Need advice - various problems since purchase 3 months ago (1 Viewer)

GrandmaLiz

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
Funster No
[FONT=&quot]Hi all,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’ll try to be as brief as possible:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I bought my MH (1995 2.4 diesel automatic VW T4 Holdsworth Valentine) in March this year from a dealer (not local to me – approx 150 miles away) and I have had a few problems with it since purchase. It was supposed to have had a full habitation check and service prior to purchase – which included a 12 month insurance backed ‘warranty’. I had about £2,500 worth of extras fitted prior to buying it (solar panel, alarm and immobiliser, reversing camera). I paid for everything on my credit card. Problems as follows:[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Water ingress into main habitation area – turned out to be blocked waste outlet and consequent build up of water. Had full habitation check by a local dealer, problem identified and fixed, reimbursed by vendor.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Significant loss of engine power uphill – had vehicle serviced by local dealer who said filters etc. needed changing which suggested that the vendor hadn’t serviced it prior to me buying it. Problem improved although to some extent the lack of power is apparently due to the van not being a turbo diesel.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Main battery not charging – called out RAC and needed a new battery.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Wind out awning fitted incorrectly i.e. tension brackets in wrong place (at extreme right and left of ‘rail’) which means that the extending ‘support arms’ don’t do their job properly and I can’t attach the supports for the zip-on safari room. Last week was the first time I wanted to use the safari room so I have only just discovered this problem. I haven’t had it looked at yet but I assume the ‘tension brackets’ will have to be moved which will leave holes in the body with potential water ingress problems.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Finally, I don’t think my ‘warranty’ is valid. Reading the small print, the dealer should have guaranteed the vehicle was sound prior to sale and should have stamped the service log. I looked at the log but there is no stamp by the dealer. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am very worried that if anything else should go wrong the warranty won’t be worth the paper it’s written on and I still have to resolve the problem with the awning.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. Are the above problems serious enough to justify me going back to the dealer and asking for a full refund and then going elsewhere for a MH? Thanks for reading this and for any help you can give.[/FONT]

GrandmaLiz
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
·[FONT=&quot]Wind out awning fitted incorrectly i.e. tension brackets in wrong place (at extreme right and left of ‘rail’) which means that the extending ‘support arms’ don’t do their job properly and I can’t attach the supports for the zip-on safari room. Last week was the first time I wanted to use the safari room so I have only just discovered this problem. I haven’t had it looked at yet but I assume the ‘tension brackets’ will have to be moved which will leave holes in the body with potential water ingress problems.[/FONT]

hi GrandmaLiz,

sorry cant advise on the other stuff but....

where you refer to the 'support arms' do you mean the removable extending rafter poles between the front rail and the awning casing?
and the 'tension brackets' as the plastic brackets these clip into?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

It sounds as though you have been a very patient customer, unfortunatley rejecting a purchase can be a long winded affair with no guarantee of success although from what you say you should be liable for your costs of putting things right.

Insurance based warranties in many cases are not worth the paper they are written on due to the many get out clauses 'fair wear and tear' being the main one unless one has the back up of the supplying dealer.

At the end of the day your dealer is responsible under the Sale of Goods Act irrespective of any insurance based warranty.

As far as the awning is concerned if you phone us and explain the problem, Darren or Glen can advise you.

Good luck.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GrandmaLiz

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi,

It sounds as though you have been a very patient customer, unfortunatley rejecting a purchase can be a long winded affair with no guarantee of success although from what you say you should be liable for your costs of putting things right.

Insurance based warranties in many cases are not worth the paper they are written on due to the many get out clauses 'fair wear and tear' being the main one unless one has the back up of the supplying dealer.

At the end of the day your dealer is responsible under the Sale of Goods Act irrespective of any insurance based warranty.

As far as the awning is concerned if you phone us and explain the problem, Darren or Glen can advise you.

Good luck.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply - I phoned JCMH and spoke to Darren. He was very helpful and explained how the awning should be fitted. Apparently the 2.5 and 3 mtr Fiamma awnings (mine is 3mtrs) are fitted in a slightly different way to the larger ones and the instructions (very poor pictures) don't show or explain how to fit it properly. The good news is that it sounds as though mine is fitted correctly so I will put it up in the next few days to make sure. Thanks once again for your help and please pass on my appreciation to Darren.

Regards,

(Grandma)Liz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back