MH in storage. Leisure battery flat - does it matter? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi All,
My MH is laid up for the winter a short distance from home. It is covered with a four-ply cover; all very nice, but it obscures the solar panel and hence, no charge going to the batteries.

I check the Mo-Ho every few days and when I switched the 'master' on yesterday, the meter on the panel showed zero! The electric step worked, but that's about all. No Hab' lights, nuffink! Don't know what's draining the leisure battery, there's nothing on to drain it?

I ran the engine up for 10 mins or so and the hab batt' came up to 12v on the panel.

Anyway; excuse my naïvety, but does it matter? I read on other posts that if the batt shows zero, it's mullah'd. Will it really do any damage to leave it flat? Won't be using the van until Jan/Feb.

• Can't charge the battery on hookup - coz it's not at home
  • Don't want to give the van a run because it's an effort to cover/re-cover
  • Should I just take the battery off and bring it indoors to trickle-charge it?
  • Will it be damaged if I do nothing?
PS. Ideally, I would like to 'let' a transparent panel into the cover so that the solar could top up the charge. Problem with that is, I ain't got an industrial sewing machine AND it would (perhaps) affect the cover's resale value if I sold it.

Any comments welcomed.
James

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
YES it will ruin the battery allowing it to go flat and stay that way. below 11v is bad for the battery, below 10v is normally fatal

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
a company that makes or repairs lorry curtainsides and tarpaulins is the best place to have the cover altered. do a google search for tarpaulin repairs in your home town

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Its common problem. I had the same with my vehicle battery as it would only last 2 weeks before it dies on me. I would charge it fully then disconnect the negative terminal from the leisure battery and see if that preserves the charge. you can reconnect in a couple of weeks and if it is still fully charged that may do the trick. It worked for me on the vehicle battery.

Let me know how you get on

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
If you leave the battery flat and in situ ,the plates will suphate and render it useless. It needs to be charged roughly once a month or left on a automatic charger.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I feel I should know the answer as I am sure it has been mentioned in the past, but what Motorhome do you have James ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the battery is flat and has been for a while it really won't matter..... It won't hold a full charge when you do charge it.
If storage is secure and for the winter I would fit a new battery in the spring when you next use it.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
For what its worth, I would never put a cover over my Moho.
A/. no solar
B/. no natural air circulation
C/.Will increase the cold and damp due to lack of natural sunlight.
but thats my view(n)
I take mine out every week or so for a short run in the depths of winter just to keep everything ticking over HTH'S

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
In storage my leisure battery is quickly discharged by the reversing camera. Take it home and keep it charged

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I would also say remove the cover and sell it, let the sun get to the solar panel and fresh air to the van. You could also then take it for a trip out as a treat.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Keep any battery charged will extend it's life. In your case you might be lucky and with a good 3/4 stage charger it might recover. Please keep your batteries topped up.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
For what its worth, I would never put a cover over my Moho.
A/. no solar
B/. no natural air circulation
C/.Will increase the cold and damp due to lack of natural sunlight.
but thats my view(n)
I take mine out every week or so for a short run in the depths of winter just to keep everything ticking over HTH'S
Disagree entirely except the solar bit

If you take it for a run get the exhaust very hot, don't just fill it full of condensation on a short run, it will sit with water in and rot

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all for your replies. @TheBig1 Thanks for your suggestion regarding getting a solar access panel cut into the cover by tarpaulin company.

@Jaws its a 2014 Majestic 155 from the Marquis stable (updated Autoquest in other words!) . It is a brilliant MH with no probs.

I know there's always a debate about covers. Must admit I don't find that it makes my MH damp. Although breathable, I do roll it back from time to time to let fresh air and sunlight in. However, I don't remove it completely. I try not to be a 'fair weather' Motorhomer, but the vagaries of where I park mean that I can't always get the MH out to give it a run. It's such a convenient place and it's FREE but as its a shared place, I have to swallow the fact that I'm blocked in sometimes. At least no one can nick it!

Hope that explains a few things? It's not that I'm lazy :xshout:

Looks like I'm gonna have to get the spanners out then, hump the battery home and source a tarp' company to make a transparent 'hole' for next year.

One more question; with the leisure battery removed, does that affect the links to the vehicle battery?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One more question; with the leisure battery removed, does that affect the links to the vehicle battery?
only if you start the engine with no battery in place as the positive terminal will go live and if not insulated short to earth. or if you connect a mains cable the charger will go live too

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
only if you start the engine with no battery in place as the positive terminal will go live and if not insulated short to earth. or if you connect a mains cable the charger will go live too
Good point...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Cover ends pf live terminal so if it does in advertantly touch something or you start the van , there isn't a problem.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
UPDATE: You did ask!

Funsters being knowledgeable, I have followed your advice!

I unzipped and rolled up the side of the cover today and used some clamps to keep it up whilst busying myself with the external battery locker. (Had to roll the cover up, otherwise it would be like one of those army assault course obstacles where you have to crawl under a cammo' net :D)

Whipped the battery out (hernia in the process) and put enough tape on the exposed cables to put the van over-weight! It deffo won't short out if I do start the van - it will just take me an hour to get the tape off again!

Anyway, it's in my garage now and on charge. I put a meter across it before charging and it showed 10v. One volt below the dreaded 11v where Funsters advise chucking it and buying another.

And finally......
1. Once I'd taped up, tidied up and re-covered the van, I realised that the electric step was down. Prat!
2. I'm wondering if not putting any distilled water in the battery for fourteen months has made a difference? (I thought the batt' was maintainance free! (n)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Anyway, it's in my garage now and on charge. I put a meter across it before charging and it showed 10v. One volt below the dreaded 11v where Funsters advise chucking it and buying another.
good luck with that, and dont forget to check it is actually taking a charge

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Yep, letting it go dry has definitely not helped. But top it up with distilled water ( or rainwater ) and I reckon it may even come up a tad.
Then 4 stage charger and good luck.
Mitch.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I bought one of those battery checkers that garages use, they put a large load across the battery for 10 secs and you watch the built in volt meter to see the volt drop.
Just putting a volt meter across is not a good test
Of the bank of batteries on my bench 80% failed and were chucked

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Ideally, I would like to 'let' a transparent panel into the cover so that the solar could top up the charge. Problem with that is, I ain't got an industrial sewing machine

a company that makes or repairs lorry curtainsides and tarpaulins is the best place to have the cover altered. do a google search for tarpaulin repairs in your home town
@wingman If you ever find yourself over on the Welsh Borders, my B-i-L has a workshop on Shobdon Airfield where he makes covers - mostly for light aircraft. He also does re-upholstery for classic & vintage vehicles & makes fishing nets for the Antarctic fishing survey vessels. An unusual mix, but he was a marine biologist/engineer in an earlier life, so designed the nets for his team's use.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Don't know what's draining the leisure battery, there's nothing on to drain it?

Most "Modern" vehicle systems have "Ghost" drains, small current draws which combined will take down a battery in short order!. Trackers, Alarms, EMU`s, Clocks! even? and that is before the "natural" tendency of batteries to lose charge when not used. you need a small charging current just to maintain them. I had a small "Suitcase" type Solar panel which was just enough to keep the battery from deteriorating through a winter, and which stood on the roof when in storage, secured by a bungee. and facing South!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back