Gov't lose £80m after scrapping car tax discs (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The worry here with that increase is that those vehicles with no tax are probably not insured and I bet they have no MOT either !!!!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
And they are about to close all those Inland Revenue offices. Still I suppose that what is foremost in the eyes of those that make these decisions is that government spending as a share of GDP is shrinking and that per se is a good thing. :rolleyes:

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Mmmm!...

I smell propoganda....

I can see "the black box" currently used for young drivers... Bring indroduced for all....

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
80 M so where are the next cut's coming to our transport system culdent make it up could you were all in it together just wondering what were all in
bill

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oh!! don't worry there just working up to----------------------
Supose we had better put 20p VED on a gallon, just to break even you understand:eek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Clue there Graham
The move has also led to a doubling in the number of unlicensed vehicles on British roads.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Right from the start it was quite obvious this was not going to work with no visual conformation of vehicle tax paid. Was not a missing or out of date tax disk regarded as 'a starter for 10' by the police ??
Yet another example of this government failing to protect its citizens.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It was also easy for police to spot untaxed cars – something that it is no longer possible.

What a load of crap.
Police cars are fitted with ANP cameras which instantly alert the police to any irregularities.

Plod in a car couldn't physically see if a car had a current tax disc unless the untaxed car was stopped for something else.

I don't care where these stats have come from, I dispute the figures.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
theirs no substitute for the mark one eye ball
bill

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
It was also easy for police to spot untaxed cars – something that it is no longer possible.

What a load of crap.
Police cars are fitted with ANP cameras which instantly alert the police to any irregularities.

Plod in a car couldn't physically see if a car had a current tax disc unless the untaxed car was stopped for something else.

I don't care where these stats have come from, I dispute the figures.
Not a cop or traffic warden on the beat, there is now nothing to alert them to an untaxed vehicle?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh!! don't worry there just working up to----------------------
Supose we had better put 20p VED on a gallon, just to break even you understand:eek:
I'm in the agree camp there.
The more you use the road the more you pay, and I get 22mpg for most of motoring.
My motorhome could be stood for months (the reason I sold it) but it still had to be taxed incase I did want to use it for the odd weekend.
Putting a couple of bob on fuel would mean I only pay when I used it.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I had a letter from Divots VLA saying one of my work vehicles was not taxed since 1st Oct,, wanting £80 fine, and £19.90 cost of unpaid tax, spent 98 mins on phone, 3 weeks e mailing , just to be told it is taxed but easiest way out of it is to pay the fine and costs, then it will be refunded to me when sorted out.
If I don't they even threaten County Court action.
YES THIS TRUE
A BLOOMING JOKE,

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
When did you last see a copper on foot.
I haven't seen one in Scarborough for any a long time.
By that I take it you mean a real policeman, rather than a PCSO. Depressingly last summer, we had an exceptional beat bobby, who always made his presence felt in town. Haven't seen him for ages, so I guess he is a victim of the cuts.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I'm in the agree camp there.
The more you use the road the more you pay, and I get 22mpg for most of motoring.
My motorhome could be stood for months (the reason I sold it) but it still had to be taxed incase I did want to use it for the odd weekend.
Putting a couple of bob on fuel would mean I only pay when I used it.

Agree put a few pence on fuel, no vehicle excise duty
Excise duty definination

Definitions (3)manufacture, sale, or use of locally produced goods (such as alcoholic drinks or tobacco products).
2.A percentage tax levied on a company's revenue, instead of (like income tax) on the company's income.
3.A fixed tax levied on an activity or occupation, such as the license fee charged from attorneys, doctors, and other professionals. Also called excise tax.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/excise-duty.html#ixzz3sdMspps9

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I had a letter from Divots VLA saying one of my work vehicles was not taxed since 1st Oct,, wanting £80 fine, and £19.90 cost of unpaid tax, spent 98 mins on phone, 3 weeks e mailing , just to be told it is taxed but easiest way out of it is to pay the fine and costs, then it will be refunded to me when sorted out.
YES THIS TRUE
A BLOOMING JOKE,
If you have proof of tax, go to court at the county court hearing, they will lose, and then they will have to foot the costs, including your own!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
DVLA in our street last month clamped two cars
bill

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
YES THIS TRUE
A BLOOMING JOKE,

Had similar a while back - just said fine see you in court and bring your cheque book and put the phone down - had a letter within 2 days saying no action to be taken on this occasion !! Cheeky sods

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Adding tax to fuel will be a short term benefit to the few people doing low mileages. This will hit the commercial hauliers and the suggested 20p per litre will add a substantial extra cost to the cost of living as that increase will hit just about everything you buy

Be very careful about wishing for something - you might just get it and regret it !!!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Adding tax to fuel will be a short term benefit to the few people doing low mileages. This will hit the commercial hauliers and the suggested 20p per litre will add a substantial extra cost to the cost of living as that increase will hit just about everything you buy

Be very careful about wishing for something - you might just get it and regret it !!!
bring back the tax disc it worked for years
bill

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Put it on the fuel.
I'm buying in the Irish Republic at cica £0.80 pence/litre....... Be cheap tax !

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the latest scam is three same model cars change the plates to match one brother has one in Bradford the other in London the third in Bristol ANPR sees all three cars as taxed and registered CHANCES OF ANYONE LOOKING AT THE VIN PLATES =0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back