Dogs in cities and big towns abroad (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Prior to setting off on our first long trip which will hopefully take in france italy and Greece we wondered how people managed with their dog when sight seeing? Do you leave him in the van or awning for a number of hours? Or do you try and take him with you? As we will be relying on public transport or taxis when we are camped up we may not always be able to take our medium-sized dog along or want to.
How do you manage the long times when a dog isn't appropriate? I love museums and anything historical. Can't imagine tying up dog outside for any length of time especially in the heat. I'd prefer not to take it in turns with partner for these visits but equally don't want to miss out.
Any thoughts?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Please also consider non dog lovers and do not leave the dog barking for hours on a campsite :xThumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We would never leave out medium dog in our motorhome and would urge others not to do so. You have no control over the weather although of course you could leave a roof light open instead of a window to avoid break ins. More importantly you have no idea if the dog is howling like goodun and destroying the peace of others who might be nearby.

We take ours on buses and trains in France and Germany but ask the driver or some official first, not normally a problem. As for taking it in turns, well thats not as bad as you think, when one goes inside somewhere the other relaxes with a coffee of a beer in either the motorhome or a nearby cafe. Then it's the other persons turn to go inside whilst the other has their own refreshment.

Most Gardens and Chateaus In France accept dogs on leads but we always telephone first to make sure. The few who have not allowed our dog don't deserve our patronage. Same applies in Germany and the Netherlands.

The one big trip we did when we had no dog was great, but all the others were also great and the slight cramp in style was worth the pleasure our dog gives us. So in short take the dog with you, please for the sake of the dog and others don't leave tin the motorhome. It's not an unmanageable problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We don't plan on doing that and,wondered how other dog owners managed?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We always put our dogs first & I know not all dogs or owners are the same, so you need to know how your dogs behave when you are not there.
We know that once ours have had a good walk they will be very happy left in the van (plenty of water & ventilation/ heat etc. as necessary) for at least 6 hours & won't make a sound unless someone touches the van.
They won't get on the furniture or do any damage but as I say all dogs/owners are different.

Deleted User
We simply can't do much sight seeing with our three, we have missed out on a lot of sights on our travelling since getting the mh.
We don't leave them in mh alone during day when abroad as it's just too hot, but we only have a pvc so might be easier in a larger one. We base our travelling around the coast and take them out with us to the beach and swim with them. We travel in low season so they are generally ok walking around towns and cities and like in the UK we sit outside bars and restaurants with no problems. In the evening they are ok left as alone as it's cooler and they are generally worn out so sleep. By the time we left Spain this year in May it was getting too hot for them to walk around during the day and way too hot to consider leaving them alone so we were very limited.
Friends of ours did a nine month tour of Europe with their Beagle and he went everywhere with them, on busses, into caves, on boats, but he is small enough to carry so they were just cheeky and asked and mostly they were ok. Their blog is called the owl and the pussycat on blogger and covers most of Europe.
I have often thought offering dog sitting at sites would be a great idea to allow time at non dog friendly places. We would certainly be happy to look after an extra dog for a few hours...not sure anyone would be the same with our three though. :)

Lin :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Around here most buses,trains, dogs are not allowed.I signed a spanish petition recently for allowing dogs on Buses in Murcia city.No idea whether it is same in other spanish regions. Peculiar really considering that small dogs are allowed on domestic spanish flights & many inter EU ones in the cabin.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We quite happily leave our dog in the van if we have to for up to about 4 hours. We can keep the van cool enough (approx 24c) with use of the Fantastic Fan, a Fiamma Fan and the external screens. By having the Fantastic Fan pulling air out and the Fiamma fan pulling air in. We know she is quite because we ask people when we get back, everyone always say she has not made a sound.

However, if we could no keep the van at this tempreture we would not leave her.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
We take our dogs with us when away from home we travel on buses or our bikes with them up front, you are restricted as to where you can go museums etc; but it was our choice to have dogs and wouldn't leave them inside the van in case they bothered other people, we can nip to a restaurant for an hour or so on an evening and just hope they are quiet ! its only once or twice and they are usually glad to lie down and sleep after a day out.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We take our dogs pretty well everywhere with us, though they can be left for a while without problems. We can be restricted where we go but often only one of us wants to go to a particular place and then the other dogsits. If necessary we will both go but not at the same time. Pubs and restaurants that don't allow dogs don't get our business.

