Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I am in the south of France at the moment and plan to slowly go down Italy to Puglia and then across to Greece. I am thinking of a ferry from Brindisi or Bari. Anyone with experience or recommendations? Could I save money by booking in advance?

Dick

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I looked at this earlier in the year and there wasn't a lot in it price wise between the long ferries from the north and the short crossings from the south. This won't be an issue if you want to drive down Italy but worth considering for the return. And I am fairly sure you get the best deals booking on line. Turning up at the port isn't normally the way to get the best deals anywhere - having once done this at an airport when stranded!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Have taken the ferry from Venice twice. Would highly recommend it . A couple of days exploring Venice and then leaving standing on deck an experience not to be missed. As we don't buy Xmas presents for each other we book the posh cabin :) a superb trip and we get off at Patras and spend most if our time in the Peloponnese.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We went from Ancona in September, as said not much difference in price, about £100 dearer from Venice. Booking before the end of Feb gave a 15% discount, got another 10% for over 60 & another 10% for joining Miloan Lines Bonus Club.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
We have booked through Viamare in the past. Very helpful and they are in North London. Trying to deal with some of the Italian/Greek companies direct is not always easy if there is a problem.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We have used Minoan each time and booked direct . No problem . One time just went to ferry port and booked as did not want to be tied to a specific date in advance . Ok price easy done .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We used Viamare, very impressed, they told us to join the Miloan club to get the extra discount, and when a ferry was cancelled rung us as well as email & asked us to confirm by email to make sure we new about the change, also they deal with all the Greek ferry companies and will find you the best deal.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Dick
Will any campsites be open now in Greece , or are you wilding ?

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hi Dick
Will any campsites be open now in Greece , or are you wilding ?
I can chirp up Robert - there are a good handful of year-round sites on the Peloponnese. I stayed at Camping Finikes in Finikounda, and there are quite a few more. There are wilding spots but like everywhere else now, the locals can find it annoying and provocative on occasions. Too many staying too long and making locals feel uncomfortable. I did a bit of wilding but only at very deserted locations, short stops and very discreetly.
Jac

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Is staying in your van on board still allowed? It looks like it isn't on the website.
Miloan Lines have stopped it but have a"camping package" only avalable to caravans and Motorhomes it gives you a reduced rate, inside cabin & 30% off meals, we paid €525 return from Ancona to Patras.
Anek & Super Fast still do it.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I can chirp up Robert - there are a good handful of year-round sites on the Peloponnese. I stayed at Camping Finikes in Finikounda, and there are quite a few more. There are wilding spots but like everywhere else now, the locals can find it annoying and provocative on occasions. Too many staying too long and making locals feel uncomfortable. I did a bit of wilding but only at very deserted locations, short stops and very discreetly.
Jac

We stayed at Camping Thines but there are 3 in the area open . Not a huge number if sites open. But enough . Wild camping is not too well thought of and given their financial state they are not happy that people obviously with finance are not happy to contribute to the country. Sites and eating out are not expensive . And the Peloponnese is a very poor area but the people are charming .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In 4 weeks we only spent 4 nights on sights and 2 of them were only because the weather was so bad. Generally found the locals welcome you when it's out of season. In central Greece & Macidonia there were no other vans about we were on our own nice & quiet, a few vans about on the Peloponnese but never a problem finding somewhere to stop for the night.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
In 4 weeks we only spent 4 nights on sights and 2 of them were only because the weather was so bad. Generally found the locals welcome you when it's out of season. In central Greece & Macidonia there were no other vans about we were on our own nice & quiet, a few vans about on the Peloponnese but never a problem finding somewhere to stop for the night.

Yeah but your amazingly careful? Some would say a tightwad..I could not possibly comment:)

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus

We've spent the last 2 Summers in the Peloponnese and didn't see many "camper dumps"...

What do you do with all your er "waste" if you rarely visit sites?:)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
According to ACSI the following sites are open all year in Peloponnese

Iria Beach Camping
Camping Gythion Bay
Camping Koroni
Campsite Paleologio
Campsite Triton II
Campsite Argolic Strand
Campsite Mani-Beach
Campsite Finikes

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We've spent the last 2 Summers in the Peloponnese and didn't see many "camper dumps"...

What do you do with all your er "waste" if you rarely visit sites?:)
Carry a spare cassette we can last at least 8 days between emptying, there are a few camper stops on the Pleopnnese some charge a few Euro to service others are free, there is a Dutch book with them all listed.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
According to ACSI the following sites are open all year in Peloponnese

Iria Beach Camping
Camping Gythion Bay
Camping Koroni
Campsite Paleologio
Campsite Triton II
Campsite Argolic Strand
Campsite Mani-Beach
Campsite Finikes
Can recommend highly Triton 2 ! And if you like you can take your van into Nafplio to visit , huge parking at quayside . In Pylos from Camping Finikes you can take the van and parking allowed for the day on quayside too.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Next time we meet sabers at dawn :)

What's the point of buying a Motorhome & then using sites? Might as well kept the caravan.:(

When there are no designated places then sites are necessary ! I watched Germans empty their toilets in the hedges !! And in a less prosperous country I think you should support the local economy . Especially in the Pelopenese where the people are poor but very kind . They have little but give freely what they have . Your motorhome is worth probably 10 of thousands and they are lucky if they have a hundred !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When there are no designated places then sites are necessary ! I watched Germans empty their toilets in the hedges !! And in a less prosperous country I think you should support the local economy . Especially in the Pelopenese where the people are poor but very kind . They have little but give freely what they have . Your motorhome is worth probably 10 of thousands and they are lucky if they have a hundred !
From what I have seen out of season probably does more to help the local people by wilding near a village and spending in the the bars, shops and restaurants that are practically deserted at that time year. Camp sites still have quite a lot of custom from Caravans, they are out of the town or village so people staying there tend to use the site bar/restaurant/shop so the income goes to one source who are probably better off than most of the local businesses and often a chain. Also because we are not paying for a site it means we can afford to spend more locally.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back