Home again and costs of our trip (1 Viewer)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Folks, We're back from our 9 week tour of France and Spain and I have calculated our costs of the trip. You can read the results in Broken Link Removed. Obviously everyone is different in what they spend their money on and there were loads of ways we could have saved money if we needed to but we wanted to find out if we could tour Europe and manage on our income. We're both retired so have a fixed income - delighted to say that we had a blast and managed to live within our means.
I'm wondering how long it will take us to get itchy feet again.
Mags

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Thanks ladies - good blog and thanks for sharing. I cycled the Camino from Le Puy to Santiago with my little dog and all our camping gear, so it is wonderful to see a few places we landed for the night on the way. The bridge in Cahors was a favourite as was this wonderful 'dog' fountain...
Looking forward to retracing my steps in the 'van this coming year!
33928_475879905691_3525126_n.jpg
184624_10151423400375692_1999474826_n.jpg

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks ladies - good blog and thanks for sharing. I cycled the Camino from Le Puy to Santiago with my little dog and all our camping gear, so it is wonderful to see a few places we landed for the night on the way. The bridge in Cahors was a favourite as was this wonderful 'dog' fountain...
Looking forward to retracing my steps in the 'van this coming year!
View attachment 84284View attachment 84286
Lovely picture of the dog in the basket. We were very moved by all the references to the Camino on our trip.
Enjoy your trip next year. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We get itchy feet once we get off the train and on to the M20 and want to go back again!

At the moment we have to make do with getting away at weekends as often as we can but we'll be off again 2 weeks tomorrow for just over 3 weeks - then it'll be back to weekends until end April and then who knows (Joe retires at last!).

Denise

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Loved reading your blog Mags and Shirley it has brightened up a few dull miserable days ...glad you are home safe and sound .:)
What a beautiful picture above the breakdown.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Your blog was so good and made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion. So pleased you had a great trip, and am sure you will be away again sometime soon. So many people half your age would have been scared to do what you have done. Don't take that the wrong way please I don't mean to say your old. Happy travels and thank you once again.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Glad to hear you've had a great trip. You've produced a fascinating and very professional blog! Super photos too.

Thank you for sharing the costs you incurred.

I couldn't help noticing this at the bottom of the page, which is always the way we feel when we return from France and Spain. :)

"Arriving back in Britain two days ago we have been struck by how much more expensive most things are here."

Mike

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Enjoyed your blog, lovely photos and lots of amusing parts, thank you.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Loved reading your blog and what beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing. We have done france for the last five years but next year we are touring Scotland. Looking at the photos though may change our minds and book a ferry!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Having read some of your blog a while back I have this evening read it all and I might add that it is the most lenghty bit of reading I have done in a long long time..... I just couldn't put it down and wanted to know what happened next all the time... Very good and well done.

I do hope the guys in the van were just checking to see if you were ok, a sort of neighbour hood watch scheme....

Could you please tell me which camera you used for your photos as they are very good.
Can't wait to do this kind of trip in the near future.

Garry& Sue

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Could you please tell me which camera you used for your photos as they are very good.
Can't wait to do this kind of trip in the near future.

Garry& Sue
Hi there, Thanks for the positive feedback. We are chuffed to bits! The main camera is a Canon Powershot Bridge Camera and sometimes we use a Canon Powershot Compact camera. The little one is pretty good for sharp pictures - the one of the barge on the misty morning was done with the small camera. Shirley is the photographer and I'm the writer. We seem to make a good team. Kind regards, Mags

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hi Mags
I've done a search for the canon power shot compact and it comes up with a few...
Do you know the exact model numer as I'm really looking for a compact that takes good pics and went to see if it fits the bill..
Many thanks

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Glad you are home safe and sound and that your trip was a great success.

Kath

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Mags
I've done a search for the canon power shot compact and it comes up with a few...
Do you know the exact model numer as I'm really looking for a compact that takes good pics and went to see if it fits the bill..
Many thanks
Ours is a Canon Powershot S600 HS. The only thing we don't like about it is that it doesn't have a viewfinder so you have to frame your shot using the screen. A similar spec compact with viewfinder will be a lot more expensive. I'm not an expert and there will be loads of opinions about the quality of our little compact but we're happy with the pictures. Happy shopping! Mags

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Glad you are both home safe n sound. Great writing/picture taking. Thanks for keeping us updated on your blog though must admit I have a wee bit catching up to do. Its usually my bedtime pastime but I'm a celebrity has taken that over for now. :)

Finvarra

Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
Very much enjoyed reading your blog and the lovely photos, brilliant! Also the expenses, it,s quite surprising, isn't it, when you keep,a record. We did our first ever trip abroad in the Moho in the spring, and keep a record of our expenses here
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...ench-trip-the-statistics.113047/#post-1497953
we were surprised too at how little our wonderful trip cost, as things are so much cheaper there. Worst thing is the long drive to and from Scotland to the channel, like you.

Cheers
Lesley

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why oh why are these blogs always upside down, don't know if it's the same on other computers, but on thei iPad you click on say, November then have to scroll right down to the bottom , then come back up a bit to read the first post, then back down it , then back up again to the top of the next one, so you've seen the jist of the month before you get to the last post at the beginning again.
But saying that enjoying reading it but it is a bit of a pain up and down.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Why oh why are these blogs always upside down, don't know if it's the same on other computers, but on thei iPad you click on say, November then have to scroll right down to the bottom , then come back up a bit to read the first post, then back down it , then back up again to the top of the next one, so you've seen the jist of the month before you get to the last post at the beginning again.
There is probably a better way for the writer to do the layout but I don't know how to do that yet. Still learning but will check it out next time. Thanks for reading it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
same with me on my lap top.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I enjoyed the blog very much and read it all last night. We are just about to set off on an open ended exploration of Europe in a motorhome and intend to keep a blog. I'm hoping people will find it interesting . So I've been looking out for why some blogs are much more interesting than others and yours made me realise humour and a willingness to describe your feelings (happy and sad) make a big difference. Your description of going in the bar and forgetting your French and them staring at you had me in stitches :)
Hope to run into you guys sometime .

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I enjoyed the blog very much and read it all last night. We are just about to set off on an open ended exploration of Europe in a motorhome and intend to keep a blog. I'm hoping people will find it interesting . So I've been looking out for why some blogs are much more interesting than others and yours made me realise humour and a willingness to describe your feelings (happy and sad) make a big difference. Your description of going in the bar and forgetting your French and them staring at you had me in stitches :)
Hope to run into you guys sometime .
Thanks for those insights - I too have wondered about what makes some blogs more interesting than others. I think it's partly about different people's interests. I like to observe people so that's what tends to feature in my blog. On the other hand I've never been a great fan of historical sites so anyone who is looking for that kind of information will find someone else's more to their taste. I've been delighted and amazed at the number of readers the blog has attracted. Thanks for the positive comments and hope you have a fantastic time on your trip. We've only been home two days and I'm missing it already. ;(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back