mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
looked at some of the posts relating to this, either I'm confused or some of the poster's are,
if your vehicle weight exceeds 3500o and you are about to become 70 years of age you will need to get a Medical+ Eyesight test to be able to continual driving such a vehicle, forms required are a D4 filled in a Doctor BUT a D2 as well??

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
And get the test`s and forms filled in and sent off (Recorded Delivery) in plenty of time..

at least 3 months before your license expires... (y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Dr on wheels are a good price for the medical, it's the same medical for hgv drivers. They usually do it at truck stops at various dates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
I've sort of assumed that your GP can do it - have l got that right, or wrong ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

YES..... BUT.. It's not free, you will get stung big time with your own GP..
Call him and find out... Go on, let us know, :)

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Your doctor can do it although it might be more expensive .

The medical to obtain your C1 is more stringent ,if you have any medical problems ie eye sight or heart conditions , you may be asked to do further medical tests

Apply in plenty of time as has allready been mentioned

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Hmmmm - just rang the surgery, who have explained that l will need to have an eye test done at local opticians ( not certain how much that will cost ), then have a medical with my doctor - cost of that bit £84.00

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmmm - just rang the surgery, who have explained that l will need to have an eye test done at local opticians ( not certain how much that will cost ), then have a medical with my doctor - cost of that bit £84.00
Oh really? My Doc did the eyesight test too. I had to take my guide dog to the vets though and that wasn't cheap. ;):LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
YES..... BUT.. It's not free, you will get stung big time with your own GP..
Call him and find out... Go on, let us know, :)
You need to haggle a friend just got his doctor to do it for £50 less than first quote.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
looked at some of the posts relating to this, either I'm confused or some of the poster's are,
if your vehicle weight exceeds 3500o and you are about to become 70 years of age you will need to get a Medical+ Eyesight test to be able to continual driving such a vehicle, forms required are a D4 filled in a Doctor BUT a D2 as well??
What's the answer to the OP's question about D2 please - is that required?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Usually much more expensive,,my gp wanted £100,,paid £40 at private health centre and he filled all the forms in for me. BUSBY.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

The D2 is for the eye test if my memory serves me right, I sent my completed pack recorded on the 23 June for my 70th on the 12th Sept, they never touched it til late Sept. eventually a stress test arranged for 12th Dec with a warning it would be several weeks before a decision would be made I think that would take up to Feb bearing in mind Christmas & New Year breaks. so I gave up and bought a new Caravan & 4x4 we are booked for Spain now in January. Pete

Ps you can tell by the time lapse I am not 100% on the D2 but I think it was the eye test part.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've been waiting since July for a decision to be made for the return of my LGV licence.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The D2 is for the eye test if my memory serves me right, I sent my completed pack recorded on the 23 June for my 70th on the 12th Sept, they never touched it til late Sept. eventually a stress test arranged for 12th Dec with a warning it would be several weeks before a decision would be made I think that would take up to Feb bearing in mind Christmas & New Year breaks. so I gave up and bought a new Caravan & 4x4 we are booked for Spain now in January. Pete

Ps you can tell by the time lapse I am not 100% on the D2 but I think it was the eye test part.
Just a thought Peter, as your paperwork was in with plenty of time to go have they actually told you you can't drive anything over 3500kg. You have done everything right, on time, it's their fault the paper works held up, as is mine, but have they stipulated you have lost your entitlement?

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Just a thought Peter, as your paperwork was in with plenty of time to go have they actually told you you can't drive anything over 3500kg. You have done everything right, on time, it's their fault the paper works held up, as is mine, but have they stipulated you have lost your entitlement?

Hi No I could have carried on with the application. I got fed up with it all and not being able to plan for 2016 we go to Spain in Jan. so called it quits and phoned them up to forget C1 and return my licence the stupid part of this is I can now drive a combo of 4x4 & Caravan heavier than my 4.250 Mo Ho . Pete

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi No I could have carried on with the application. I got fed up with it all and not being able to plan for 2016 we go to Spain in Jan. so called it quits and phoned them up to forget C1 and return my licence the stupid part of this is I can now drive a combo of 4x4 & Caravan heavier than my 4.250 Mo Ho . Pete

That was the laughable bit for me. Earlier this year they revoked my C1(8250 kg gtw) but like you still have B+E (11000 kg gtw)
Absolutely nuts :Eeek:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That was the laughable bit for me. Earlier this year they revoked my C1(8250 kg gtw) but like you still have B+E (11000 kg gtw)
Absolutely nuts :Eeek:
Why did they revoke your licence Larry?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Why did they revoke your licence Larry?

I had an op on one eye which I had to declare and although the consultant said everything was fine with no adverse effectsI had to have field vision test at Specsavers and I apparently did not meet the class 2 criteria.
It has since been identified that the software in Specsavers equipment was incorrect so I am considering getting a further test.
The problem with DVLA is that you cannot talk to them, they are faceless uncooperative civil servants.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The D2 is the form to fill in if you are recinding your C1 entitlement if you wish to retain it complete the D4.

If you have no current medical issues then do use the alternative doctors that work through these Medical Companies that the Truckers etc use if you feel your own doctors fee may be too high.

If you do have a known/on going medical issue go to your own doctor and pay the extra, if you go to the private companies they cannot report on your medical issues,therefore,the DVLA have then to write,yes! They write to your doctor for confirmation of your condition and this can be a number of letters depending on a persons issues,thus it can cause untold delay that makes the extra fee your doctor charges bareable.

I made this mistake because I couldn't get to see my own doctor for three weeks and tried to speed the process up,wow,what nightmare, 5 months after the application I got the Licence.

I have a minor issue that is very stable in fact it improves year on year so they had no reason to refuse the reissue but lost paperwork and the totally inflexible DVLA was the cause.

You can drive vehicles below C1 whilst the process is ongoing but if your Licence has expired,your birthday at 70, your grounded or at least your MH is.

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
At 70 years of age to retain C1 on licence it is necessary for a D4 form to be filled in by your Doctor (it cost me £100) then before completing the form a visit to an optician along with a stamp and signature on the D4 is required, your Doctor will then check to confirm then sign and date it while you are present, if all is well send D1, D4, and DrivingLicence by Recorded Post to DVLA.
Don't wait for the DVLA to send you a form before your birthday because they will more likely send you a D2 form which will not retain your C1 qualification. :clap: :whew::whew::whew:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Usually much more expensive,,:my gp wanted £100,,paid £40 at private health centre and he filled all the forms in for me. BUSBY.

Cheap as chips......

My doc charges £400 for any kind of motoring related medical.
I guess its their way of politely saying ###k off, we aint interested.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You need to haggle a friend just got his doctor to do it for £50 less than first quote.
My GP charged me £150 to just SIGN a form for the CAA to allow me to get my pilots licence back. He is a thieving git though but I had to have him sign it even though I have never seen him before. He wants the money but said he will not sign my C1 medical at all.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I had a medical some years ago with my GP when I got to 55 in oder to renew my Boatmasters Certificate. He charged me £100 and spent most of the time talking about narrow boating and canals for which my Boatmasterts Cert was for.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My GP charged me £150 to just SIGN a form for the CAA to allow me to get my pilots licence back. He is a thieving git though but I had to have him sign it even though I have never seen him before. He wants the money but said he will not sign my C1 medical at all.
You need a new doctor!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
If your own doctor does the medical do they report on any previous medical history which may instigate further investigation by the DVLA? If you use one of the independent services they can only report your fitness on the day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back