Raymond Hanlon

Free Member
Nov 28, 2015
Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Morning folks,just looking for some information and guidance,I am looking to purchase an A class motorhome and I am looking at either an RMB or Niesmann & Bischoff Flair.I have spoken to a chap in Belgium who has an 1995 RMB with 75000 KM looks and sounds nice also looking at a 2003 PIlote/RMB i820, 40000km but with more goodies but was wondering is it a Pilote badged as an RMB with some of the RMB goodies fitted.The other vehicle I am looking at is in Germany and is a Niesmann & Bischoff, Flair 7000 i with 102000 kms on Fiat Ducato the RMB is on Mercedes chassis.What are your thoughts guys,thanks Ray.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
All nice real quality makes ...not sure what the position is with vans of this age regards COC for registering here, best check that situation out.

Are they similar prices as links would help if you want a proper opinion

OP
OP
R

Raymond Hanlon

Free Member
Nov 28, 2015
Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi and thanks for your reply.As far as I'm aware CoC only required if 2004 or newer,however I may be wrong.The prices are as follows, 1995 Rmb 32500 euro, Niesmann & Bischoff Flair 35900 euro and the 2003 Pilots/Rmb £28000.Does anyone know when Pilote group bought over RMB ,thanks Ray.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi and thanks for your reply.As far as I'm aware CoC only required if 2004 or newer,however I may be wrong.The prices are as follows, 1995 Rmb 32500 euro, Niesmann & Bischoff Flair 35900 euro and the 2003 Pilots/Rmb £28000.Does anyone know when Pilote group bought over RMB ,thanks Ray.
For any information on RMB @Snowbird is your man

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
All you can do is go look at them, once you choose one get it checked out before buying....personally would go for latest van IF the layout right and it checks out OK.

Are you intending to register in Spain or UK as your avatar says you are located in Spain

OP
OP
R

Raymond Hanlon

Free Member
Nov 28, 2015
Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I may register it in the UK as I also have an address in the UK trying to register it in Spain is costly and can be a bit of a nightmare as they change the rules and regulations to suit themselves as I have found out to my cost.The newer RMB has everything required apart from air con in the living area but that can be retro fitted.I have read that the older RMB were far better built and last the pace better.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
As mentioned by Peter & Elaine @Snowbird the man with knowledge on RMB.....he is down in Spain but not on here much these days. have you looked at whats available in Germany as well , as from a reputable dealer you will normally get a 12 month warranty..I like te look of te N& B over RMB seem more up to date. probaly easier to sell on as well known compared to RMB

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Raymond Hanlon

Free Member
Nov 28, 2015
Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The Niesmann & Bischoff is in a dealers in Germany,the RMB is private in Belgium,I found both of them on the website,mobile.de the newer RMB is in the UK and may be the easier option as it is registered in the UK but is RHD.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
only Flair in Belgium is this one that I can see..but price higher? looks smashing...

EDIT: sorry getting my countries mixed up:( Alpha motorhomes are a good Belgian company to deal with, I nearly bought a new van from them a couple of years ago.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Broken Link Removed

That looks like a cracking van,would be my choice although I understand you would prefer a l/h drive.

OP
OP
R

Raymond Hanlon

Free Member
Nov 28, 2015
Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Niesmann & Bischoff is Flair 7100 in Germany Silver with alloy wheels,dealer in Glinde near Hamburg

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
NB are very good motorhomes but unless it's specified when ordering from new they only come with one habitation door. My preference would have to be plus a driver or passenger door as well. I wouldn't be happy having to get out on a UK motorway with only the offside habitation door available. There are NB's about with two doors it's just a matter of locating one.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
All you can do is go look at them, once you choose one get it checked out before buying....personally would go for latest van IF the layout right and it checks out OK.

Are you intending to register in Spain or UK as your avatar says you are located in Spain

::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

You'll never know the answer......... Unless he pays his sub's, 5 msg used up !!

Bryan

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Morning folks,just looking for some information and guidance,I am looking to purchase an A class motorhome and I am looking at either an RMB or Niesmann & Bischoff Flair.I have spoken to a chap in Belgium who has an 1995 RMB with 75000 KM looks and sounds nice also looking at a 2003 PIlote/RMB i820, 40000km but with more goodies but was wondering is it a Pilote badged as an RMB with some of the RMB goodies fitted.The other vehicle I am looking at is in Germany and is a Niesmann & Bischoff, Flair 7000 i with 102000 kms on Fiat Ducato the RMB is on Mercedes chassis.What are your thoughts guys,thanks Ray.

