Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

I just sent off for an Amazon Fire TV stick (). As far as I can see all you need is a power supply and a decent wifi signal so I thought maybe we could use it in the van too. Any other Funsters tried this?

Paul

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Streaming from site WiFi will make you deeply unpopular! However, we have streamed Netflix using a 4G router, it works extremely well!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If the WiFi is good enough and you have the data allowance then can't see any issues. We have several at home ( all modified with kodi) but not used one in the van.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If the WiFi is good enough and you have the data allowance then can't see any issues. We have several at home ( all modified with kodi) but not used one in the van.
Afraid you e missed out not getting the one with kodi, if you have the one with just Amazon you have to be signed up to Amazon prime and pay a monthly subscription.
Kodi will get you anything in the world for free.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...accepting that using it is pretty much certain to be piracy - I've not found any Add Ons yet which are properly authorised by the copyright holders.
I'm not in anyway judging - just making awareness as Kodi is often mentioned - of why it is "free"

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have been using the Roku3 stick in motorhome for months and can watch Netflix, BBC, ITV, Ch4, CH5, and Plex. Used in UK, France, Germany and here in Spain (you will need to sort UK IP address outside UK). Great bit of kit and so small.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
...accepting that using it is pretty much certain to be piracy - I've not found any Add Ons yet which are properly authorised by the copyright holders.
I'm not in anyway judging - just making awareness as Kodi is often mentioned - of why it is "free"
Agreed , but just saying the firestick won't work for free, which it appears the op thinks

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Agreed , but just saying the firestick won't work for free, which it appears the op thinks
Not sure if this would apply to the Firestick too - but I have a Chromecast which works very well, clever bit of kit... but:
...in the course of my work, I stay in many hotels around the world and I have never yet managed to get it to work on the hotel wifi network.
Something to do with not being able to connect to the base network router.
Anyway I generally prefer to watch pre-downloaded content via my tablet & hdmi cable - and if I really must watch 'live' tv, there's always Kodi ;).

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looked at the link and most of the "preloaded stuff" is at best poor and at worst rubbish, but if you want a "plugin and play" until your board silly it's fine. Have a look at the Roku 3 system.
Sorry don't understand that, you can get every film ever made right up to today, live premiership football as it happens, every tv channel in the world, all sports world wide, what more can you have?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not sure if this would apply to the Firestick too - but I have a Chromecast which works very well, clever bit of kit... but:
...in the course of my work, I stay in many hotels around the world and I have never yet managed to get it to work on the hotel wifi network.
Something to do with not being able to connect to the base network router.
Anyway I generally prefer to watch pre-downloaded content via my tablet & hdmi cable - and if I really must watch 'live' tv, there's always Kodi ;).
The problem you have is Chromecast and many other stick of that kind is it uses DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (build in to the firmware) and many places like hotels block that DNS. The roku does the same, but there is a way round it.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Sorry don't understand that, you can get every film ever made right up to today, live premiership football as it happens, every tv channel in the world, all sports world wide, what more can you have?
I don't doubt it, but the streaming is not always good. Try watching football on a Saturday and many find it freezes the picture.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The problem you have is Chromecast and many other stick of that kind is it uses DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (build in to the firmware) and many places like hotels block that DNS. The roku does the same,
but there is a way round it.
Is that the reason, interesting (y)
...there is - I use a cable! :D

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't doubt it, but the streaming is not always good. Try watching football on a Saturday and many find it freezes the picture.
I watch stoke city matches as they happen in hd on phonix, now that must be about the most obscure match , it may buffer at the beginning then after that runs without a hitch, I am in Portugal at the moment in my mates villa and all the tv there comes through a firestick, just like being at home, not bulling this up just saying as I find.

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
My lovely wife, God bless her, signed up for a free Amazon Prime trial a couple of years ago and then of course forgot all about it! It seems we have already paid a couple of years subscription for nothing.

She has now started watching films etc on her iPad via Prime. The biggest benefit of getting the Fire TV stick of course is I will be able to watch the new Clarkson / Hammond / May version of Top Gear when it comes out ;)

Paul

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The problem you have is Chromecast and many other stick of that kind is it uses DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (build in to the firmware) and many places like hotels block that DNS. The roku does the same, but there is a way round it.
Slightly OT those are Google DNS's I've notice in Hotels my emails won't send if I using the Google smtp server.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
All this new technology is leaving me behind and I'm not even 52 yet. I've read the fire webpage but i'm still puzzled. Just to clarify you need wifi for this? I kinda thought it was like a replacement for a freeview plus box but I guess that's not the case.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
All this new technology is leaving me behind and I'm not even 52 yet. I've read the fire webpage but i'm still puzzled. Just to clarify you need wifi for this? I kinda thought it was like a replacement for a freeview plus box but I guess that's not the case.
Well, no, it isn't a replacement for your freeview box. What it is is a device that streams internet media, specifically Amazon Prime to your TV. Thus it needs an internet connection, which on the firestick is provided via WiFi. I believe the fire TV box can be hard wired via a cat5 cable, although I don't know.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I signed up for the full Amazon prime package, free deliveries and free tv/films. Excellent value for money if you buy off amazon anyway.

I use an iBoost to get wifi in the van, then use either my laptop or tablet to watch.

I also have NetFlix but I haven't watched anything on that for a few months now so will probably cancel it. Amazon seems to have a better range?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a tip for anyone who doesn't know, though I might be preaching to the converted, if you are watching something that keeps buffering or breaking up , try pausing for 20 seconds or so then it clears it.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I must be one of those LUDDITES mentioned as when I read the title I was worried someone had lost their van in a conflagration and destroyed . Not a silly dongle to go in the telly.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Afraid you e missed out not getting the one with kodi, if you have the one with just Amazon you have to be signed up to Amazon prime and pay a monthly subscription.

Description
Fire TV Stick is the most powerful streaming media stick that connects your HDTV to a world of online entertainment. Whether you're a Prime member or not,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Description
Fire TV Stick is the most powerful streaming media stick that connects your HDTV to a world of online entertainment. Whether you're a Prime member or not,
Have you tried it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back