Sky+HD (1 Viewer)

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi,I have read lots of the threads on the Sky subject but am I being a little simplistic in just buying a portable Maxview dish, a Sky+HD decoder from EBay (£110 used or £180 new),an inverter for the decoder and then take my Sky+HD card from home and use that....are there any problems?I already have an HD Ready 12 volt TV with an HDMI input.
Cheers Paul.

Hymer

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
I bought a second Sky+ box so that I didn't have to disconnect the home box each time but found that although it would receive and record all the subscribed channels it would not replay them - a message appeared saying that it was the wrong card for the box.

It is not possible to have the same card registered to more than one box at a time. It was possible however to record and replay all the BBC and ITV channels.

I suspect it will be the same with an HD card/box and possibly the HD function won't work either.

Alan

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We never bring sky with us when we are out in the camper

Wurn - do you really need it in your motorhome ???

Is it worth the extra expense xxxx

Whatever you decide good luck and happy motorhoming

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
The only reason I thought of taking Sky along was as alot of sites have poor terrestrial TV reception and I would have to buy a Freesat tuner anyway I thought that as I already pay for Sky +HD why not buy that tuner instead and then I can watch the cricket,tennis etc. which isnt available on Freesat.Do I understand then that if I take my home tuner there is no problem?
Cheers::bigsmile:

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
I bought a second Sky+ box so that I didn't have to disconnect the home box each time but found that although it would receive and record all the subscribed channels it would not replay them - a message appeared saying that it was the wrong card for the box.

It is not possible to have the same card registered to more than one box at a time. It was possible however to record and replay all the BBC and ITV channels.

I suspect it will be the same with an HD card/box and possibly the HD function won't work either.

Alan
The recording bit doesnt bother me,just wondered if it would work.
Thanks Alan::bigsmile:

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You have two choices.

1) Pay £10 per month extra to Sky for "multiroom" nominating your extra sky HD box - sky will send you a card for the second box and you will be able to watch all the channels you currently pay for.

2) Take your HD box with you from home.

N.b.

a) To be able to use the record 1 prog whilst watching another you need to have a twin LNB and 2 cables to the box. Same for Sky Anytime - If you only have a single LNB it should be in input 1.

b) to watch a recorded prog you still need to have a signal so that your box can verify you are entitled to watch it.

c) A Sky + or HD box records the signal and not the A/V so the recording is still encrypted

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we have a sky plus box at home, and a sky normal box in the van (a pace javelin, the dinky little 12 volt box)

i've always had a free sat card in the vans box, but i have been told that if you don't subscribe to any premium chanels (sports or movies) then the card can be registered in another box without having to phone up sky all the time, i havent tried this yet as i'm in the middle of re-doing half the vans electrics as i fit a new larger battery bank.

usually you have to phone sky up to get the card re-married to another box, and if you do that every weekend they are going to rumble you, as your not supposed to have a sky box in a motorhome, something about the laws about where the chanels can be recieved... only in england, and as a motorhome/caravan can be taken abroad easily, they can cancel your existing sky subscription, so keep quiet about having sky in the motorhome if you ever have to phone em up with a fault.

anyhoo, to marry the card to a different box, if you dont have any premium chanels, then put the card in the vans box, it'll say it's the wrong card, press 'services-4-0-1-select'

that's the engineering menu to asign the card to the box it's in, if you have the premium chanels, then the box needs to be connected to a phone line, so i guess you could do that temporarily with an extension lead from the master socket in the house to the van.
once it's married the card to the new box, the line can be disconnected...

unless you have the multiroom thingy, then you need both boxes connected to the same phone line in the house, as that's how they tell that you have both boxes and cards at the same addy, they dont want people getting multiroom then selling the extra box and card to someone else for more than a tenner but less than the sky package price, which no doubt people have done in the past.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
you can use ANY sky card in ANY sky box.

however, you can only view the sky sports and sky movie channels onthe box that the card is paired to.

I think you can use a sky card with HD channels on any sky hd box, again to view all but the sports and movie channels.

you can use a sky+/hd enabled card in any sky+/hd box and recorfd and playback ANY freetoair channels, but the recording and playback of subscritpion channels is only available on the paired box.

if you have the premium chanels, then the box needs to be connected to a phone line
sorry, that is incorrect. you do not need a phone line for the premium sports and movie channels (unless by premium you mean pay per view!) you only need a phone line if your box is part of a multiroom agreement, your equipment is in still inside the 12 month "discounted sky installation agreement", or to use any pay interactive services ie voting or buying things (from QVC of PPV)

hope thie helps

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
we have a sky plus box at home, and a sky normal box in the van (a pace javelin, the dinky little 12 volt box)

i've always had a free sat card in the vans box, but i have been told that if you don't subscribe to any premium chanels (sports or movies) then the card can be registered in another box without having to phone up sky all the time, i havent tried this yet as i'm in the middle of re-doing half the vans electrics as i fit a new larger battery bank.

