Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Found this on ebay and wondered what you all thought about this. I'm not sure how to do this but this is the ebay item number 171798061808 i believe if you paste this into ebay search it will come up .its title is,
Outdoor Gas Flat Cylinder Tank Camping Propane Refill Inflatable Adapter

I think this is bloody dangerous
What do you think

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
He's sold 53, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole though. Bound to be no proper safety markings if it's come straight from China

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
VERY DANGEROUS!!!!! It uses thin clear plastic pipe to connect the two cylinders, propane is stored at about 100 psi. It won't work either, the best you could hope for would be to half fill the second cylinder.....................eventually, and we're talking after several days if not longer, not that the pipe would last that long.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
IMHO to use that to fill non refillable cartridges is probably the most dangerous thing I have seen in many a year - how can you guarantee the correct fill amount to allow correct gassing of the fluid ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You would have to turn the big cylinder upside-down I think to get the liquid gas out. Is it dangerous? Done in the middle of a field the filling operation itself, if it worked, should be reasonably safe although you would get a few whiffs of the gas when connecting and uncoupling. The dangerous aspects I think are the quality of the new fitting on the big cylinder and how long the valve on the little cylinder would last. Those cylinders are designed for one use only and then be disposed of. Start reusing them and they might fail while being stored or transported.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I don't advocate this practice for a single moment, the possible threat to life and limb does not equate to any possible cost savings, however
It looks like biased unfounded opinions and some scaremongering are being banded about as fact. So lets put it into some sort of perspective.

If you fully understand the science, take all required precautions, inspect the materials to be used, it seems it could be done safely.

I don't follow Dave's assumption that the pipe is fish tank air pipe because its clear, there are many high pressure clear pipes available
or that it will take Days???? You did mean seconds Dave didn't you? or are you confusing this kit with your home made Whisky Distillery;)

I don't agree that because there appears to be no clear safety markings it is automatically unsafe. Clear and fully marked equipment has killed many a fool!
I don't agree that because it's Chinese it's dangerous, masses of very safe equipment has a Chinese origin or parts.

I'm old skool, Im also an ex smoking survivor of Butane filled cigarette lighters and filling tanks, quantities are less, risk is the same
(this e bay kit has far better sealing properties than any of the former)
I've also filled and or decanted my own petrol from tank to tank for years, and killed no one, Petrol by the way has a flash point of about 45 Propane is 150
the higher the number the harder it is to set fire to, but don't be fooled by those numbers.
its all pretty damn quick to go up when it does go tits up AND IT HURTS when it does.
Iv'e also seen campers fill a red hot Gennie with petrol and the fire that resulted (See fools above)
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
G

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
VERY DANGEROUS!!!!! It uses thin clear plastic pipe to connect the two cylinders, propane is stored at about 100 psi. It won't work either, the best you could hope for would be to half fill the second cylinder.....................eventually, and we're talking after several days if not longer, not that the pipe would last that long.

D.

He does say to turn the big cylinder upside down so liquid would flow. Should only take a short while to get it to transfer.

IMHO to use that to fill non refillable cartridges is probably the most dangerous thing I have seen in many a year - how can you guarantee the correct fill amount to allow correct gassing of the fluid ?
He tells you to use scales and not to fill over a certain weight..

All that being said. I do agree it is dangerous and not worth the risk.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
oops. the time between opening a post and posting means others got their replies in and covered the same ground.

Listen to Geo on this not me (y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There is another aspect that no one has picked up on, it is using propane to fill a disposable cartridge..................which was designed for butane storage. Butane is stored as liquid under pressure just like propane is, they are both LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) but butsane is stored at approx 28 psi and propane at 100 psi, nearly four times the pressure into a thin tin can designed to be used then disposed of.

D.

Reactions: DBK
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Think this should be brought to the attention of trading standers I have spoken to one in our local office I have sent a link to my local trading standers officer who I know personally
think every one with concerns on this particular item should do the Sam also reported to eBay

bill

POWERPLUS

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
armacao de pera
Funster No
MH
swift 620fb
Exp
hi all
i got a similar adapter from the carboot for 50p early this year
it was well made

i did try it after reading what to do on youtube but just could not get enough gas into the rotenberger cylinder that i have

you have to pull the safety valve while filling to let the gas out so that i can fill up with liquid gas

i did this but the safety valve got a bit of something behind it and leaked afterwards

in portugal for the winter and we are filling our propane bottles at the local garage

barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back