Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I have been using my camcorder and the battery was low, so I switched it off and removed the battery to fit a charged one.
When I switched it back on ---------it cam up with a message ---format or lose all data. what am I supposed to do ?? I would rather not lose all that is on the disc.
Help !!!!!!!
Nigel

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
I have been using my camcorder and the battery was low, so I switched it off and removed the battery to fit a charged one.
When I switched it back on ---------it cam up with a message ---format or lose all data. what am I supposed to do ?? I would rather not lose all that is on the disc.
Help !!!!!!!
Nigel

format possibly means to finalise the disc to view on any machine.
just a thought.

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Format means wipe everything. Finalize allows the disc to be played on any machine. Is there a button to press that says finalize? If so press that rather than wipe everything. Good luck:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I would remove the disk then put a new one in and see what happens, maybe make a copy on the computer as well

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I agree with wildman do not select format, remove the disc and make a copy try your copy look for the option to finalise, if this is not possible could be the disk data may be corrupt.in which case you will need a program to repair/finalise.

Could be that removing and recharging the battery without finaliseing the disc, and then could be your camera is seeing the disk as a blank and therefore wanting to format (whenever i put a new disk in the cam formated it to a chioce of two types can't remamber what they were)

I had a sony dvd recorder (in fact its in the cupboard somewhere) had lots of problems with it one of my worst buy's

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
just seems strange it should say...... format or lose all data.

I don't understand that John ;but format is format and thats erases all data could be a foreign jobby with mixed up translation.

anyhow if he copies the disk there is a chance of recovery and could risk the format option? have to wait for his feedback

if we knew the format of the images on the disk we could perhaps find a program to finalise then burn to disk?

Sherpa

Free Member
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
25yrs with breaks
Have you recorded anything on this disc before, if you have then I'm stumpted, but if this is the first time, then like Sinbad said, could be your camera is seeing the disk as a blank and therefore wanting to format , which actualy means there is no footage on the disc or sd-card, you normaly have to format the disc before recording.

I don't know what type of camcorder you have, but as far as I know there is no way or reason to finalise a camcorder disc, if this was at all possible you would then not be able to record any more footage on that particular disc or card.

I can think of no other reason for your error message, and if I'm correct then sadly you have been filming absolutely nothing.

Hope this helps

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Have you recorded anything on this disc before, if you have then I'm stumpted, but if this is the first time, then like Sinbad said, could be your camera is seeing the disk as a blank and therefore wanting to format , which actualy means there is no footage on the disc or sd-card, you normaly have to format the disc before recording.

I don't know what type of camcorder you have, but as far as I know there is no way or reason to finalize a camcorder disc, if this was at all possible you would then not be able to record any more footage on that particular disc or card.

I can think of no other reason for your error message, and if I'm correct then sadly you have been filming absolutely nothing.

Hope this helps

You may be right all may be lost ,failed finalizing is a common fault with camcorders but if the data is there then could be a chance of recovery.

Finalizing or closing of a DVD is to prevent additional data being added to the disk and make it usable on PC's and DVD players.

The problem is if it isn't finalized then the PC or DVD player will not be able to read it or play.

This all depends on the value you put on the footage of the disk, there are several companies that will do this for you (at a price) you can find these by goggling.

However, it is possible to do this yourself if you have the right software Nero9
there is a trial version Link Removed

More info and how to recover unformalized disks using Nero Link Removed

Regards

Sherpa

Free Member
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
25yrs with breaks
Problem is,, We don't know what type of camcorder this problem relates to, is the data recorded on a cd, an sd-card or an hd drive or what, if its recorded on a cd then it would need to be finalised in order to play back on a PC or TV, which means a new disc would have to be inserted for each session.

Seems like this data has been recorded on a cd or mini dvd, and when the camcorder battery lost its power the machine assumed the session was over, therefor there would be a choice of either reformatting and losing all data, or finalising and saving existing data.

Sinbad, you suggest making a copy of the disc, but how can a copy be made if the data is not readable ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
:thumb:Thanks for all your advise guys:thumb:
My laptop went flat and I was having too much fun to bother re-charging it (I still have to run genny to charge it)
I found someone who knew what to do !!!! I think she just finalized it? Then we put in a new disc and formatted that, we saved all the film on the first disc and on Sunday I neally filled the second ---------entirely of the MUD RUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:
Nigel

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:thumb:Thanks for all your advise guys:thumb:
My laptop went flat and I was having too much fun to bother re-charging it (I still have to run genny to charge it)
I found someone who knew what to do !!!! I think she just finalized it? Then we put in a new disc and formatted that, we saved all the film on the first disc and on Sunday I neally filled the second ---------entirely of the MUD RUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:
Nigel

Glad you got it sorted Guys.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back