Canterbury New Dover Road Park & Ride .. being used by car drivers. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Apparent abuse of dedicated motorhome parking at Canterbury P&R ..

copied from the other channel

car drivers have parked in 13 of the 20 spaces!

Hyundai that has parked over the grey/black dump point.

Some poor bloke and his missus have just arrived and there is nowhere to park.

20151205_143604.jpg
20151205_143632.jpg

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
If the ring the number given on the pay machine,explain the problem ,some one should come out and fine them,better still take pictures,of car as prove,park so they cannot get out!!!,right across there backside!!!my daughter did it all the time on disabled bays,when no blue badge was in window?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The number for the Parking Enforcement Team is published on the council web site - 01227 862 429. I'm sure Colin Perris, who is in charge of parking at Canterbury City Council, will soon sort it out as he is very supportive of providing facilities for motorhomers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looking at the photo, the rest of the park does seem full, could these cars have been told to park there as an overspill, as there doesn't seem to be many mhs on there.
Just asking, not arguing

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Christmas shoppers I expect?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looking at the photo, the rest of the park does seem full, could these cars have been told to park there as an overspill, as there doesn't seem to be many mhs on there.
Just asking, not arguing

the only people who can answer that is the person in @GJH 's post

somehow I doubt it..

I've also seen the same in France, motorhome aires filled by cars.. .. law of the jungle..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just asking, not arguing
the only people who can answer that is the person in @GJH 's post

somehow I doubt it..

I've also seen the same in France, motorhome aires filled by cars.. .. law of the jungle..
I doubt it as well. There are plenty of other places for cars to park in Canterbury. Probably too lazy to look for a space like people who park in caravan bays at MSAs.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would park across the back of the cars and block them in for a few hours. Regarding the sign, it's very clear, "motor caravans only" and the car crossed out. It's not the only sign either.
These are probably the sort of people who park in disabled/ parent and toddler bays, and complain if they get a ticket for parking on double yellow lines because " they only popped into the shop for a minute/ are dropping the kids off at school"
I remember in a previous life seeing a car parked on the zigzags approaching a zebra crossing while the driver popped out and bought a bag of chips. He ended up with a £60 ticket and 3 points on his licence, oh, and cold chips. Happy days!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There is a huge new over-spill area but it entails walking about 100 Yards more to the bus stop. Christmas shopper do want to do that do they. I think Colin will deal with this or the attendant on duty would, if he knew about it. The thing that happens is that one driver see an open area and then parks there the other come along and see him there and do likewise.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Canterbury has three designated places just for m/H,lots of spaces for cars as well,these car people are just to lazy to bother finding another car space!!!!

I know this area very well,as I live 15 miles from Canterbury,takes photo,s send them to the council or phone the number provided.

I like to think I am a fair minded person ,but this plus people parking in disabled bays,makes me angry,they think they can get away with it because it's often private,but Canterbury isn't,. If complaints are made ,they will do something about it!!

Reactions: GJH

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I remember in a previous life seeing a car parked on the zigzags approaching a zebra crossing while the driver popped out and bought a bag of chips
I have also seen that on a regular basis on an evening.
Car stops on zigzags at a crossing then driver pops into the pizza shop dead opposite the car.
Can be there for 15 to 20 minutes while the pizza cooks.

And the car is.........a marked police patrol car.

I often wondered what would happen if i pulled in behimd him on the zigzags..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have also seen that on a regular basis on an evening.
Car stops on zigzags at a crossing then driver pops into the pizza shop dead opposite the car.
Can be there for 15 to 20 minutes while the pizza cooks.

And the car is.........a marked police patrol car.

I often wondered what would happen if i pulled in behimd him on the zigzags..
Take photo,send in ,soon stop.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just asking, not arguing

Rules can't be changed just to suit though surely ?
I don't park in an empty disabled bay just because the rest of a car park is full..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Rules can't be changed just to suit though surely ?
I don't park in an empty disabled bay just because the rest of a car park is full..
That is not what I suggested, they aren't disabled bays, and I just said they might have been told to park there, how can we tell by just looking at a photo, otherwise I would assume they would all get a fine.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
the car park has been extended
Arrived at Park and Ride early this morning (6.15am) and 7 motor homes already here. After catching some shuteye, only 3 of us left. No cars parked in this section now. So all's good.
I guess its mainly a weekend problem then. Shame no one emptied their black waste over the Hyundai.........

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
That is not what I suggested, they aren't disabled bays, and I just said they might have been told to park there, how can we tell by just looking at a photo, otherwise I would assume they would all get a fine.

But who would this mystery advisor be . A Copper ? I doubt it there aren't any left.. Well not on foot. A traffic warden ? Doubt it cos he would likely get the tin tack for advising people to park in areas they are prohibited to park in....
Imagine if the authorities were called out to ticket cars and they point the finger at someone and say he told me I could .

I hope the comments about putting Tom tit on cars blocking them in or letting tyres down were in jest cos any of those could be construed as either obstruction or criminal damage.

Two wrongs don't make s right after all. Surely we are to civilised to do anything that daft.

Reactions: DBK

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I doubt anyone would authorise people to park in the aire, a police officer would have no authority to do that, should you be lucky enough to find one and get him/her to do anything for you. There is usually someone in the office at the bus stop but I doubt if reallocating parking would be something they were allowed to do. It's just people parking where they want and s*d everyone else.
It would only be an obstruction if you stopped someone already travelling, from getting somewhere.
I say block them in.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but just think of the satisfaction.......

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I doubt anyone would authorise people to park in the aire, a police officer would have no authority to do that, should you be lucky enough to find one and get him/her to do anything for you. There is usually someone in the office at the bus stop but I doubt if reallocating parking would be something they were allowed to do. It's just people parking where they want and s*d everyone else.
It would only be an obstruction if you stopped someone already travelling, from getting somewhere.
I say block them in.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but just think of the satisfaction.......

Allan.... To some extent I agree. But I would derive little satisfaction from lowering myself to their level..

Please be assured that is not a comment aimed at you in a derogatory fashion. Each to there own and all that !

Reactions: GBS

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I e-mailed Canterbury Council after the 1st post and have just received this reply:

POST OUT PR0990/LS/New Dover Road P&R

Dear xxx

Thank you for your email.

I will arrange for visits to be stepped up to enforce to those vehicles found to be in contravention of the parking restrictions.

Yours sincerely,

Lynda Shattell

Lynda Shattell

Civil Enforcement Team Leader

Canterbury City Council

Military Road

CANTERBURY

Kent

CT1 1YW

Email: Lynda.shattell@canterbury.gov.uk

Telephone: 01227 862585

Mobile: 07860 917211