Got Astroturf On Your Step? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys

rv-step-mat.jpg

I've noticed a few MH's with Astroturf applied to their steps.
Is it any good?
How do you fix it?
Do you need to remove it for cleaning?
Any drawbacks?

Would appreciate your feedback

Thanks
Robert

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
First tried Velcro but the Astro disappeared on first trip!have now stuck it on with Stixall works a treat and you can peal it off when you need to renew it.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
First tried Velcro but the Astro disappeared on first trip!have now stuck it on with Stixall works a treat and you can peal it off when you need to renew it.
The kits that Fisma sell have springs underneath which fix through eyelets in the mat - looks quite secure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had two Fiamma 'turf' covers on the steps for three or four years. They work well and the spring fixing is secure. They are not as thick as Astroturf. I guess they will wear through eventually but in my opinion, they are a very worthwhile accessory and help keep the boots clean before getting in the van.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought Astroturf type mats from Lidl, cut them to size and fixed them with tie wraps. Worked well on the folding aluminium step on our Autoquest and on the stand-alone plastic step we use outside the Burstner.

As Philip mentions, the Astroturf type mats are thicker. They are also tougher and a lot cheaper (y)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have had two Fiamma 'turf' covers on the steps for three or four years. They work well and the spring fixing is secure. They are not as thick as Astroturf. I guess they will wear through eventually but in my opinion, they are a very worthwhile accessory and help keep the boots clean before getting in the van.

I agree had mine for three years now and still in good condition,but bought mine through eBay.,cant remember price but was a good deal cheaper than the "fiamma" label....same wrapping etc.. .hhhmmm wonder where fiamma buy theirs from . ??? Either way a great bit of kit for keeping a lot of the mud etc out..

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yep we have had these on our last two vans but didn't
pay that much for them. Got them at Malvern show for a fiver each. Great for cleaning grit off your shoes, non slip and the dog seems more confident using the step since we put them on.

Depending on how much you use your can they do last well. Will change ours next Malvern show, so lasting us a year (full time).

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Bodge/Road kill? A discarded lorry mud flap.... Cheap as chips,plenty on verges/service areas/ind.estates. Cut it to suit your needs.
Problem... It could read on the step. DAF.Merc.Renault.Volvo.Scania.Man, or even XYZ Logistics.....LOL.
Tea Bag (Stig of the Dump)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No good if you have an electric retractable step though as it won't be able to slide back into the casing if its too thick!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No good if you have an electric retractable step though as it won't be able to slide back into the casing if its too thick!
Some step covers are made by Fiama for their own steps

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I bought Astroturf type mats from Lidl, cut them to size and fixed them with tie wraps. Worked well on the folding aluminium step on our Autoquest and on the stand-alone plastic step we use outside the Burstner.

As Philip mentions, the Astroturf type mats are thicker. They are also tougher and a lot cheaper (y)

We had a piece of genuine Astroturf given us a while ago, I made a mat and a step cover, fixed to the step the same as above. Its been there over 18 months, no appreciable wear ( Genuine Astroturf is very hardy) and easy to clean with a hosepipe.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say ... my dogs refuse point blank to walk on astroturf or any of those types of mats!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Some step covers are made by Fiama for their own steps
Yes, hence my 'too thick' reference ... you have to get the thin ones so something to check when buying.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Right about the retractable step,the growler is a bit iffy on her pins now,so experimented with this and that,best solution. A very thin piece of "Roofing " felt,this works very well until she decides it's."Sack of Coal" time,then lays down by the step,"Daddy dog" (Silly me),then has to say,"Sack of coal coming in" and lift her in...... You couldn't make it up.
Tea Bag

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Ikea is your friend fellow Funsters, they sell these mats in different colours for £7. One mat makes 2 step covers. I wrapped it around my step and secured with table ties. They are thick mats but don't affect our step operation in any way. highly recommend.

image.png

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
About four years ago a friend who refits horse boxes stuck some covering they use on horse box ramps on our step. It shrugs off the dirt , is very hard wearing and remains grippy enough even when wet and covered in mud

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
That's a pity! I was reading this thread thinking maybe this was a better alternative to constantly cleaning the mat inside the door. I did wonder how the added thickness would affect the electric step though.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That's a pity! I was reading this thread thinking maybe this was a better alternative to constantly cleaning the mat inside the door. I did wonder how the added thickness would affect the electric step though.
You can fit the Fiamma version since that is not as thick as real Astroturf. As I stated above, I have had these covers on my steps for a few years (Omnistep twin-step retracting). There is plenty of clearance - in fact there might be sufficient to fit Astroturf if I wanted to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back