Free Member
Jul 29, 2015
Bury Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E645
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I'm looking at fitting a solar panel Andy.
I know what it does but want to know the difference

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Use 512 like most others do :xThumb:

Broken Link Removed

EDIT There's at least 40 panels being driven around that I'm responsible for. No one has one on the road behind yet :xlaugh:

Sika 512 is National Caravan Council Approved, and as one of the worlds biggest and trusted manufacturers Sikaflex 512 Caravan will work!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sikaflex 552 White Elastic Adhesive Fixing 300ml For Caravan Motor Home Boat Solar Panel Mounting
  • UV, ageing and weathering resistant
  • Bonds well to a wide variety of substrates with practically no need for priming.
  • Capable of withstanding high dynamic stresses
  • Can be overpainted, Low odour, Non-corrosive
  • VOC and solvent free, Silicone and PVC free
Designed to bond well to a range of surfaces such as ceramic materials, plastic and aluminium, Sikaflex 552 is UV and weather resistant and is capable of withstanding high dynamic stresses.

Sikaflex 521 300ml Multipurpose White Adhesive Sealant For Caravan Motor Home Boat Solar Panel Mounting Wood Metal Fixing

• UV, ageing and weathering resistant
  • Bonds well to a wide variety of substrates with practically no need for priming.
  • Capable of withstanding high dynamic stresses
  • Can be overpainted, Low odour, Non-corrosive
  • VOC and solvent free, Silicone and PVC free
Designed to bond well to a wide variety of surfaces such as wood and metal this high quality adhesive is UV and weather resistant and can be sanded and over-painted.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
The real difference is the workable temperature that you can work with them, which is an important feature when fixing in the winter months ! frommemory but I could be wrong the lower temp one is 512. Do check it ! ;)

PS when you come across a cheap offer, check its' best by date, it DOES go out of date cheappie offers are often past sell by date, stock clearance ! so beware !!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The real difference is the workable temperature that you can work with them, which is an important feature when fixing in the winter months ! frommemory but I could be wrong the lower temp one is 512. Do check it ! ;)
requires a minimum of 5C (throughout the setting period)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
5C (throughout the setting period)

Yup Andy, think the others are higher temp requirements?? It was important to me as we can sometimes achieve 5 degs in Scotland in winter, but not much higher !! and I didn't want to wait till July !! (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

PS when you come across a cheap offer, check its' best by date, it DOES go out of date cheappie offers are often past sell by date, stock clearance ! so beware !!
No real danger though - if it's out of date it's usually impossible to get it out of the tube :).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No real danger though - if it's out of date it's usually impossible to get it out of the tube :).
Actually of the 4 tubes I bought at the car boot sale, 2 were in date until August 2015 and 2 until May 2015, as it was August when I did the solar panel I thought I'd try the 'out of date' May ones first and it came out of the tube no problem ... gotta find something to stick with the other 3 now to get my money's worth out of them! :xgrin:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
get it out of the tube
no problem

Was just a heads up comment as the first one I got off ebay wouldn't come out. Well not very easy so reordered fresh ones from a chandler.

Actually in the end as my experience had dented my confidence, the Black and Decker came out and I BOLTED the sod down as well. Yes through the ROOF !!! but she ain't going nowhere without the rest of the WHOLE roof !! maybe that should be the holed roof ? :whistle2:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Was just a heads up comment as the first one I got off ebay wouldn't come out. Well not very easy so reordered fresh ones from a chandler.

Actually in the end as my experience had dented my confidence, the Black and Decker came out and I BOLTED the sod down as well. Yes through the ROOF !!! but she ain't going nowhere without the rest of the WHOLE roof !! maybe that should be the holed roof ? :whistle2:
Believe me you KNOW it's still usable when it sticks to everything in sight ... trust me I know!!! I had it on my hands, jeans etc for weeks afterwards!! :xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back