Campsite Database (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Like many here, I was a Facts member for around 10 years. I departed company for all those reasons others have given.

What I found really sad about Facts was the wasted opportunity they had to make the most of the Campsite Database.

What a great idea that was and made even better with the introduction of the updateable USB.

Sadly though, it was poorly maintained and gradually became worthless despite all detailed input from the members.

I was surprised that no techie Facts member picked it up and ran with it independently.

Wouldn’t it be great if Fun could build up something similar. Instead of us all scouring various sites, buying campsite guides, downloading various sets co-ordinates, buying “frozen” USBs or, like me, maintaining my own spreadsheet, we could simple go to one place, the Fun Campsite Database, and select from that. A database loaded with all the usual site information available plus input and reviews from Fun members.

A little bit of software, a small team of volunteer members to load and screen input and job done.

Jim?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Fun already have a site for French aires , http://www.frenchaires.com/

perhaps it could be expanded to include all sites ?

We also have a Forum .. Best Campsites
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/categories/best-campsites.232/

In saying that.. the FrenchAires site isn't used much as there is already two excellent resources .. namely Campercontact and Campingcar infos ..

For Germany we have the Bordatlas..

For the UK we have UK Campsites.. also excellent plus both 'clubs' have searchable databases

...Is there any need or demand for more ?

Most of it would just be duplicates

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I contributed to the facts database, done some to the fun french aires one..

Problem is that there are so many websites, facebook groups etc you just cant keep up...
Easier maybe to put a list of useful links to these sites and groups ??

Reactions: DBK
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
has he not been accused of plagiarism . ie .. using campsite data bases owned by others ?

Well he has, but I don't really see much wrong with it. All the stuff is out there in 'internet world' already. It does actually look like a really useful resource. Anyway, isn't posting stuff on here a 'kind of plagiarism' ?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
This is a very good resource for the uk, and it's maintained and updated by users. It's very easy to add campsites or stops, and can be used offline. The more people involved, the better it gets!

http://wikicamps.co.uk/

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well he has, but I don't really see much wrong with it. All the stuff is out there in 'internet world' already. It does actually look like a really useful resource. Anyway, isn't posting stuff on here a 'kind of plagiarism' ?

It's one thing posting about a campsite , GPS etc .. no one has the intellectual rights to that information.. and quite another blatantly lifting a whole data base set for use on another site .. I believe this is what happened to Graham's Motorhomeparking site

Reactions: f6c

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Like many here, I was a Facts member for around 10 years. I departed company for all those reasons others have given.

What I found really sad about Facts was the wasted opportunity they had to make the most of the Campsite Database.

What a great idea that was and made even better with the introduction of the updateable USB.

Sadly though, it was poorly maintained and gradually became worthless despite all detailed input from the members.

I was surprised that no techie Facts member picked it up and ran with it independently.

Wouldn’t it be great if Fun could build up something similar. Instead of us all scouring various sites, buying campsite guides, downloading various sets co-ordinates, buying “frozen” USBs or, like me, maintaining my own spreadsheet, we could simple go to one place, the Fun Campsite Database, and select from that. A database loaded with all the usual site information available plus input and reviews from Fun members.

A little bit of software, a small team of volunteer members to load and screen input and job done.

Jim?
It's a nice idea but as already mentioned why bother when there are already similar databases, though I guess none of them are complete. The search for sites one, for example, doesn't list my favourite site in Cornwall.

I guess one could be started but how would you know people weren't just copying entries from other lists. I guess the only way to discourage that would be to insist any new entry came with original photographs showing the reporter had probably been there.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
The search for sites one, for example, doesn't list my favourite site in Cornwall.
The beauty of Searchforsites is that it is contains information submitted by the motorhoming community - so if your favourite site isn't there, just sign up (it's free) and add it!
I also bemoan the failure of the 'Facts' Campsite database but now contribute my site info to searchforsites and I think Ian is doing a great job in maintaining it!

Reactions: f6c

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's one thing posting about a campsite , GPS etc .. no one has the intellectual rights to that information.. and quite another blatantly lifting a whole data base set for use on another site .. I believe this is what happened to Graham's Motorhomeparking site
It doesn't matter where the information is published, be that "Internet world" or anywhere else, copyright in Literary works (which include web site text) is automatic.

Copyright law does allow certain acts and so long as postings on this (or any other) forum are restricted to Criticism and news reporting or Incidental inclusion then there is no problem. Nor is there a problem with including a reference to a source document (as I have at the beginning of the previous sentence).

What happened to me went rather further than that. I created and published a set of POIs of locations where motorhome parking was allowed. I made the set available for free download by anyone for personal use but not for re-publication, those conditions being fully explained on my web site and in the downloadable files. Unfortunately, a number of GPS web sites, two sat nav manufacturers and several other people either decided that copyright law didn't apply to them or didn't even bother to check copyright and copied and re-published my dataset. Eventually I got sick of dealing with such plagiarism (on top of putting in the work involved to maintain the set) and decided to cease its publication.

Everything I publish on the Motorhome Parking web site is the result of my own research (even if somebody suggests an entry I check up on it to ensure (as far as possible) that the suggestion is accurate). If the owner of the Searchforsites web site is doing the same then good luck to him. If not then he puts himself at risk of action.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back