I have a N & B Flair 8000iL, on an Iveco chassis. I am looking to sell it sometime soon. My wife wants to drive a motorhome but the flair is too big.
45 k miles, Right hand drive, Nov 2005. The price is a steal for what it is. Its amazing and faultless for its age and I can supply photos if you would like. PM me if you like.
Phil

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
NB are very good motorhomes but unless it's specified when ordering from new they only come with one habitation door. My preference would have to be plus a driver or passenger door as well. I wouldn't be happy having to get out on a UK motorway with only the offside habitation door available. There are NB's about with two doors it's just a matter of locating one.
Makes security a lot less hassle had mine 7 years and never had to exit on a UK motorway yet

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
For about 3 years the Flair was at the top of my wish list and I still think they are a beautiful van but I am now very happy with the RMB. The Mercedes base was the deciding factor for me. We are in ours most of the year and the availability of genuine spares means a lot to me. I know there will always be someone in the black country willing to cast and machine a new bit for a tired Fiat. I just would not want to be without a van for what could be several weeks waiting for it to be fitted.
Oh and yes RMB have been part of the Pilote group for a while now.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Damn, maybe my occasional enthusiastic ramblings about my own RMB haven't sunk in to you all yet. Have I been that boring? :LOL:

I can't comment on the N&B as I haven't seen one in any detail, but I am passionate about older RMB's and, much to the apparent ignorance of all the members here :cry:, will pop up to passionately defend this wonderful make to the hilt whenever required. And today, it seems, is one of those days.:) Sir, you have brightened my morning immeasurably.

So, where are we? I won't bore you with my own 1992 670 Silver Star, although it's highly tempting to post some delicious pictures, but I shan't. Everyone will think 'Udo' is Dave's. Which he isn't. He's mine. I'm the anonymous RMB fanatic. ;)

Back to the subject matter. Build quality is, in my limited experience of a rental Swift and rental Hymer, exemplary. Better than the best early 90's Hymer, in my view, which is rather saying something. There's almost a 'hewn from granite' feel to the things. Solid wood everywhere and ceramic bathroom fittings with wonderful taps. Nothing fancy, but all of extermely high quality. My 1992 RMB sold new for over 200,000 DM, which I calculated to be well over £100,000 back in 1992. The Mercedes chassis is immensely strong and the 2.9 diesel donk a constant plodder. Not fast by any stretch, but you'll get to your destination just the same and with more individuiality than most. The outer shell is a one-piece 45mm thick aluminium-reinforced lump and has excellent insulation properies as well as no leak points. Plus, it's strong. Electrical-wise, RMB's have THE most comprehensive control panel anywhere with individual isolation switches for absolutely everything and gauges for water, solar, waste, batteries, etc.

All RMB's of this era were made to order and I've yet to find any two the same. Believe me, I've looked, and my own layout has yet to be repeated. I like that.

Now, here's the good bit. Because they're so well built and because they're so old (in relative terms), they're not terribly expensive. OK, so they're more expensive than, say, a Hymer of similar age, but look at what you get in return! They're practically deprecation-proof and will outlast you on this planet. You won't get much in the way of modern electronic stuff, but they're easily upgraded to LED this and DAB that. You won't be able to drive much faster, but so what? They're built for comfort and not speed, my dear fellow. I own some rather quick cars and really do and genuinely enjoy the slower pace when away which, sadly, isn't so often these days. You will, too.

So there. I've spoken and I'm sure the history books will show that indeed Snowbird had written this rather than me, but I'll get over it, I suppose. I'll just crawl back under that stone over there and weep uncontrollably.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just to add my fourpennorth:-

Ive had single door (right hand side) N&bs for 10 years and used it extensively, I was concerned at first but now wouldnt change it. As has been said many times, better security, better insulation and better design.

The Old RMBs are a really solid well made machine, the issue you will have is to make sure you get the right one for you because they can be more difficult to sell because Joe Public has never heard of them which requires them to be a bit braver.

Personally I wouldnt buy a Fiat based Flair, because you dont have to pay much more to get one on an Iveco Chassis which IMO is a better option (check whether its a 2.8 or a 3 litre) but N&B of that era again superb craftmanship, no worries about rot.

The pilote/RMB, looks good. I would want to check it had the right gearing in it as some of them can be low geared, and you would have to be prepared for it to have a bouncy ride as its on a sprinter chassis and no mention of air suspension.

Jon

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a 2005 build Flair and cant fault the quality inside or out earlier ones were equally as good. As Jon says I would be looking for one on the IVECO rear wheel drive chassis. RMB quality build for sure but heavier than the Flair and will be older for the same money. Who said motorhomes were a compromise and nowt wrong with one door in my book.

Martin

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Regarding RMB build quality, there are many caravans on the road that you can compare with, they are certainly very well made. As regards the old Merc drive line, you can fit an overdrive gearbox and uprate the axle diff for very little money. There's a very good Merc breaker just outside Oldham that's got racks full of them.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've bought the Rmb recently that you mention in Belgium. We're really pleased with it , I've never seen a van with such quality build. Mike
Sadly the OP never invested in membership of FUN so the conversation ended

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back