Alloy wheels (1 Viewer)

Dec 9, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
My motor home has alloy wheels, my spare has steel. In the event of a puncture and I had to use the spare could the wheel nuts from the alloy wheels be used. Thanks for any input.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think you are supposed to use the spare as exactly that, ie get a puncture, put steel on, and then repair the alloy one and re-fit it. A bit like a space saver, only the correct size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
As above poster, tyre will be correct size etc wheel nuts will fit but change back to alloy as soon as poss. And keep spare as spare, had same thing on skoda

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Do not assume that the wheel bolts from the Alloy wheels can be used for the steel spare. On a Fiat based Burster we had the ones used for the Alloy wheels were too long for the steel spare as I found out in Germany. I had to buy different ones to allow the spare to be used.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
One thing be aware of if you have 'blind' locking nuts.

When using the steel spare wheel the nuts may tighten onto the end of the thread before tightening onto the wheel.
I pushed the end off one locking nut while torqueing a steel space saver because it tighten to the stud before the wheel.

Deleted User
On our hymer caravan the wheel studs are different lengths, different profiles and different hex socket size. Is there nothing in the manual, I would think the results could be catastrophic if the wrong studs/nuts are used.

OP
OP
albial
Dec 9, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hi thanks for your reply. My motor home is on a ford base so I will play safe and get wheel nuts for the spare.
Thanks. Albial

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ducato X250
Ally's fitted, steel spare, nuts the same :)
( Dont ask how I know .. DOH !!!!!!!!!!! )

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Fiesta Car has alloys and a steel spare there is a special collared wheel nut on the alloys and ordinary tapered nuts for the steel one the hole in the allow much bigger than the other one. Have a close look and check the manual carefully.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
My motor home has alloy wheels, my spare has steel. In the event of a puncture and I had to use the spare could the wheel nuts from the alloy wheels be used. Thanks for any input.
as long as they are factory fitted wheels and the spare was supplied by the factory they will be fine.I have alloys on our N+B and a steel spare and the same wheel studs do both.
Brian & Jo

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The wheel nuts on my alloys fit the steel spare, however, the supplied Renault toolkit didn't fit the wheel nuts ! Drove around for three years before I tried the supplied tool kit and jack out on the drive. I now carry a breaker bar, socket and 4 ton hydraulic jack with me. Think I had a lucky escape, suggest you have a try out on your drive too for peace of mind (y)

OP
OP
albial
Dec 9, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All
It is a hymer factory fitted alloys checked today and it looks as though they will be ok. Thanks for your input.

Albial

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just to add a little warning - I fitted after-market alloys but kept the steel spare. The alloys wheel nuts were quite different to the steel, so I kept a set of wheel nuts for the spare.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Some years back I Had a Company Supplied, Astra, with Alloys and a Steel Spare. The steel spare had ITS OWN studs. and a warning NOT to use the studs from the alloy wheels. When I queried it with the Dealer. I was told the the Taper under the head of the Stud, was a Different Angle on the alloys, as to the steel, and it was likely that in use with the "Wrong" Studs would work loose, It also had different Torque Settings BTW.

Guess it is worth checking on?

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back