For shopping the MH is great as one of us (me) stays behind in the MH and can run the aircon if it gets a bit warm, make myself a cup of coffee, go online or read etc and let SWMBO do the shopping, which she enjoys and I hate. I do buy the wine though as she doesn't really know what she likes, never mind what I like.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
TBH we treat our dogs away from home as we do at home. We walk them in the morning and let them sleep by leaving them in the van. We would never leave them for any length of time that we wouldnt at home. The most important thing is that our dogs always come first and if they don't fit in to the plans then the plans not a plan that's going to happen.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
IMG_20151209_053313.jpg
IMG_20151209_053349.jpg
IMG_20151209_053323.jpg

Archie goes everywhere with us. If dogs aren't allowed then we don't go. We wouldn't dream of tying him up outside somewhere.
We can leave him to his own devices in the van for 3hrs or so if required. He doesn't bark unless he hears someone beside the van.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We leave ours in the van if we have to even in summer if you park with the back to the sun or in shade if possible and open roof vents it doesn't get that hot as there is little window area and they are white for a reason!!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Please also consider non dog lovers and do not leave the dog barking for hours on a campsite :xThumb:

That's the problem.... Some don't !

We were on a site near St Austel where someone left their dog who barked all day. We left just after they did and arrived back an hour before them. Dog was at it all day apparently. There was one hell of a row between another camper and the dog owner when they returned.
Not fair on others on the site and certainly not fair on the dog !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
During the day the dogs go where we go. If the dogs aren't welcome we go somewhere else.

We do leave them in the evening if we're going out to eat or something like that but that's the only time.

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
No judgements, some people just aren't aware, but it's never a good idea to leave a dog tied up outside of shops or attractions - even for a moment. I've worked with dogs and various charities for many years, here and abroad - - it is not an exaggeration to say that dogs left outside or left alone and visible in vehicles are frequently targeted for theft. Sometimes stolen to order, sometimes held for ransom, sometimes to be sold to laboratories- or worse. It's never worth the risk.
My little dog goes where I go - I'm a solo motorhomer and I've taken her all over the continent and on various long-distance bicycle trips. It's certainly not easy as a solo - luckily she's small enough to pop in a backpack, and on the continent, it's generally no problem to do my shopping with her in a bag. I only go to visit sights and attractions where she is welcome. As you are two people, you can take turns going into shops etc while one stays with the dogs. Really can't believe people leave their dogs all day in a van - weather can change, shade spots shift, if there is a fan used, leccy can trip - not worth the worry. There was a spot on the RSPCA tv show the other day of the rescue of a dog near death, left in a hot WHITE motorhome while the owners were at a music festival. They dropped a digital thermometer in through one of the windows left cracked for the dog - 46 degrees C. Like Nick above, a couple of hours in the van on cooler evenings - after a big day out - is sensible.
Jac

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I choose my times to travel based on the temperature for the dogs. Luckily the hottest time is the School summer holidays which I also try and avoid. I have no Easter plans next year but will be off on Sep 1st down to Italy for a ferry to Corsica and on to Sardinia, while pleasantly warm, not unmanageable. With roof vents open, cab windows down a couple of inches and toilet window open (too small to get through, there is a decent circulation. Summer months are spent in the UK, but I'm still working so limited.

No one in their right mind would try and get in with my 2 Ridgebacks, if they did at least I
wouldn't have to feed them for a couple of days :xThumb:

Although, a couple of people have told me accounts of Ridgebacks letting 'visitors' in, but not letting them out, they just prowl and get between them and the door!

I do leave them in the van as I travel on my own with them, I cycle to the shops, check out the area by bike to see if there are any good spots for them without have the upheaval of using the van. They wait patiently outside the van when I head to the shower blocks and continue to watch where they last saw me! When we return home from trips the elder of the two won't get out of the van, so I think that is testament that he enjoys it!

20140923_105348.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our mutt is fine in the van .. From when he was a very young puppy we decided there was likely to be times he would not be able to be with us, so would leave him for an hour or so right from the start.
He just sleeps !!

If we are not there he behaves impeccably.. If we are there he is always up to some mischief so as to get out attention !!

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Our mutt is fine in the van .. From when he was a very young puppy we decided there was likely to be times he would not be able to be with us, so would leave him for an hour or so right from the start.
He just sleeps !!

If we are not there he behaves impeccably.. If we are there he is always up to some mischief so as to get out attention !!

Likewise, even at home, the Postman says he never hears a peep out of them, when I'm at home and something comes through the door all hell breaks loose!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back