Mohawk Battery drain (2 Viewers)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
While still trying to workout why I have a battery drain of 5 amps I had the floor up to charge the vehicle battery, in the battery compartment there is loose wiring with a black oblong plug on the end that is the same that's on the hab batteries, anyone know what is for? Not sure if it's connected to the vehicle battery as the wire disappears under the floor.

Waiting for Sargents to get back to me on the 5amp drain

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
No it's deffinatly a plug, just wondered what it plugged into.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Is it for plug in diagnosis perhaps?

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Sue,

I don't think so it looks like it maybe to charge the Vehicle battery from something or other, solar maybe, I didn't have time to have a good look to where the wires went. Will have a better look tomorrow.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
On Autotrails for a long time now there is always a socket next to the leisure battery ready to connect a second battery. It usually has a cover over the end to keep it clean. The cable required is available from Sargent or Autotrail.
As for one being next to the cab battery I am not sure...
Autotrails have a constant drain but only about 0.2-0.3 amps. 5 amp is big ! Do you have a water heater ? Light on in garage/ lockers ?

Why did you get the floor up to charge the battery ???? Just plug in the EHU and set the control panel to "smart" and it will do both..

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
On Autotrails for a long time now there is always a socket next to the leisure battery ready to connect a second battery. It usually has a cover over the end to keep it clean. The cable required is available from Sargent or Autotrail.
Autotrails have a constant drain but only about 0.2-0.3 amps. 5 amp is big ! Do you have a water heater ? Light on in garage/ lockers ?

Why did you get the floor up to charge the battery ???? Just plug in the EHU and set the control panel to "smart" and it will do both..

Hi Tonka,

No water heater have checked the lights and none on, I have pulled all the fuses one by one and not lost the discharge. It may be a problem with the PSU or the panel giving false info, the panel is reading half waste water but it's empty and I know the panel is not that reliable.

I realise it will charge using the smart facility setup but I wanted to use my intelligent charger.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

As @tonka says - this is exactly as my Tracker is. Autotrail fit the wiring for a 2nd battery and leave a plug for the extra loom. You can buy the extra loom with fitted plug from Autotrail for around £20. There is another company that does them cheaper but alas I dont have a link.

Also the "brainy" charger just switches between leisure and vehicle battery as it thinks fit. so just plug in the motorhome to mains and it sorts it out.
Its a straight connect to 2nd battery and plug in loom. :xThumb:

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
MikeD

I have the second hab battery setup, this is in the vehicle battery box, the plug is the same as the hab battery loom but obviously I can't get 2 vehicle batteries side by side so I wonder what its there for.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
MikeD

I have the second hab battery setup, this is in the vehicle battery box, the plug is the same as the hab battery loom but obviously I can't get 2 vehicle batteries side by side so I wonder what its there for.

Not sure on a Mohawk but the tracker leisure battery is mounted below the floor in a locker.
The second extra leisure battery is now mounted above the original in the locker in a vented plastic box. The extra wiring loom for me was long enough so it was just a plug in and clamp to battery terminals.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
On my Mohawk both leisure batteries are in the side locker and connected using what looks like the same type of plug that's in the Vehicle battery box which is under the floor where they are on all Fiat x250 cabs

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Possible that is may be a standard harness used by sargent so it covers a variety of van layouts. Call sargent and ask. I know a few vans have to have leisure batts under the front seats etc.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Possible that is may be a standard harness used by sargent so it covers a variety of van layouts. Call sargent and ask. I know a few vans have to have leisure batts under the front seats etc.

I Brian you could be right I have e-mailed Sargents.

Good news is, been back up the van and I don't think there is an actual 5v discharge as originally thought as the panel is still showing 5v discharge with both batteries fully charged and on hook up, the panel it's self must have gone cranky, anyone know if you can reset it back to factory default, I suppose Sargents will know.

Anyway thanks for all the suggestion.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a matter of interest.. Are you talking 5 VOLTS or 5 AMPS ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forget the above.. went back to the top post and it is amps.. :)

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi John yes it's amps although I did put volts in one of my reply's, thanks for the link will give that a go and hopefully get a result, if not the panel must have gone boobies up and I will send it off to Sargents for a repair. What happened to good old moving coil meters eh?

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Update, been up the van today and reset the display panel back to factory default but unfortunately the Amp discharge reading is still the same, so I guess I either ignore it or sent it of to Sergeants and get it repaired.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Got it sorted now, should have read the instructions properly, I was resetting the panel which was having no effect, what I needed to do was re-calibrate the Amp meter as per instructions, did it a couple of times and it's back to showing a .2 to .3 discharge off hook up, which is what I expect the panel is nicking, so happy bunny now. Once again thanks for all the advice and links to the guide.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sounds about right. 0.2- 0.3. :xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.