LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have just invested in a PICS 2 SD slide and photo scanner which is working very well.

However I am not the most organized of pc users when it comes to filing.

So now in addition to all the thousands of digital images already on my machines I will now have thousands more images once I load all the old scanned ones.

Currently I use Picassa and try to put everything in digital albums which is easy enough .... what I now need to know is there a simple way of indexing all these pictures and albums to make finding any particular image quickly.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
.... is there a simple way of indexing all these pictures and albums to make finding any particular image quickly.

not that I know of.. I have spent hours indexing and naming albums.. at one point I just backed them all up to a spare drive and started afresh..

what I did with the scanned slides was make a new folder called '35mm Slides' then sub divided it into years , then places.. it's very time consuming..

when/if you find it.. will you let me know.. :xlaugh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
this may interest.. but not much use with scanned picture with no meta data

tick.gif
Rename photos using EXIF meta data (i.e. "Date Picture Taken", "Resolution" and other information embedded in all JPG photo files) Rename your holiday pictures from a meaningless dsc1790.jpg to NewYork1.jpg in a flash.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'd like to add notes to old family photos I have scanned. Sort of like writing names, places and dates on the back!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Dump them anywhere and everywhere, on your hard disk or portable drives, I then let lightroom manage them for me, (it sorts them into month folders) you'll never lose a pic again, especially so if you let it backup to another location on import (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Dump them anywhere and everywhere, on your hard disk or portable drives, I then let lightroom manage them for me, (it sorts them into month folders) you'll never lose a pic again, especially so if you let it backup to another location on import (y)

Picasa3 does the same
simply select which drives and or folders you you want it to watch.. it indexes them in date order.. best part is it doesn't make copies or move the files.. so no duplicate folders using up drive space .. if you edit an image, it saves the original automatically..

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Ditto,
Fantastic feature of Lightroom is the indexing feature, and a very powerful tool when dealing in RAW format.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Depends what matters most to you - Date, Place, Subject?

I tend to file mine according to location most of the time.

You could also use a batch processing feature in your graphics software to create small index images that add something to original name so you can link index image to original image.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back