want to drive across europe in a 4x4 camper (1 Viewer)

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
hi there to all this should be intresting i have just sold my winni as they are selling for silly money at the mo and want to try somthing new i am haveing a new 4 birth 4x4 landrover motorhome built or me it will have eveything from sky ty, solar, toilet, shower, long raing water tanks & a winch so i can go off road i want to go for a long drive to some where in europe i want to go where you cant take a motorhome
i am not shore where to go and for how long as time dont matter

i have been offroading landrovers for yours now and done 2 x 1 week in north france over the years but stoped in camp sites that is why the new 4x4 camper i should be able to go a week without needing to stop for water and the fuel tanks will do 600 miles so i should be able to go anywhere

if you have done this before let me no

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi there to all this should be intresting i have just sold my winni and want to try somthing new i am haveing a new 4 birth 4x4 landrover motorhome built or me it will have eveything from sky ty, solar, toilet, shower, long raing water tanks & a winch so i can go off road i want to go for a long drive to some where in europe i want to go where you cant take a motorhome

i have been offroading landrovers for yours now and done 2 x 1 week in north france over the years but stoped in camp sites that is why the new 4x4 camper

you'll need a long stay in europe to have 4 kids while away.....

birth = berth:ROFLMAO:

sorry..:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i want to go where you cant take a motorhome

I haven't but we saw a lot with the same idea in Morocco. There are areas there where your vehicle could be tested.

Ask Ray at Desert Detours.

Is there any such challenge in Europe ?

Africa, Russia, Mongolia now that should test you.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi there
We work in the Land Rover world, so are interested to know where your camper is being built and what type, will you have a rooftent? lifting roof ? fixed high top ?110 130. fiber-glass body ? please please fill us in. We have a 110 csw with a very large Australian rooftent we have used it an awfull lot but are now going over to RV for travel !!! We are finding the comfort "quite nice" but are using a truck-camper to get to the smaller places.
There are loads of companies doing "tag along trips" with 4X4's.if you fancy one.
I presume that you have attended some of the 4X4 shows ? We were at the Manby LR show this weekend.
Please keep us posted
Nigel & Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
You should look up "Land Rover Brotherhood" it is totally free and can offer help all over Europe (and beyond)If you have any doubt pm Upmarkethippy:thumb:
Nigel

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
well the landrover was a 130and was streched again wolf XD axels twin shocks and polly bush all round
the body will have a 10ft x6,6ft floor with out the luton over the cab
it is made fron av alloy so strong and light
300 leters fresh water with out the jerry cans 2 fuel tants 130 and a 90
it will have a walk through cab sleep 2 over cab 2 on a rock and roll sofa
oven hob, fridge toilet shower 400x solar panals 6 x 110 amp batterys
it will be a beast

call 07770 66 5109 ask for john he builds to order i he has done 2 for me now and he is spot on

Hi there
We work in the Land Rover world, so are interested to know where your camper is being built and what type, will you have a rooftent? lifting roof ? fixed high top ?110 130. fiber-glass body ? please please fill us in. We have a 110 csw with a very large Australian rooftent we have used it an awfull lot but are now going over to RV for travel !!! We are finding the comfort "quite nice" but are using a truck-camper to get to the smaller places.
There are loads of companies doing "tag along trips" with 4X4's.if you fancy one.
I presume that you have attended some of the 4X4 shows ? We were at the Manby LR show this weekend.
Please keep us posted
Nigel & Pamala

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
That all sounds GREAT, with that wheelbase does it have a 3rd axle? What engine does it have?
I realise that the body construction is light, but do you know what the weight will be ??
Does the builder have a Co. name ?
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
That all sounds GREAT, with that wheelbase does it have a 3rd axle? What engine does it have?
I realise that the body construction is light, but do you know what the weight will be ??
Does the builder have a Co. name ?
Nigel & Pamala

140 wheel base he as striped it back to the chassie and rebuilt it all new bushes to well every thing
i was going to get him to do a 3rd axle but it should be ok i am loking for a 6x6 axle at the mo when i find one i am going to get him to build a 6x6 with a bigger body
2.8 isuzu
he haze one there that he haze just finished for someone it is spot on only a 130
heis also doing a 130 left hand drive rapirer that he building and striped it to bare chassie
j.m.c i think they are called

well cant wate to tak it out and play

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Have you seen this company??

Link Removed

I know youve got to ship it half way round the world but why not start your adventure in Oz and work your way back home with it :thumb::Eeek:

Might take a while.......say 2 years but im sure it would be the adventure of a lifetime :winky:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
This is a new site for adventure travellers set up by Russ Malkin,who produced Charlie and Ewans journies.
Link Removed
Happy trails,I wish I was going. Meet you in Ulaanbatuur.:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
well the only thing is i am not shore that a 6x4 would be ok as i cant find a 6x6 axle i cant find any info on this
as having 3 axle's i could have this one longer

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
This is a new site for adventure travellers set up by Russ Malkin,who produced Charlie and Ewans journies.
Link Removed
Happy trails,I wish I was going. Meet you in Ulaanbatuur.:thumb:

The link goes to bigearth.com the correct link is here: Link Removed

:Smile:
Keith

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I am still thinking to try and drive East and South .. will be in a car though :RollEyes:

J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
i agree that a third axle would be good, allowing better weight capability, but stretching it even more will be a compromise on where you can actually get it, 130,s have the turning circle of a narrowboat anyway, so havimg more would surely negate the "4x4" aspect?

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Ive found this site on the web

Link Removed

There seems to be lots of companies out there that do the 6X6 conversion, have a look at some of the info you might find what your looking for :thumb:

Found this as well which has some great photos of how its done

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=13875

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best get a 4x4 truck .isuzi n mitsubishi make nice narrow ones .by the time you strech a landy n fit a box it,ll be the same size anyway. iveco do nice 4x4 aswell. there is alot of choice out there get to some travel shows /4x4 shows or look at offroaders rant page site camper convertions . theres loads people out there .have a word with frogs island landies or brownchurch in london they know all the right people. make nice rooftents as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back