usually you have to phone sky up to get the card re-married to another box, and if you do that every weekend they are going to rumble you, as your not supposed to have a sky box in a motorhome, something about the laws about where the chanels can be recieved... only in england, and as a motorhome/caravan can be taken abroad easily, they can cancel your existing sky subscription, so keep quiet about having sky in the motorhome if you ever have to phone em up with a fault.

anyhoo, to marry the card to a different box, if you dont have any premium chanels, then put the card in the vans box, it'll say it's the wrong card, press 'services-4-0-1-select'

that's the engineering menu to asign the card to the box it's in, if you have the premium chanels, then the box needs to be connected to a phone line, so i guess you could do that temporarily with an extension lead from the master socket in the house to the van.
once it's married the card to the new box, the line can be disconnected...

unless you have the multiroom thingy, then you need both boxes connected to the same phone line in the house, as that's how they tell that you have both boxes and cards at the same addy, they dont want people getting multiroom then selling the extra box and card to someone else for more than a tenner but less than the sky package price, which no doubt people have done in the past.

Thanks,this is the sort of info I am after.Isnt life complicated?:thumb:

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No

however, you can only view the sky sports and sky movie channels onthe box that the card is paired to.

I think you can use a sky card with HD channels on any sky hd box, again to view all but the sports and movie channels.

you can use a sky+/hd enabled card in any sky+/hd box and recorfd and playback ANY freetoair channels, but the recording and playback of subscritpion channels is only available on the paired box.

sorry, that is incorrect. you do not need a phone line for the premium sports and movie channels (unless by premium you mean pay per view!) you only need a phone line if your box is part of a multiroom agreement, your equipment is in still inside the 12 month "discounted sky installation agreement", or to use any pay interactive services ie voting or buying things (from QVC of PPV)

hope thie helps

Thanks ,just about got that so will give it a go:thumb:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

yup, but you still need to pair the card to the box, usually it's done by phoning sky up and telling them you have a new box and want to keep your old card,
but it'll soon get annoying not to mention get them wondering what your upto if you phone em up every friday, and then again sunday evening to get it put back.

hence the installer menu thing, i havent tried it my self yet, i have my new batteries in the van but havent got the connecting link cables yet, so cant power it up to try it out (well i could, but i'd rather not atm)

i was just saying that i've been told that as long as you dont have premium channels, then you can pair a card with a box off line, but with premium chanels it needs the phone connection for the pairing thing, i cant test that bit out as i dont bother with premium chanels.

i think most of us know sky want their boxes connected to phone lines inthe hope you'll use the interactive services, for which they get paid for from your phone bill for using them,
when on a phone line the box phones home every so often too... sky wont tell you what for, but plenty of people rekon it's to report your viewing habits.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
yup, but you still need to pair the card to the box, usually it's done by phoning sky up and telling them you have a new box and want to keep your old card, ".
again only if you want to watch the sports and movie channel son your "non main box"....
and if youwant to activate your new white card inthe correct box...

so if youwant to use your sky card in another box for a short time and you are not worried aboiut watching the premium channels then you dont have to call and get your card pair...as you will still be able to view all the "6 mix" channels without pairing.

hence the installer menu thing, i havent tried it my self yet, i have my new batteries in the van but havent got the connecting link cables yet, so cant power it up to try it out (well i could, but i'd rather not atm)".

the option is only for activation of a NEW sky card, not the transfer of a card from one box to another. to transfer a sky card you must call a sky operator.

i was just saying that i've been told that as long as you dont have premium channels, then you can pair a card with a box off line, but with premium chanels it needs the phone connection for the pairing thing, i cant test that bit out as i dont bother with premium chanels..
sky pair the card using a signal over the satellite - not by the phone line...however sometimes they may ask you to perform a "callback" to the sky system so that they have all the box details for the pairing.
like i said it is only for two things that your card needs to be paired to the box....for the sports and movie channels, and it activate your new white sky card in the correct box.

i think most of us know sky want their boxes connected to phone lines inthe hope you'll use the interactive services, for which they get paid for from your phone bill for using them,
when on a phone line the box phones home every so often too... sky wont tell you what for, but plenty of people rekon it's to report your viewing habits.

the boxes are connected tot he phone line for a number of reasons....
firstly so that sky can ensure that their discounted installation boxes and multiromm card and boxes are at the location that the contract was for - by checking the phone line id.

they are also required to be connected to the phoneline for activation of new cards, pay per view movies, any interactive services like shopping on qvc or voting on strictlybigbrothercelebsinthejungleonice

it does not reports back viewing habits. as the boxes do not have the ability to remember what channels you have been watching. viewing habits are reported by BARB and use a seperate settop box.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back