Alde pump (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Just some advice needed.
Picked up the van today following the Worksop having it for 3 weeks . The Alde pump was replaced and tonight after driving 3 hours we booked on a site and set the heating. Unfortunately, the heating is not working , the boiler is heating up but the pump is not working. It may be something that I'm not doing but I've looked at everything . I can't contact the Worksop until Monday .
Any suggestions gratefully received .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Depends on the model but have you turned up the room thermostat.

On mine, a 3030 model, the stat controls the pump not the boiler.
The boiler has its own internal stat.
Also, you have turned the control to hot water AND heating ?
Hot water only will not turn on the pump.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Depends on the model but have you turned up the room thermostat.

On mine, a 3030 model, the stat controls the pump not the boiler.
The boiler has its own internal stat.
Also, you have turned the control to hot water AND heating ?
Hot water only will not turn on the pump.

Thx for your reply Pappa John ours is a 3032 , we have the room thermo up high . We only want heating not hot water but have both pressed on both.
We had a new pump fitted due to the last one being noisy . The old system was only 9 months old.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If your pump is like mine it is a small motor with a long impellor shaft going into the header tank.

If so, remove the pump completely from the tank then turn it on.
If it spins you have an air lock in the system stopping the circulation.

If it is airlocked it can take an hour or more to sort it as the front then rear of the van need to be raised as high as possible to help the air find its way out.

I have just done this on my caravan....lower the nose as far as possible until the A frame was resting on the ground then run the heating while opening the bleed screws.
Raise the front using a high lift farm jack....back of van on the ground, A frame around 4ft off the ground then do the bleed valves again.
Obviously with a motorhome you need a steep incline....or the genuine alde filling/bleeding tool

A couple of up and down cycles got the system working again.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
on ours we have a symbol to show the pump is running, top row far right, a ring of arrows I think

you really would like to think they tried it before sending you away!

might be worth just turning the stat down and back up again, see if the pump symbol goes off and back on (presuming you have one), one thing I have noticed is Alde change there controllers more often than we change our bedding, don't think I have seen 2 the same yet

I feel for you, nothing worse than having something that wasn't quite broken fixed and it coming back worse :(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can have hot water only but not heating only.....its a common burner with two concentric water jackets....ie, one inside the other, and the heating jacket is the inner and relies on heat transfer from it to the hot water jacket to heat up tap water.
This allows the heating to work even if the hot water jacket is drained down.

Its the pump which determines if heating is on or not by stopping/starting the already heated water circulating.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
on ours the pump needs to be set to thermal rarther than continuious for the stat to control it this is done in the menu on the touch screen.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
on ours the pump needs to be set to thermal rarther than continuious for the stat to control it this is done in the menu on the touch screen.
Mine is a far older system with a manual 4 switch control panel

Alde dont make it easy using so many different panels thats for sure.

Oh, and mine is a 3020 compact model.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Check your day and night settings are turned off. If you go to alde heating 3020 it shows you how to work your control panel.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Might be a daft question , we only want the heating on not hot water would it affect things if we have no water in the fresh water tank? I didn't think it mattered if it was full or empty .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
as PPJ has said above you cant have heating without hot water

I would have thought the Alde controller would be flashing an error for no water though if that was the issue

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
It will run without water in the hot water system But it is NOT ADVISABLE to then fill the water system while the boiler is hot as you will hear the boiler protest as the cold water hits it as it fills.
Best of luck Cliff

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
I have heard that the some systems fitted will not work if your fresh water tank is empty. Why this is done I do not know but it is worth putting some water in to try.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thank you for all your replies.
Heating still not working , I've filled the water tank up.
I have emailed Alde and will contact the workshop tomorrow for a chat!
As side note London to Cheshire to collect a van which I was informed twice the boiler was working and then to find it doesn't . I hope it is operator error if not firm words.
Once again thanks for your advice .

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Good morning @Kevinthecat. Have you had any luck with your heating. Have you checked the pump connection to make sure you have a good contact.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Morning
Good morning @Kevinthecat. Have you had any luck with your heating. Have you checked the pump connection to make sure you have a good contact.[/QUOTE

Morning pops , heating still not working here . I've looked at things under the bed where the boiler etc is and all connections look ok.
Plenty of hot water but no heating .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thank you for all your replies.
Heating still not working , I've filled the water tank up.
I have emailed Alde and will contact the workshop tomorrow for a chat!
As side note London to Cheshire to collect a van which I was informed twice the boiler was working and then to find it doesn't . I hope it is operator error if not firm words.
Once again thanks for your advice .

And I don't suppose you chose to stay over in Cheshire, if you have half my luck you would be back near home again, heres hoping its something you haven't spotted yet, glad it had been mildish outside

BTW the hob makes a good short term heater, as does running the engine, hope it gets sorted tomorrow at latest :)

Last edited:

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
On ours we have a frost control dump valve, this opens below five degrees if not in use, would be worth checking to make sure closed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As pops said, check the electrical connectors on wthe pump.
Mine were mini spade crimps, one of which wasnt tight causing intermittent operation due to the vibration of the pump when running.
If you have a multimeter check there is 12v at the pump.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Glad to hear you got some heating sorted. You are only 25 miles away from where I live. Our you heading back to Chester or going home.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Glad to hear you got some heating sorted. You are only 25 miles away from where I live. Our you heading back to Chester or going home.

We are going back to London tomorrow , once I've called the workshop. I think Alde have a mobile workshop , so I will see if I can arrange a visit from them. It's under warranty , I just feel angry that the workshop told me it had been sorted when obviously it hadn't .

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Our new Bailey has alde 3020 all worked fine until motorhome show Lincoln when no heating but hot water turned out the pump was set for 240 volt mains only has for a caravan was not aware of this until engineer showed me the setting

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Just a quick update , the heating is now working . It appears that the work shop had wired the connection differently from what Alde would have done. I spoke to Alde this morning , they were extremely helpful and the lovely customer support woman talked me through it. (Thank you )
Yeah !!
Thank you for all your advice and responses much appreciated

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good result :), glad you could get easy access to your system, ours virtually needs a garage rebuild to get at any components

How did the workshop test yours if it was wired wrong?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We are going back to London tomorrow , once I've called the workshop. I think Alde have a mobile workshop , so I will see if I can arrange a visit from them. It's under warranty , I just feel angry that the workshop told me it had been sorted when obviously it hadn't .

yes they have mobile engineers..came out to us years ago we live in London as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back