New law on protecting the customer (1 Viewer)

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all
This is an urgent request please for information on an article I saw printed in the 'Which Motorhome' regarding the law being changed in the customers favour for returning a problem Motorhome. Can anyone enlighten me as I cannot find it and I am not sure if this only stands within the first month of purchase.

Some of you may have seen my story in the 'Beginners' Section - Not a good first 2 weeks

I purchased this motorhome from Lowdhams Huddersfield 31.10.15 and brought it home.

Just briefly the motorhome is still with the dealer from 11/11/15 for items on it that was not working but then informed me that they have had a letter from Ford for a Recall for Oil Filter change. After a few days of chasing they then inform me that they have been told by Ford it also has a recall for Piston Software .
I have phoned Ford to see when letters were sent out and they were 29/9/15 & 8/4/15 to the customer. This letter would have gone to the previous owner but any dealer who takes in a vehicle would see a bulletin on the computer once they log the reg no. in or the vin nu.

Do I have any rights on asking for my full money back. Fed up with all this hassle.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
call any ford dealer with your Vin number and they can check online for you.

sales of good act replaced recently with consumer rights act 2015 which is more favorable to consumers. You have missed the 30 day return period but still have your rights

• Satisfactory quality Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. You should ask what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question? For example, bargain bucket products won’t be held to as high standards as luxury goods.
  • Fit for purpose The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.
  • As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you at the time of purchase.
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

• Failed repairs After one failed attempt by the retailer to repair or replace a faulty item, you're entitled to ask for a refund or price reduction.
you can go to mediation or the legal route which can take for ever and no guarantee of a result..that's why some choose to get rid/PX and start again putting it down to experience.... being more careful next time.

good luck!

Eddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks I have phoned Ford and it was them that told me the dates of the letters going out.

I bought it on the 31.10.15 so I am just within that date, am I not?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks I have phoned Ford and it was them that told me the dates of the letters going out.

I bought it on the 31.10.15 so I am just within that date, am I not?

yes you are..I would wing a letter round there ASAP But! its used, not new so different maybe...... call Citizens advice.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

How bad are the problems? As its easy to get things out of proportion...You must have liked the van initially as you bought it recently

Last edited:
OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie

Yes thanks I put a search on the forum today for the above after my son (who is an HGV Mechanic) said they had a ford transit at work that had not been sent for the recall by ford and his employer has just found out. It now needs a new engine and has been with Ford for 3 weeks now!

I have phoned Lowdhams and asked when they received the letter regarding the recall and it was 29th October. I purchased it on the 31st October surely they sold me this knowing it needed recalling? This vehicle although it has only 2700 miles on the clock has been running with these faults since April 2015! After all the this I have just emailed Ian Brown at Lowdhams asking for my money back. I am gutted because it was the style and size for me but who knows what damage has been done. This just goes from bad to worse and I haven't even had the pleasure of using a Motorhome yet!!

Deleted User
Ensure you do everything in writing from now on, email is fine, after every phone call email to confirm the conversation listing all points discussed etc. Have a good read of the sale of goods act edit, sorry consumer rights act 2015, and ensure you quote it where necessary. I would if myself go back through all your previous conversations too and email stating all the facts, dates, what you believed they were going to do, ask why information was not passed to you etc. If you have a written record it ensures you and they are clear on your wishes.

Lin

OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ensure you do everything in writing from now on, email is fine, after every phone call email to confirm the conversation listing all points discussed etc. Have a good read of the sale of goods act edit, sorry consumer rights act 2015, and ensure you quote it where necessary. I would if myself go back through all your previous conversations too and email stating all the facts, dates, what you believed they were going to do, ask why information was not passed to you etc. If you have a written record it ensures you and they are clear on your wishes.

Lin
Hi Lin
I have just done that and have asked them to email me back to say they have seen the email and sent it on to Ian Brown (they would not give me his email address, its not their policy!). I have just received email back from the lady who has been dealing with me, so I have that evidence.

Deleted User
Hi Lin
I have just done that and have asked them to email me back to say they have seen the email and sent it on to Ian Brown (they would not give me his email address, its not their policy!). I have just received email back from the lady who has been dealing with me, so I have that evidence.
Great stuff, only you can decide if you wish to keep this particular mh, but as you haven't even had a chance to use it yet its taking the micky. If you have any doubts go for a full refund.

Lin

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Lowdhams Directors.

Mr Wilfred Roger Crafts
Mrs Emma Louise Sharpe
Mrs Judith Anne Crafts

Brown is a sales diector (Dealer Principal / Lowdhams Huddersfield)

Mr Crafts lives at
The Old Farmhouse, 103 Kneeton Road, East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, NG13 8PJ

Mr Crafts is also a director of
Colin's Caravans Of Berkshire Limited Active Director 30/09/04
Lowdham Leisureworld LTD Active Director 07/09/04
Lowdham Outdoor Leisure Limited Active Director 05/09/91
Lowdham Outdoor Leisure Limited Active Company Secretary 05/09/91
National Caravan Council Limited(interesting that):whistle:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It's the dealer principal you need to write to..

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Mr & Mrs Crafts..

X2104-9329.jpg

Judy & Roger Crafts (on the right)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
According to @Jim article on home page this 30 day rejection rule applys to used as well.....So go get them!:)

OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
yes you are..I would wing a letter round there ASAP But! its used, not new so different maybe...... call Citizens advice.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

How bad are the problems? As its easy to get things out of proportion...You must have liked the van initially as you bought it recently

I do love the van but I am concerned there maybe damage due to not having the piston software done. I know of someone who had to have a new engine put in because of this. I don't want to get a year down the line and it be knackered.

OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
According to @Jim article on home page this 30 day rejection rule applys to used as well.....So go get them!:)

Yes I have sent email to Ian Brown and Richard Crafts thanks to the help of ShiftZZ and given my details to Citizen Advice Bureau.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Again....You really need to put it in writing. Vehicle's have frequent recalls issued, is it that much of an issue as I'm not sure ..... Had one last year on my van based camper

OP
OP
Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Again....You really need to put it in writing. Vehicle's have frequent recalls issued, is it that much of an issue as I'm not sure ..... Had one last year on my van based camper

I sent an attachment of a letter with all details, gripes etc.,via email. I would think that should be the same as bulky post! But not sure. I would need clarification from Ford that no damage has been done to make me feel better.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have a transit based motorhome and had both recalls done. I think the odds of a problem on the piston recall at less than 3000 miles is very close to nil there would have been thousands of transits stranded all over the UK at less than a month old!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back