Should I have my Ducato 2.3lt serviced in Spain or the UK (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a dilema; my Rapido 9066 0n a Fiat Ducato 2.3lt has done 23,700 miles and according to the Fiat website it is due for a service at in 3,300 miles problem is I will not be using the motorhome until January when we will be doing two months touring in southern Spain and Portugal when we will be clocking up around 5,000 miles. Has anyone had experience of having their Ducato van serviced in either Spain or Portugal and if so was the experience good and is there any price advantage? Alternative I could have it done ahead of schedule by Fiat in the UK
Thanks for those who may respond.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I'd have done over here. Nothing wrong with having it done early.
Don't know what's involved at the mileage you state in the OP, but mine has a similar mileage, so it wants doing early next year.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'd have done over here. Nothing wrong with having it done early.
Don't know what's involved at the mileage you state in the OP, but mine has a similar mileage, so it wants doing early next year.
My service book says service at 28k Fiat website is saying 27k either way you are right it's early next year when we will hit the milage but we will be away. It's into its fifth year so I may just bite the bullet and have the service and cam belt changed over here.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Ditto. Ours (!) is in its 5 th year in 2016, so it cam belt, water pump, brake fluid etc

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Not a direct response, but on the morning that I set off for 3 months in Marbella, my car indicated "service in 1500 miles". So I had no choice but to get it done over there, and as it was within warranty, I decided to go along the main dealer route (SEAT). I took a Spanish-speaking friend with me but she wasn't "motor savvy" BUT the service manager managed to explain that a major service included a cam belt change and that it was probably sensible to change the water pump at the same time, especially if there were signs of leakage. He also showed me exploded diagrams of all the bits of the car which would be "done".

In total I paid approx €800. What it would have cost in UK I don't know, although my local garage man now does a similar job for approx £400 (out of warranty BUT new rules would make him acceptable, I believe)

As with all of life - you make a choice and you live with the consequences. Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The rules about warranty work having to be done my a main stealer was forced to be dropped about 10 years ago
As long as the parts used are the correct parts a deaf and dumb bloater with a degree in expressive dance can do it without breaching the warranty
Main stealers will of course tell you other wise but EU law over rules what a dealer says !!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Main dealer rates here are less than half the UK. I.e.Peugeot 36,50€/hr

MyDogsTooBig

Free Member
Nov 19, 2015
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Inbetween
Exp
Since 2010
Save the milage and cost. Drive to Spain, get it serviced. You can learn what to say from Google. Just show them your service book at the right milage page. Sounds more fun to me and an adventure. If you have it done early, all you do is end up having the next service early too. I would not be concerned with quality of service either.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are the consumables cheaper/dearer though? Some stuff abroad can cost quite a bit more than here so I'd try to see what the full cost would be - what about asking on an ex-Pat's forum for instance?

Personally, I'd get it done here so that if anything is untoward you're not having to hang around for it to be sorted and 'wasting' your holiday time!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
One of the things I was trying to point out is that, if you can't speak the language fluently (including technical terms), then you are at risk of being "ripped off" (remember the advice to women "always take a man with you to the garage"? [very sexist BUT....]). The place where I had mine serviced had no English speakers DESPITE being in one of the most "English friendly" areas of the country AND being a main dealers: the chances of a "local" guy being fluent is possibly less.

IF all is well, Spain could easily prove to be a cheaper option BUT if there are problems, especially if you are "living" in the vehicle, then it could become a can of worms. Good luck - Gordon

PS My car (the same one) is now 2000 miles overdue a service - how vital is it that your van gets "done"?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
With all base vehicle servicing there is usually a 'lee-way' period, I think for one we had it was a month before and 3 months afterwards to keep within the warranty terms, so you might not need it doing before you go - check your warranty/servicing requirements.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not sure if this is relevant but when I lived in France I needed to get the car serviced and they couldn't get the parts for the RHD immediately, it took a week to source them I think. The car was French built as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back