INSURANCE IS A CON. (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Had a quote from CC for this years Van insurance :- £444.
So I did the on-line look around for alternatives and there was nothing that gave 270 days European travel (we are optimists) SO, went back to CC and said "that is just TOO much when it only cost £310 for last year !".
They then said "well Sir, you did have a shunt in Italy, but I will see what we can do"...
Came back with a price of £285 !!! Same cover !!!
Yes I AM happy, but it is a joke !!!
Its a case of ' see what the market will bear ' ....
Same poop every year..... :rolleyes:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Told this tale before..
Was with Safeguard for over 10 years, last price just over £300.
Moved to Comfort 2 years ago as they had a little extra cover for our Morocco trips, similar price low £300's.
After 2 years and no plans for Morocco tried Safeguard again.. £499... :whistle:

My reply was "your taking the p***, never paid anywhere near that and here i am trying to offer you my business back !".
30 seconds on hold... We can do a discounted price for you of £299... (y)

No point in being loyal with these companies, shop around all the time..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am shocked.....

You seem to have only just worked out what a load of money grabbing buggers they are !!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Insurance companies quoting are no different to any other company quoting for anything.

They are under no obligation to give you their lowest possible quote. They can quote you anything they choose, it isn't their fault if you don't shop around and beat it. If you do shop around they are usually happy to reduce the initial quote.

Everyone who ever quotes for anything works the same way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Phoned CC for quote on health and van insurance for France in March usual price for 20 days £204 but because the van is 8.2 Mtrs and 4.5 tonne £356 my own insurers are asking £90 for both breakdown and recovery and van ins so goodbye CC

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
:Eeek::Eeek:
lol , im getting quotes of between £980.00 and £1400.
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

How much??????????????

Paid Comfort £306.95 in March. Kontiki valued @ £24k, Changed to an Autotrail valued @ £48k 2 months later, no extra in premium, includes breakdown cover UK and Europe, is 7.9m long weighing in at over 4 tonne.
Saga want double that............................

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Contacted my present insurer who is Safeguard and was quoted £200 more than last year. They gave a little discount but after trawling the various bandits I went with Saga at over £250 less than Safeguard. Either someone is greedy to repeat customers or Saga are making a loss, which I very much doubt.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When you switch companies they often have 'new business' offers that they can't give to existing customers ... bonkers IMV!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
lol , im getting quotes of between £980.00 and £1400.
You don't have a gold plated MH do you??? Or have you been a very, very, very bad boy and run up loads of driving convictions? :D

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
You don't have a gold plated MH do you??? Or have you been a very, very, very bad boy and run up loads of driving convictions? :D

no to either , they wont give me any no claims discount despite never having had a claim in 20 years ,it is a 90k motorhome tho;)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Paid Comfort £306.95 in March. Kontiki valued @ £24k, Changed to an Autotrail valued @ £48k 2 months later, no extra in premium, includes breakdown cover UK and Europe, is 7.9m long weighing in at over 4 tonne.
Comfort told me last week that they can't offer breakdown for over 5.5 metres!
They were quoting twice Saga's insurance price anyway (including breakdown).

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Perhaps they have changed. My other MH was around 7m, 3.8 tonne, I was offered breakdown cover, I queried the cover due to weight and length, was told that "if we insure it, we cover it"
Someone will be along soon with their experience.........................

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Mine's 7.4m and we have breakdown with Comfort.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I know, it struck me as daft at the time.
If their quote had been more reasonable (despite my "????? :eek:o_O") I would have asked the guy to look further. He wasn't inclined to make any offers, I couldn't be bothered by this time, but my guess is he was new and didn't know the tricks of the trade ;)
5.5 metres is just pointless (n)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Insurance companies quoting are no different to any other company quoting for anything.

They are under no obligation to give you their lowest possible quote. They can quote you anything they choose, it isn't their fault if you don't shop around and beat it. If you do shop around they are usually happy to reduce the initial quote.

Everyone who ever quotes for anything works the same way.

But at least you know from the outset what sort of scum you are dealing with & can treat them the same.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
no to either , they wont give me any no claims discount despite never having had a claim in 20 years ,it is a 90k motorhome tho;)
@laird of Dunstan When we started with our first van safeguard gave a discount for my 20yrs+ no claims that I had on the car which helped but have still had to build on it to get full allowance on the van

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Scum, yes but
But at least you know from the outset what sort of scum you are dealing with & can treat them the same.

A word of caution. The person that you get through to on the phone works for this company & cannot walk away in the way we as a customer can do. Its the classic case of don't shoot the messenger. I have always found the call centre person that your speaking to is quite happy to hear you rant, just as long as you point out to them that it's nothing personal & they really do appreciate it if you remember their name & thank them. Now if we were able to get through to the top dogs of these companies, it'd be quite appropriate to tear them off a strip with no apologies.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So Its the CEO's job to ensure the unwary are CONNED ?

It's that word again. I have to take exception again unless you can explain to me exactly why not offering the cheapest price you possibly can for your product straight away is a con?

Businesses exist to make money, not perform a public charitable service. Profit is not a dirty word.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
So Its the CEO's job to ensure the unwary are CONNED ?

No the CEO's job is to run a profitable company. Of course its not a con, you have the option not to go with that particular company if you cannot reach agreement on price, its not compulsory. They have to make a profit to pay wages, you have to make a few phone calls to get best deal. If you saw a tin of dog food at one price in Tesco then saw it cheaper in another shop, does that mean Tesco are conning you, no it doesn't, it just means their price if different. You can shop where you like.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
im with caravan guard, i was quoted £546, that includes breakdown and recovery uk and europe.
im 10.1 m long,100"wide and weigh in at 12+ tons.
i think that is a cheap price and im happy to pay, not a con to me

Deleted User
I think some people feel "conned" when the price offered is not the actual price of the product and in some cases people are punished financially for showing "loyalty" to a specific company. The actual price is lower than the quote and you have to be prepared to fight your corner to get it, some people lack the confidence to do that.

As others have pointed out it isn't a "con" (you don't have to accept) but it is profiteering by the companies, often at the expense of loyal customer. That's the way of the business world, companies aren't there for our benefit.

Get loads of quotes and negotiate (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:Eeek::Eeek: :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

How much??????????????

Saga want double that............................
Likewise last year paid Comfort £252 +£12 for audio & satellite cover van valued @ £62k, without breakdown cover (Breakdown cover £58), this year it went down by £2 , but actually paid more as I increased the mileage. I think their higher prices kick in at £70k.

Comfort breakdown cover doesn't have any restrictions on length or weight, I've just checked their policy no restriction at all.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So it's not gold plated but platinum then! :D Serves you right for spending all that dosh on a big 'bread van' with a bit of bling thrown in ... :LOL:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I pay £220 for a chausson on a Transit,worth £20000, but am looking at buying something with a price tag three times that , will it grow at the same rate and will they demand expensive trackers and alarms as well?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back