TyrePal 12v Connector Question (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The charging connector that comes with the tyreppal (any of them), does anyone know what the dc plug is as i cant seem to find this in USB form anywhere. Now i could just cut up an old usb lead and wire in but that would look messy with tape wrapped around. I would prefer to get a lead already made with the correct adaptor. The bit i mean is the end that plugs into the tyrpal monitor not the hella plug the other end (just incase it wasnt clear:))

I have called tyrepal this morning and they dont know what the connector is as they get it from overseas. Of course this is not an immediate issue as the unit will last me approx a week before needing to be recharged (i do a lot of driving, this ones for my car, i do have a motorhome version as well but thats ok as plenty of hella sockets in there). Even then i can unplug something else and charge but would like a USB lead just to make things simpler.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our is 12 volt cigarette lighter plug.

Edit forget it I read the post in full, I would just stay ciggy plug as it only needs a couple of hours every now and again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Our is 12 volt cigarette lighter plug.

Thanks but its the other end i need as want to get one that is a USB not Cigarette lighter socket

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Would one of these work
$_57.JPG

Broken Link Removed

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't think you can do that.

USB power is regulated 5v.

Tyre pal works on 12v.

There's no such thing as a USB socket that supplies a higher voltage.

The only way you might be able to bodge something up is if you could find a transformer that steps 5v up to 12v and put that in line but it wouldn't be ideal even if it did work.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So doctoring an old USB lead and cutting the hella socket off tyrepal and connecting to old usb lead would not provide a high enough output to charge the tyrepal? If this was tried would it cause damage to the tyrepal as i would assume not if only supplying 5v instead of 12v ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So doctoring an old USB lead and cutting the hella socket off tyrepal and connecting to old usb lead would not provide a high enough output to charge the tyrepal? If this was tried would it cause damage to the tyrepal as i would assume not if only supplying 5v instead of 12v ?

I doubt it would do any damage to the Tyrepal but it definitely wouldn't supply a high enough voltage to charge the battery.

Not sure what it would do to the USB socket it was plugged into.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Would one of these work

Broken Link Removed

Afraid not as i want to either cutoff the hella socket on the tyrepal and replace it with a usb or buy one already made, but it looks as though it may not be possible if needing 12v as usb output 5v, forgot all about that.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I doubt it would do any damage to the Tyrepal but it definitely wouldn't supply a high enough voltage to charge the battery.

Not sure what it would do to the USB socket it was plugged into.

I will chop up a lead here as i have plenty just to see what it will do, nothing lost if it doesnt work. The hella socket on the tyrepal can be easily reconnected as it can be taken apart.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I will chop up a lead here as i have plenty just to see what it will do, nothing lost if it doesnt work. The hella socket on the tyrepal can be easily reconnected as it can be taken apart.

Up to you. As I said I don't think it will hurt the Tyrepal but I'm not promising that.

I would be more concerned with what it might do to the USB socket on the car. If you really want to try it I would be inclined to buy one of the adapters similar to Robert's link and run it through a cigarette lighter first. At least then the worst you can do is fry a 3 quid adapter and blow a fuse on the car.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Up to you. As I said I don't think it will hurt the Tyrepal but I'm not promising that.

I would be more concerned with what it might do to the USB socket on the car. If you really want to try it I would be inclined to buy one of the adapters similar to Robert's link and run it through a cigarette lighter first. At least then the worst you can do is fry a 3 quid adapter and blow a fuse on the car.

Sure, i already have one of them anyway so will give it a go.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@zzzzac Just found this on the Tyrepal site.

"Charger input DC 8V - 30V" so 5V from a USB isn't going to do anything.

Broken Link Removed

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I just did a quick connect from an old USB lead and the screen on the tyrepal have lit up to indicate it is working but i suspect it will now take a lot longer to charge up. Still it is working on 5v or should i say as far as i can see it is...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I just did a quick connect from an old USB lead and the screen on the tyrepal have lit up to indicate it is working but i suspect it will now take a lot longer to charge up. Still it is working on 5v or should i say as far as i can see it is...

Is it just working from the existing charge in the battery? I guess the test is to see if it shows the battery charging or leave it until you know it's run down and see what happens.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Is it just working from the existing charge in the battery? I guess the test is to see if it shows the battery charging or leave it until you know it's run down and see what happens.

Battery light looks as though it is charging as going up and down but could be that there is enough voltage to turn it on. will leave it running for a couple of hours to see if it stops charging like the normal lead. Shouldn't take that long as it had nearly a full charge anyway.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
USB is 5v There is every chance the data the unit receives will be corrupted or meaningless

I would be extremely careful and check everything is working correctly and the display is not just showing the last readings

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
USB is 5v There is every chance the data the unit receives will be corrupted or meaningless

I would be extremely careful and check everything is working correctly and the display is not just showing the last readings

It is not showing anything as it is not moving, it is just showing the same screen when you first turn it on. I will monitor it of course.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Do we know what type of connector goes into the tyrepal unit just out of interest as cant find any to fit from all that i have (i have lots of connectors of different sizes in ones that looks like they will but then dont).?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Without going to the van and looking it will be either 2.1, 2.5 or 3mm DC Plug ( the DC Plug is the bit of infoyou need.. Simply measure the diameter of the metal bit on the plug to get the size
They are readily available for about 80 pence normally ( Though places like Maplins will proly want twice that !! )

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't know but TP will sell you a replacement charging lead for £6 if you can't find anything elsewhere.

No image but the second item on Broken Link Removed. I had to buy one recently.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Without going to the van and looking it will be either 2.1, 2.5 or 3mm DC Plug ( the DC Plug is the bit of infoyou need.. Simply measure the diameter of the metal bit on the plug to get the size

It might be 2.1 but no more than that. I thought it was a bit smaller even or is that the smallest standard size you can get?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You can get smaller but I have never seen one used away from the communications industry.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Don't know but TP will sell you a replacement charging lead for £6 if you can't find anything elsewhere.

No image but the second item on Broken Link Removed. I had to buy one recently.

Thanks, bit steep paying nearly £10 for a charger with postage

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Been going for a couple hours but still says charging, cant remember if it took this long when i first charged it via 12v. I have now put the hella socket back on to see if it charges quicker although it might now if it has been charging for the last 2 hours.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
well now with the proper hella plug on it has finished charging so i am assuming there was not enough through put to do this propely hence needing 8-30v to charge.

Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thanks for all the assistance and fast reponses :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back