Help - water coming straight out when filling (1 Viewer)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Hi guys,

Trying to get ready for the Scotland trip. Filling up with water and it's coming straight back out from a place I have never seen it come from (I have closed the valves etc...) it is a pipe directly below the water tank - help please??! It's a rapido a class 9010df and here is a pic. I think I can hear something whirring too..? Could it be a boiler valve type thing?
image.jpeg

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Have you got and Auto boiler dump valve? This -as far as I am aware, needs resetting manually if it has opened due to cold weather. Whirring noise - poss water pump on?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is the boiler drain off..
If it is cold where you are the chances are the automatic dump valve has opened.
They are very handy but can be a pain in the parts..
I ended up having to hold mine shut with a peg !

It is a thing with a wee bobbing top on it and you have to pull the bobbin handle UP to close the thing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Closer inspection shows that it is this cylinder type thing on the left of the pic that is whirring and getting warm. Where do I find the wee bobbin thing?!
image.jpeg

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You'll find this dump valve above your boiler, they are normally red. Just lift it up and ensure in clicks and stays up.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Cylinder thing could be the water pump. It is getting hot as there is no water in the system. Check all taps are off or switch off pump supply.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Just a point to note. Should the red lever be in line with the pipe as per the arrow on it. Unsure of your system, but it would seem that this is a valve and should be in line for flow?

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp

Thanks Jim. Another emergency @work means I can't until later :( @Zigisla to be honest when I heard the water running I just assumed that the missus had left the valves open after we emptied last tin and just turned them until I could hear the water stop. But it didn't. Here's a pic of the boiler I know I'm being thick but it isn't immediately obvious to me where the dump valve is..? Thanks for your help guys :)

image.jpeg

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
The blue bit to the right centre of the picture, pull it up

Cheers Eddie. And it would appear place a peg under it to stop closing as its gonna be cold in Scotland..!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Eddie has the right bit but wrong action, you need to turn the blue know on the top at the same time as pushing the button in at the bottom right, but in your photo it is in the closed position so it's not that.
The red hot water T piece at the top has a valve in that allows air out when the boiler is filled this often sticks open and drains the boiler and water system a common fault on the older 6002 heaters.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Cheers Eddie. And it would appear place a peg under it to stop closing as its gonna be cold in Scotland..!!!
Well you wouldn't be the first person in the world to do that, obviously as a trained professional I could never suggest it, in case you forget!

However, we have the same system on the Van Bitz exhibition unit and it is by passed :lipssealed:

It will dump the water when it gets to a certain temperature or, when the voltage is low, inconvenient when the water dumps all over the NEC lol

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hope you get it fixed.
Not that cold up here now. Glasgow 9.5c today

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
@eddievanbitz @lennyhb thanks guys although there appears to be some confusion at what needs to happen? I'll try with the pulling the blue knob up first as that's something that even I can do...! I'll report back around 3pm.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Defo dont need to "Pull" this type. See link above post #6 that is your type.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Defo dont need to "Pull" this type. See link above post #6 that is your type.

Now I am really confused and/or stupid. As @lennyhb has suggested the valve may not be in the closed position. I'll have a look to see if the reset button has been depressed?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sorry my mistake, now I have looked at the picture on a PC not my phone lol " Lifted from the instructions:-

A. FrostControl

(Safety/drain valve with integral frost protection / optional in UK version)

FrostControl is a currentless safety/drain valve. When there is a danger of frost, it automatically drains the contents of the boiler through a drainage socket. If excessive pressure is present in the system, pressure will be automatically intermittently equalized through the pressure relief valve.

a b c d

Figure 3

a = rotary switch position "On"

b = pushbutton position "Closed"

c = pushbutton position "Drain"

d = drainage socket (led outside through floor of vehicle)

Opening the safety/drain valve

1. Turn the rotary switch by 180° until it engages, whereby the pushbutton pops out (position c). The water from the boiler drains through the drainage socket (d).
The FrostControl drainage socket (d) must be free of contamination (slush, ice, leaves, etc.) at all times so the water can drain out easily! No claims may be made under the warranty for damage caused by frost.

Closing the safety/drain valve

1. Check whether the rotary switch is set to "On" (position a), i.e. parallel to the water connection and engaged.
  1. Close the safety/drain valve by pressing the pushbutton. The pushbutton must engage in position (b) "closed".
Only when the temperature at the safety/drain valve is above approx. 7 °C can it be closed manually with the pushbutton (position b) and the boiler filled.

