Seconds away from smoke damage or worse (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Today has been very wet and windy so a good day to spend in Vanessa I thought. Went to the market and bought 3 rolls of LED lighting to replace the flickering lighting tubes. Alan is here visiting and shows me how to connect the wires up. Very easy it was until the one above the cooker wouldn't light up but I knew the connection was good and the power was there before I disconnected the tube. Next came another funster lesson...How to work a multimeter. Good wee productive and learning day I thought as I resolved the issue with the LED above cooker. We are just about ready to leave the MH and are almost out when I decide I have a quick wee job for Alan to do. Seconds later Alan "smells" then sees smoke belching out from around the cooker. I panicked, thought it was my dodgy wiring but it was quickly established I must have accidentally been leaning against and turned the electric knob on cooker on while I had been working above it. Mum always keeps a handtowel in between the cooker rings and the glass so that had been burning. Lucky the cooker glass didn't smash. Got away lightly with a stench of smoke. :) Just goes to show how easy it is for disasters to happen.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Great result by the sound of it, your MH probably now smells the same as ours, leant it to eldest daughter for her 30th birthday, they had log burners (allowed on the site, fire grate thingies) that was fine but they all then came into our MH smelling like bonfires, 2 months later still smells the same I am sorry to warn you (y)

At least you have one to go back and smell though :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Great result by the sound of it, your MH probably now smells the same as ours, leant it to eldest daughter for her 30th birthday, they had log burners (allowed on the site, fire grate thingies) that was fine but they all then came into our MH smelling like bonfires, 2 months later still smells the same I am sorry to warn you (y)

At least you have one to go back and smell though :)
I sure do but still to face the wrath of mum when she smells it but hopefully it will be weeks away before she is in it again. ;-)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@DavidG58 Did you finally get to the bottom of your turbo problem?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 Did you finally get to the bottom of your turbo problem?

No Sandra still work in progress, new turbo been ordered, going to try fitting the easy to get to bit first and see if we get lucky, getting ready for a trip up north, bit of Durness, Loch Maree on the way, January is looing good, presuming we either fix the turbo or it doesn't give up the ghost up there somewhere

(might just try your tea towel trick, and blame your mum :):))

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Errr ! Your mother put the hand towel over the rings, not you.
(very unsafe practise in my view)

Why should you take the flak.

Good comment but ...
She leaves it there as she thinks it stops rattling when driving but there is no rattling and also when the rings have the least bit of heat still in them she tries to protect the glass.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting that the hotplate still worked with the glass down, we only have gas rings but they will not light with the glass down and go out if lowered, you would have thought the same would apply to hot plates

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Get some foam pipe lagging . Cut 2 pieces to length of sides of glass cooker top. Cut lagging all way down then this can be slid on to edges of glass. No rattling cooker top. Easily removable when cooker in use and nowhere near burners

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Interesting that the hotplate still worked with the glass down, we only have gas rings but they will not light with the glass down and go out if lowered, you would have thought the same would apply to hot plates

Ours is only an AT , not anything fancy so just basics I guess.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Did something similar in the caravan 25 years ago. Thought the gas burner was off and closed the fibreboard cover. What a stink!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
image.jpeg
Been there, done that. It was the dog jumping up. Now have to switch cooker off at the mains. It took 5 mins of running water to cool it down

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
View attachment 84558 Been there, done that. It was the dog jumping up. Now have to switch cooker off at the mains. It took 5 mins of running water to cool it down
Don't "like" more "Acknowledge" Looks like you were lucky too. I have now switched the cooker off from mains, very rarely are we on EHU when away so will just have to remember whenever the next time may be. :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The would have got my bum twitching a bit there...........................:giggle:

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
In my previous life (before retirement) as a loss adjuster I saw many, many serious fires or other disasters started by the most tiny, seemingly insignificant happenings. As a result I switch every switch off as soon as I have used it, treble check taps, move glass ornaments from near windows, unplug everything,never leave anything on standby etc., etc., etc.... My wife says I am anal about safety, yet I still have accidents like anyone else, so maybe I should just say to hell with it?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I thought every motorhome did have one!!!!
Mine did not even come with a smoke alarm!! But a combo smoke/carbon monoxide unit is £20 on Ebay so no biggie. I used my large extinguisher from the previous MH but will will renew it soon. I don't think everybody does have a fire extinguisher, although it is mandatory to carry one in some European countries. Again I have no idea why h&s obsessed UK has no legislation on this ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The "like" is because you were lucky and found the problem before it was a disaster.

We have two extinguishers in Buffy, one by the bed (rear transverse) and one just behind the dinette seat. I do know how to use them :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Mine did not even come with a smoke alarm!! But a combo smoke/carbon monoxide unit is £20 on Ebay so no biggie. I used my large extinguisher from the previous MH but will will renew it soon. I don't think everybody does have a fire extinguisher, although it is mandatory to carry one in some European countries. Again I have no idea why h&s obsessed UK has no legislation on this ?
Very strange!..... I would be checking motorhome insurance small print to see if extinguisher is a requirement and may make cover invalid without one. Does UK insurance green card require one?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back