Carrying a bike in the garage? (1 Viewer)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We bought our MH with the intention of carrying one of our bikes in the garage (no - not the Harley). I know that my 350 Enfield will physically fit in but is probably a bit heavy, so I'm thinking of something like a Suzuki Van Van which is about 110Kg.
Just wondering if anyone else keeps a bike in the garage and if there are any ramp type accessories that make loading and unloading a bit easier.
I would much prefer to have everything under cover and not have to worry about so much about trailers or leaving a bike on show on a rack.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
we do carry honda 125 scooter in the garage. Fold up ramp ( ebay) to aid loading makes the job easier.
Just watch the obvious overloading of the rear axle . I loaded bags of sand to the approx weight in the garage and weighed both axles before buying the scooter. I wish I could take my Harley this way but alas too heavy but find the scooter more than adequate and good fun.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Just found this. Very neat but not really practical in a motorhome garage and very expensive. I guess it's going to be a folding ramp and both of us man handling it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used one of these to load my old 200kg Suzuki bergman onto my trailer....max weight limit is 340kg and weighs 7.5kg.

$_12.JPG

Broken Link Removed

If the scoot is twist n go why struggle pushing it up the ramp.....it has an engine so let that do the work.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I used one of these to load my old 200kg Suzuki bergman onto my trailer....max weight limit is 340kg and weighs 7.5kg.

$_12.JPG

Broken Link Removed

If the scoot is twist n go why struggle pushing it up the ramp.....it has an engine so let that do the work.

Thanks. I do have a folding ramp similar to this. I imagine the awkward bit is manoeuvring the bike through the opening which is only just wide enough and high enough for the bike, unlike a van or trailer where you can walk in alongside it.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yeah 650cc Kawasaki Versys 215kgs.
Just run it up a ali ramp front wheel goes into a wheel catcher then a ratchet strap on each handlebar.
Five minutes start to finish.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Like pappajohn have ramp and wheel clamp in garage. Changed from 125 to 250 weight with all loaded including full water tank still within weight limit. Only takes a few minutes load, sercured with tension straps it never moves.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I found a 300cc Vespa fitted height wise into mine so that's what I went for. Like others, I use a folding ramp from eBay and power the scooter up into the garage, I use R&G bar straps (to keep straps away from the paintwork) and ratchet straps to rails on the garage floor. I also use straps at the back from the grabrail to teh garage roof just in case a front rachet strap lets go. Not really needed but better safe than sorry.

My wife feels safer with a topbox fitted so that is removed along with the mirrors before loading and the topbox can be refitted inside the garage to avoid it getting scratched in transit. Removing the mirrors/topbox, loading and refitting topbox is easily done in under 10 mins.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yeah 650cc Kawasaki Versys 215kgs.
Just run it up a ali ramp front wheel goes into a wheel catcher then a ratchet strap on each handlebar.
Five minutes start to finish.
Do you strap the wheel to the chock? Do you hold the back wheel in some way? Also do you put a strap around back as well?

Sorry for the questions but we are looking at using a Honda scooter.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Do you strap the wheel to the chock? Do you hold the back wheel in some way? Also do you put a strap around back as well?

Sorry for the questions but we are looking at using a Honda scooter.

Hi
No I just connect a ratchet to each handlebar and tighten that's it no ties anywhere else no need we've travelled over 40000 miles carrying it that way and its never moved once. My van has some ali runners on each side of the garage for tieing down so just slotted in an eye on each side and connect the ratchet straps to those,
Keep it simple is my moto, some folks make it far too complicated.:xThumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
No I just connect a ratchet to each handlebar and tighten that's it no ties anywhere else no need we've travelled over 40000 miles carrying it that way and its never moved once. My van has some ali runners on each side of the garage for tieing down so just slotted in an eye on each side and connect the ratchet straps to those,
Keep it simple is my moto, some folks make it far too complicated.:xThumb:
Thanks. Have you bolted through the floor to hold the wheel chock? We have the ali runners and eye bolts so can use those. And there I was thinking that I needed a choc both ends. Is yours a heavy bike? The one I am after is a little lightweight scooter, its only 102kg, and I wonder if that would make a difference. Maybe a couple of ratchet straps on the back if I am really worried.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks. Have you bolted through the floor to hold the wheel chock? We have the ali runners and eye bolts so can use those. And there I was thinking that I needed a choc both ends. Is yours a heavy bike? The one I am after is a little lightweight scooter, its only 102kg, and I wonder if that would make a difference. Maybe a couple of ratchet straps on the back if I am really worried.

Yes bolted through floor with plate underneath to spread load.
This bike is 215kgs but the last one was 150kgs carried exactly the same for probably 12000 miles.
Strap across the rear doesnt hurt if it gives you peace of mind I suppose I'm just used to it after all this time.:xsmile:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Fiamma carry moto ramps are pretty good not cheap but depends what your looking for and what sort of garage floor/door sills you have.

Bought through johns cross gets you a discount.

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
straight up folding ramp two straps one on each side i don't strap downwards as its not good for fork seals

Attachments

• my pics om phone 253.JPG
    my pics om phone 253.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 40

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
straight up folding ramp two straps one on each side i don't strap downwards as its not good for fork seals

?????????????????
Can you explain that ?? ( unless the top of the sliders are rusty and pitted )

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Why?
Been carrying bikes strapped this way on trucks, trailers and m/homes for 40 years and never had a problem with forks or any other elements. Plus 99% of all bikes transported are secured the same way.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
These talented off-roaders get get so much 'air' under them, working the forks at both extremes, so leaks are possible due to wear or seal damage.

Shouldn't be a problem for you.

Strap down (just firmly, don't want to pull the anchors out) the pressure on forks is probably less than you sitting on the bike.

The van van is almost perfect, fuel injection (so allways starts), 100 mpg and tank range, big seat for two up, under 120kg so easy to load and move about. Not ideal for dual carriageways or big mountain passes, but with its 'sand wheels' ideal for local exploring, probably our favourite motorhome accessory.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
This is my setup,front wheel catcher which is bolted onto a bit of alloy checker plate,this picks up 2 chassis bolts.At the back wheel I use a bit of 20mm ply to spread the load plus made a tapered ramp so that it rolls easy over the door lip.Then 4 ratchet straps to secure it.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 68
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I fit a Honda superdream ( 180 kg ). I have fitted a remote winch in the van which pulls the bike up the ramp a treat. You can buy one for around £ 50 off ebay. Made the brackets out of roof ties myself.
Phil

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I fit a Honda superdream ( 180 kg ). I have fitted a remote winch in the van which pulls the bike up the ramp a treat. You can buy one for around £ 50 off ebay. Made the brackets out of roof ties myself.
Phil

Honda Superdream, wow that brings back memories decapitated a sheep with mine, in the late 70s I reckon.
Quite a bike in its day must be pretty rare nowadays haven't seen one for years.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahh.. the ubiquitous Wet Dream !!

The later ones were really nice bikes.. The early ones not so much !!

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
just what i was told the seals being under constant pressure for long periods of time may cause them to leak maybe modern forks don't have this issue but my bike is 32 years old

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
i had the suzuki x7 wish i had that still and the rd400 coffin tank i had after it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back