Truma supplies a heating element (part no. 70070-01) as an accessory, which is inserted into the FrostControl and fixed in place with a retaining bracket. This heating element heats the FrostControl to approx. 10 °C when the Combi is switched on.This means that the boiler can be filled sooner, irrespective of the temperature in the installation compartment.

Automatic opening of the safety/drain valve

If the temperature at the safety/drain valve is below about 3 °C, it will open automatically and the pushbutton pops out (position c). The water from the boiler drains through the drainage socket (d).

B. Safety/drain valve

(Safety/drain valve without frost protection / standard in UK version)

The safety/drain valve automatically equalises the pressure in the event of overpressure in the system. When this occurs, the water is drained to the outside in intermittent bursts via a drainage socket.

This safety/drain valve does not protect the water container

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Ours has the same drain tap as that. there is a small button on the back/side which has to be bushed in until it clicks into place. Be aware that it will not lock in if it is below about 7 degrees. I have trouble getting it to lock in in the past because the temperature of the water in the mains is below 7.
Experience tells me it is easier to lock it in with the system empty, then put the heating on low before filling.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Ok. Looked at the valve and the button was NOT in. I did press it and spin it and just sounded like a lot of water was being pushed through. I have left in in the position shown below. Still a whirring sound. What's next? Cleaning the red hot water t piece?

image.jpeg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Has the water stopped coming out ?

If not...
It will take quite a while for the tank to fill up.

And I would suggest you open the hot water taps as it will avoid air locks :)

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Has the water stopped coming out ?

If not...
It will take quite a while for the tank to fill up.

And I would suggest you open the hot water taps as it will avoid air locks :)

No. The water was still coming out. And the whirring from the cylinder indicated in the first pic was still going.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bugger.. The noise is the pump working.
I am not familiar with that particular dump valve so cannot help further .. Sorry

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
What's next? Cleaning the red hot water t piece?

This could be the prob, inside is a small, very basic, non-return valve. It only needs a drop of water to remain, and, freeze and it's knackered. I always carry a spare, last one I bought was about 12 -13 quid.
This is the reason I cover my Boiler with an old bit of a duvet when not in use in the winter.

AND! Top marks to you for testing everything BEFORE you leave home(y)
:notworthy2:

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I'm fiddling around with everything and don't want to mess it all up. I wanted to drain the boiler so keep on pressing the button and turning the knob. Each time I do this a whole load of more water seems to get into the boiler :( I've emptied the main tank - just to see if I can get the pump to stop (which happens if I turn the panel off) if there is no water in it.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If there's no water in the system the pump won't stop unless you turn it off!
Need to get dump valve closed,fill main tank,turn pump on and bleed air out of taps and then when the system is pressurised the pump should stop,
thats the theory anyway!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would shut everything down on the control panel to shut the pump up and then try again.

Warning though - I am clueless.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I'm fiddling around with everything and don't want to mess it all up. I wanted to drain the boiler so keep on pressing the button and turning the knob. Each time I do this a whole load of more water seems to get into the boiler :( I've emptied the main tank - just to see if I can get the pump to stop (which happens if I turn the panel off) if there is no water in it.

Sorry, but are you trying to drain the system or fill it? I assumed from the OP that you were trying to fill it. is the water coming out from the the blue frost valve or the red overheat valve?
I can see from the pic that the drain valve is open, when the button has engaged in the closed position it is flush with the black plastic cover. If you are trying to fill it you need to get the button to stay in by pushing it in hard until it clicks into place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I was trying to drain it (now) in cas no need to take it apart and fiddle with stuff. Anyway update. I've kicked it hit it called it names and screamed while pressing stuff. Filling it up and the water is no longer draining out. Pump is off too. Thanks for all your help - I feel relived like you would not imagine! So - to stop this happening in Scotland- leave the water on and eat up into gas, or is there another ingenious solution I can fashion up?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I was trying to drain it (now) in cas no need to take it apart and fiddle with stuff. Anyway update. I've kicked it hit it called it names and screamed while pressing stuff. Filling it up and the water is no longer draining out. Pump is off too. Thanks for all your help - I feel relived like you would not imagine! So - to stop this happening in Scotland- leave the water on and eat up into gas, or is there another ingenious solution I can fashion up?

You will need to keep the valve from getting cold, you only need to keep the heating on minimum (either gas or electric), you don't need to keep the hot water on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back