Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
I'm sure this has been covered before but I'll try again. I would like a small heater to use in the Motorhome when I'm on hook up. If this could be used as just a fan in warm weather that would be great too - but not essential. I've seem some in Argos and other shops but I have no idea if they would be too strong for the electricity on sites. The whole thing of amps, watts and volts has me totally confused. There's an oil filled radiator in Lidl today - but I'm not sure if the power ratings are suitable.
Broken Link Removed
Also I'm quite limited on space as my van is quite a small PVC that's why I think a blow heater might be better. And advice would be appreciated

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I would opt for a small fan heater. Something like this on Amazon for £7.98 including delivery:

Amazon product ASIN B00F41JZ6K
Just noticed you are in Ireland and the link I have given is Amazon.uk

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Don't know why the link did not appear in my post. It is:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
1500 Watts is gonna draw a tad over 8 amps.. given that a lot of sites nowadays are limited to 6amps max I would not go there..
There is also the issue of time to warm a van using one of that type.
As mentioned by Flamenca, I would ( and in fact have ) go for a small fan heater

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, a small fan heater would probably come in handy, like the one above. They don't weigh a lot.

Most low-cost fans have two heat settings 1kw (1,000 watts) or 2kw (2,000 watts).

So, if your hook-up provides 6 amps, for example - and you haven't got much else on apart from say your fridge and battery charger - you should be OK running the fan on 1kw.

If you've got 10-16 amps available at the hook-up, you should be OK with 2kw.

But in a small PVC you'll find the 1kw heater will generally warm things up nicely after a fairly short while, unless it is VERY cold.

Best not to leave it on while you're asleep though - for safety.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Oil-filled radiators are good for background heat, and can be left on overnight.

But, they are heavier and somewhat bulkier than fans.

We used to carry both sorts of auxiliary heating and in the case of oil-filled rads, we had 2 - one was rated 600 watts, and the other 1,000 watts.

I say used, because we've got a new PVC on order and have electric blown air heating as well as gas. Also electric underfloor heating. So not sure if we'll take any extra heating kit - hopefully not.

OP
OP
Lookaround

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Oil-filled radiators are good for background heat, and can be left on overnight.

But, they are heavier and somewhat bulkier than fans.

We used to carry both sorts of auxiliary heating and in the case of oil-filled rads, we had 2 - one was rated 600 watts, and the other 1,000 watts.

I say used, because we've got a new PVC on order and have electric blown air heating as well as gas. Also electric underfloor heating. So not sure if we'll take any extra heating kit - hopefully not.

Sounds like pure bliss!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Just remember:- Watts equals Amps x Volts...
You can then transpose this anyway you want..
SO, if you divide the Wattage by the Voltage that will tell you how many Amps you will be drawing...
So, a 2Kw heater will draw 8.333333 Amps (for example).
Hope this helps...
Mitch.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We use a Fan heater too. 1Kw and 2Kw settings. keeps the feet toasty!!. and weighs very little. (Home Bargains I think?)

Pete
We do too, and when our last one gave up in Germany, we bought this one as a replacement.

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde...ct.html?id=5042896&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=Fan

I'm very pleased with it...............and it's safety features. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
We bought a little fan type heater, one of the best things I can say we have bought.
It gets used!

Arrived late PM today in Harrogate and a bit cool.
Blown air on mains but takes a good while to get Lola warmed up
Put the blower on for a while and as warm as toast.
That is until I have to open the door to get mi Chinese I have ordered for delivery :)

I have also the opinion the ten quid heater is disposable so can be used until goosed.
Saves my built in unit, ten quid won't go far in repair or replacement for that!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS, from Harrogate, soon Belgium

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
  1. We were away last week and it was cold. To heat the van up quickly I select both gas and electric on the Truma, this is 8Kw of heat, once warmed I then select electric only, 2Kw of heat. Once below about 4C outside I use a small fan heater place in the cab on 1Kw to boost the Truma heating rather than use gas. Works fine for us

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back