MH Awning issue solved on the cheap (1 Viewer)

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Although we have a feimma Awning, it has no sides so took a look at awnings for MH and was shocked at how expensive they are!!! Much dearer that Caravan ones too! And I still can't figure out why they don't have awning tracks?? I looked at them all: drive aways, safari/privacy rooms .... mega bucks!:Eeek:

Anyway, found a 2 by 2.75 m dome shaped porch awning (for a caravan), that would reach an awning rail of 8ft (hight of our Fiemma) brand new for £90, then I bought a 'Fixing kit' for £20 - one edge pulls through the ridge at the front of the Feimma, and the other creates an awning track.. yipee! We wont know until we try it out and the end of the month, if it will 'stand alone' if we take the proch off whist we drive off but in any event, it's still a much cheaper alternative - the awning is by Royal Leisure.

Will keep you updated :thumb:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Tamworthcamping UK & fixing kit Johns Cross website - Royal Porch awning & fixing kit can be found on Ebay too but awning was dearer on Ebay ::bigsmile:
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beemerboy

Free Member
May 22, 2009
wemyss bay(where?)
Funster No
MH
roller team
Exp
Hi Ive looked at said awning in tamworth camping can you clarify for me please where did you fit the fixing kit to??( we have a Fiamma awning same as you but its a nightmare to put up and now lives in the loft) have you secured the fixing kit to the Fiamma awning??:Cool:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Ive looked at said awning in tamworth camping can you clarify for me please where did you fit the fixing kit to??( we have a Fiamma awning same as you but its a nightmare to put up and now lives in the loft) have you secured the fixing kit to the Fiamma awning??:Cool:

See attatchment unfortunately cannot make it any bigger, full blown pic is on website. just search for 'figure of 8'

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just curious as to why all the various pics on t'interweb of the fixing kit show it mounted in this way....Link Removed

when you should use the included beaded fabric 'strip' between the awning rail and the figure of 8 ?

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
fixing kit

You would have to have the Feimma awning still on your van but closed, if you look at the front of the Feimma, you will see a small channel that runs right along it, the fixing kit pulls through this and the other edge provides a (caravan) awning rail. You then pull the caravan awning through that and Bobs your uncle :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
yes confused too

just curious as to why all the various pics on t'interweb of the fixing kit show it mounted in this way....Link Removed

when you should use the included beaded fabric 'strip' between the awning rail and the figure of 8 ?

I thought the beaded fabric went into the Feimma ridge and the Caravan awning went through to fig 8 rail .... which is it, any ideas? There are no instructions with the fixing kit either!!

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I just screwed a length of awning rail to the side of the van, couple of quid. :thumb:

Ralph

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Fiamma/Omnistor Drive away fixing kit OR532.
Designed so one side of the fixing kit slides into the channel at the front of a Fiamma/Omnistor wind-out awning.
(Fits, Movelite XL Nomad 3, Nomad 2+2, Navigator).
Simply slide the narrower length of twin piping into the channel of the wind-out awning. Now slide the figure of 8 plastic strips onto the opposite side of the same twin piping section. The opposite side of the figure 8 simply slides onto the piping sewn onto the back of your awning.

Its on the website!:thumb:

Peter

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
great idea but wont it hurt

I just screwed a length of awning rail to the side of the van, couple of quid. :thumb:

Ralph

Great idea but I couldnt allow my hubby to scew things into Elvis, it might hurt him :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought the beaded fabric went into the Feimma ridge and the Caravan awning went through to fig 8 rail .... which is it, any ideas? There are no instructions with the fixing kit either!!

if you click the pic in my post it will enlarge.
ignore the main pic and look at the diagram underneath.

shown is a caravan awning rail but its the same for the fiamma rail.
the fabric strip slides in the rail, then the figure 8 slides over the other end of that , then the tent awning slides into the other side of the figure 8:thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I use one of these Royal Awnings on my caravan. It should fit fine to an 8ft rail. But it won't stand alone - you will have to take it down to drive away, as there will be nothing supporting the awning when you move your van. Doesn't take long to take down though.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use one of these Royal Awnings on my caravan. It should fit fine to an 8ft rail. But it won't stand alone - you will have to take it down to drive away, as there will be nothing supporting the awning when you move your van. Doesn't take long to take down though.

mine does........movelite XL.

different pole geometry.

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
cool but expensive

mine does........movelite XL.

different pole geometry.

Yes they do stand alone but are very expensive :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Also have a Movelite XL .. bought it primarily for winter camping in the UK

Expensive.. well, you get what you pay for, it's been superb, even during the snow in February .. worth every penny :thumb:

Link Removed

Link Removed

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
no fixing kit needed!

Tamworthcamping UK & fixing kit Johns Cross website - Royal Porch awning & fixing kit can be found on Ebay too but awning was dearer on Ebay ::bigsmile:
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot.jpg

No fixing kit was needed after all ! This awning fixed straight onto the fiemma! Thanks Mr John Cross for allowing me to bring the fixing kit back to you ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our van came with a J rail already fitted (see pictures).

The Khyam awning we bought came with three 1 meter lengths of the figure 8 fittings, one of which I cut in half. As many lengths as needed are slipped onto the beading on the awning and then clipped over the J rail.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back