Using 'P'ark to hold MH on levelling ramps? (1 Viewer)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Hi,

We have a 2009 Mercedes 518 with a 3litre diesel coupled to a fully automatic (not Sprintshift) gearbox. When using levelling ramps on the front wheels, I often use the P gearbox position to hold the van - without using the handbrake or wheel chocks.

Whilst I'm sure some might criticise this as somewhat casual or sloppy, it works, but does anyone know whether this can harm the gearbox?

Norman

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I had an auto many many moons ago and never used the handbrake at all, just put it in park. It locks the g/box completely and as far as I know didn't damage it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I always use chocks when on ramps, a point of interest in Germany any vehicle over 3.5T when parked on a slope must use wheel chocks, I don't know if this applies to any other European countries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I always use chocks when on ramps, a point of interest in Germany any vehicle over 3.5T when parked on a slope must use wheel chocks, I don't know if this applies to any other European countries.

Good to know :) Thank you.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I always use the handbrake with my Honda Auto CRV .. . I wouldn't trust just using the Park..

Googling threw this up

7. Leave the shift lever in park without the parking brake on.
If another vehicle were to even tap yours at the front or back while you’re parked, it could cause the parking pawl to break leaving your vehicle to roll down the street unattended.

http://www.mistertransmission.com/best-ways-to-destroy-your-transmission

another site Broken Link Removed

does anyone know whether this can harm the gearbox?

8.) Use your emergency brake when parking on an incline. Reduces stress on the parking pawl (pin) and linkage.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you could visualise the device holding the van I doubt you would trust it on ramps (think of a gearwheel with a small metal wedge in the teeth). The autobox parking mechanism also has a limit that, if exceeded, allows it to slip without damage to the box. I have never bothered with the handbrake in an automatic car or van when parking on (nominally) level ground but I'd definitely use it on a ramp or a steep slope on the road.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I always use the handbrake with my Honda Auto CRV .. . I wouldn't trust just using the Park..

Googling threw this up

7. Leave the shift lever in park without the parking brake on.
If another vehicle were to even tap yours at the front or back while you’re parked, it could cause the parking pawl to break leaving your vehicle to roll down the street unattended.

http://www.mistertransmission.com/best-ways-to-destroy-your-transmission

another site Broken Link Removed

8.) Use your emergency brake when parking on an incline. Reduces stress on the parking pawl (pin) and linkage.

& that is exactly why I leave my car in neutral here when parked as the Spaniards tendency to " shunt " between vehicles front & back whilst parking will shear the locking pawl off.

OP
OP
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Thanks all - have just applied the handbrake and will do so again in future if I can't use chocks!!

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I agree with using the handbrake when parked, the parking pawl in the gearbox is taking all the strain otherwise.
When I was MOT Testing, I failed a number of automatic vehicles over the years due to seized or innefective handbrakes, lack of use being the cause, the owners invariably said, "I never use the handbrake"!!
I have an Automatic Merc190, and always use the handbrake when parked, even on the level, just to keep the system joints moving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back