Daytime Running Lights - Purchasing and Retro fitting (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Had a wander through Halfrauds at Lakeside today. (BTW, seeing as it was Black Friday, the store was deserted!)
Came across some DRL's which were interesting. As I don't go in to the store much, I hadn't seen them before. Basically, there were varying packs containing two strips of self-adhesive contour-mouldable LED's with a few wires attached to a miniature box. Didn't look like there was much cable in terms of length.

I've always fancied having DLR's on the MH. Got integral ones on the car and they look the bizzo as well as being a safety feature etc etc.

Anybody seen these after-market lights? Bought them? Fitted them? Costs a packet to have them done professionally and the wings of my MH have to be removed!

My other question is; how do they affect the Canbus sytem? I remember my alarm engineer telling me that, "You can't just scotchlock and hack into wires like you used to y'know....it upsets the ol' zeros and ones of the canbus". (Whatever that means?)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If they are similar to the aftermarket ones I fitted on a mk7 transit you will need an ignition or engine run supply... I chose engine run to prevent them switching on when on electric hookup which could happen if your vehicle battery gets charged when on hook up..
Think most of the instructions cover that possibility if wiring to a mh.
You will need a side light feed to the control box as well to dim them when you turn on the normal lighting...
I avoided using a feed directly from the vehicle wiring and chose to use a relay activated by an engine run signal. The power to the relay been taken from the transit aux battery...
Can't think of much else... hope it helps
Ta Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Had a wander through Halfrauds at Lakeside today. (BTW, seeing as it was Black Friday, the store was deserted!)
Came across some DRL's which were interesting. As I don't go in to the store much, I hadn't seen them before. Basically, there were varying packs containing two strips of self-adhesive contour-mouldable LED's with a few wires attached to a miniature box. Didn't look like there was much cable in terms of length.

I've always fancied having DLR's on the MH. Got integral ones on the car and they look the bizzo as well as being a safety feature etc etc.

Anybody seen these after-market lights? Bought them? Fitted them? Costs a packet to have them done professionally and the wings of my MH have to be removed!

My other question is; how do they affect the Canbus sytem? I remember my alarm engineer telling me that, "You can't just scotchlock and hack into wires like you used to y'know....it upsets the ol' zeros and ones of the canbus". (Whatever that means?)
There shouldn't be a canbus issue if you take the power supply from say the cigar lighter feed, assuming it only works with the ignition/engine running.

The ones and zeros remark was a reference to the canbus being effectively a digital network which controls where power goes to, for example the indicator stalk sends a signal to a controller which turns on the indicator light. A light cluster thus might only have two wires going to it, one thick one carrying the power and a thin one carrying the digital signals. It can be done with just one wire if the signals are overlaid on the power supply as a pulse.

From memory the system was developed for aircraft as there was a significant weight saving to be gained by removing the need for looms with a gazillion wires. Military aircraft typically use fibre optic cable for the signal so they are impervious to the electromagnetic pulse of atomic bombs. :eek:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You take the feeds from where the instructions say. No faffing with cigarette lighter supplies. Takes no time at all and all under the bonnet.
CA_12261415340025-L.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I just put my headlights on,,,BUSBY,,,

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
You take the feeds from where the instructions say. No faffing with cigarette lighter supplies. Takes no time at all and all under the bonnet.
They certainly look the biz Techno !!
Had mine 18 months ago from LEDSRUS whilst at the Malvern Show. They are really good looking at a penny under £50. Believe me, if I can fit them, then anyone can....a peace of p... !!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ledcom for me too. Absolute doddle to fit, instructions very clear and precise (just don't forget to read them PROPERLY:rolleyes:)

Reactions: f6c

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
I fitted led day runners from ledcom but when I fitted a dab radio caused all sorts of interference

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Hope they were cheap as chinese shops here sell them for a couple of euros here. (y)

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the info all.
@gus-lopez They ones I saw (strip LEDs) was £29.99 for the dearest pack.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Fitted these to my Burstner, a mate wired them in it was easy for him. They come on with ignition and automatically dim when you put side or main lights on. Each on is individual so you can put them to whatever shape you like or how many you want. Can't remember who I got them from now but we're about £70
image.jpeg

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Why not just switch on the sidelights?

Dave

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Why not just switch on the sidelights?

Dave

In my opinion to have them is to be seen or more chance of it anyway. Volvo have been doing it for years it's not a new thing. And I think all vehicles are now fitted with them as standard.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
i really don't get day driving lights, pretty sure even in Britain that big ball of hydrogen in the sky gives off plenty of light, if not put side lights on, at least they have rear lights.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In my opinion to have them is to be seen or more chance of it anyway. Volvo have been doing it for years it's not a new thing. And I think all vehicles are now fitted with them as standard.

In Norway (and some other Scandinavian countries possibly) dipped headlights is a legal requirement.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks for the info all.
@gus-lopez They ones I saw (strip LEDs) was £29.99 for the dearest pack.[/QUOTE30cm]

@wingman

@wingman
2 x 40cm (16") leds mouldable= 8,95€
2 x 30cm = """"""V """"""" = 6.95@
2 x 20cm """"""""" """"" = 4,95

1m roll 8.95€ not sure whether these were white or a colour though

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@wingman
2 x 40cm (16") leds mouldable= 8,95€
2 x 30cm = """"""V """"""" = 6.95@
2 x 20cm """"""""" """"" = 4,95

1m roll 8.95€ not sure whether these were white or a colour though
If buying strips of LED's of eBay how do you know if they conform? Vehicle lighting has to meet EU standards and be marked as such, you can't just fit any old LED's if you want to stay legal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back