Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I'm now into my 5th month of overseas use on my payg sim with '3'. I was expecting to have had the service suspended by now, but my monthly allowance has never even almost approached the 25gb limit so maybe the two month limit within a 12 month period only applies to high data users?

I also turn the mobil data off at night so perhaps this has made a difference.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Has all of your time been spent in a 'Feel at home' country (eg France, Spain) or have you been elsewhere inbetween (eg Germany, Portugal). As far as we can gather, if you spend 29 days in Spain and then 1 day in Portugal the previous 30 days do not count towards the limit.

The usage cap is now also 12GB not 25GB as of 1st October when the days dropped to 60 from 90.

There are a lot of exceptions to the rule with Three, I have a number of customers who have almost certainly fallen out of the loop!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@davandginny I had a warning sms from 3 on my 12 month mobile proadband SIM after 39 days of continuous use in France. I only switched the mifi on when I needed it. We consumed 5GB in that period. I only bought the SIM in August so perhaps they are only starting to catch up with the latest SIM's? :cautious: As for the future I will take a second SIM and alternate useage to avoid the 'continuous month use' on any one SIM :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
:cautious: As for the future I will take a second SIM and alternate useage to avoid the 'continuous month use' on any one SIM :)[/QUOTE said:
That's a really good idea - it hadn't crossed my mind.
We've just been away for 63 days and used it for about 50 of them with a 10 days pause when we were on site. Does the 10 days off mean that the 60 days starts again?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

No, they work on months. Theoretically 63 days should be over your limit even though there might be a break in use but do not worry until you receive a warning sms from Three. I seem to be one of the few unlucky ones to receive the sms.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I have three 3 sims that I alternate in a mifi. I am increasingly frustrated by the throttling though. I have never picked up 4G abroad with 3. It will not let you stream radio let alone video, skype is impossible and it is so slow on some host networks that I seriously feel a second class user.

I always got local sims but got the 3 ones because I believed the blurb. It's OK for checking mail and the odd Web browse especially for transitting countries but if staying more than a couple of weeks in one a local one is cheaper, faster (invariably 4G in cities now) and unrestricted.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
they sent me the txt re; it is for use ' at home' & you have been using it for over 1 month ( more like 3 ! ) I just txt back
" I am at home ":LOL:

You won't necessarily get a warning . When I went to UK this year I turned it on & it worked . I topped it up 2 or 3 times . Then one day , 6 weeks later, they cut me off. ???? Took nigh on 6 more weeks to get i sorted. They are the biggest load of lying barstewards I've ever dealt with .

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
The local phone company is providing the service to your sim so I guess they're going to know where you are whatever VPN service you use :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The local phone company is providing the service to your sim so I guess they're going to know where you are whatever VPN service you use :)
I'm sure that must be correct. A VPN is effectively just a rebroadcast with two loops, one from where you are to somewhere else which then retransmits it using a UK IP address. The first part is just a normal (data) call like any other you might make.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back