Mull - free sites. (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
I remember a few years ago going past a site on Mull that had an area for motorhomes etc with showers, toilets etc. I can not remember where this site is. Can anyone please tell me if this site is still there and of any other free sites to camp on Mull? Just in the process of buying my first MH so this xmas break will be on a budget.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
We were on Mull 3 or 4 years ago. The only wild camping place I can recall seeing is by the beach at Calgary. However the access to it was severely restricted by some well placed large rocks making it impossible to get to. Out of season, you can probably get away with parking overnight in the car park by the harbour in Tobermory.
If you want a 'must see' place to stay then head to Fidden Farm near Fionphort. The location is just stunning! See http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=24131

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you have a panel van or short coachbuilt you can park opposite the toilets at Calgary Bay. If your van is short and narrow you can get it onto the area just off the beach but its a tight turn between 2 boulders.

OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Saying that it is not expensive on sites but the is something appealing about not being on a site. At xmas it probably will not be busy. All good fun. I guess the best thing about a MH is it is so flexible.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We called by Calgary Bay in May and I think you're allowed to tent camp but not motorhome camp due to abuse by FLT's. We parked up ok with our 6.8 m van but just for a look, we stayed at a friends near Glengorm Castle.
Edit, just remembered we saw a Swedish couple parked in a pull off opposite Loch Peallach on the B8073.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Not many places open on mull through the middle of winter. The Fidden farm campsite closes as does the Shieling holiday site which is close to the ferry at Craignure. The Tobermory campsite may be open, I can't remember but if it does it certainly wouldn't be busy.

Shieling holidays for a small fee would offer a pitch over looking the bay and water/chemical disposal/electric hookup available but no showers/loos. May not still offer it and you would have to email them to ask as otherwise all water/electric is turned of. You'd most likely be the only ones there and just a couple of miniutes walk to the Inn.

West side of the island for wild camping at Loch Na Keal and Loch Buie one of our favourites.

If it's blowing from the west Loch Na Keal can be wild, but if it's calm the views and wild life is fantastic.

Time permitting take the ferry fromLochaline to Fishnish it's the cheaper option but does mean driving up to Fort William and taking the Corran ferry but the drive across is wonderful.

Lived on Mull for 4 years and as far as we are concerned the winters are the best time of year.

Shawn.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Loads of places to stop for a night or too on Mull ,the car park at Calgary bay is a good bet just up from the toilets.
There is also a couple of nice spots along from Moy castle,as said Fidden farm is worth a visit but there are endless opportunities to pull up and stay.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The first ones Calgary bay car park .
The second the view from the window at Fidden farm.

Vlad

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Being a newbie whats a FLT?
FLT = free loading tosser (y)
tongue-in-cheek reference to those camping for free but using local facilities :)
not so tongue-in-cheek where abuse of the privilege is concerned :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
See the Information for Mull link under Argyll & Bute Here.

In particular note "a local bye-law forbids motor homes and caravans at Calgary, tents only are allowed.", despite what is posted above.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
See the Information for Mull link under Argyll & Bute Here.

In particular note "a local bye-law forbids motor homes and caravans at Calgary, tents only are allowed.", despite what is posted above.

Indeed this is true in the designated CAMPING area across from the toilet block as the signs clearly state, however I parked overnight on the beach car park which at the time had no signage stating any restrictions .

Vlad

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Signs don't matter. It is the by law which matters.
But with all bye-laws the key question is what is the penalty for non compliance?
When our local council decided to use some local bye-laws they found that when they were made donkeys year ago the act of parliament allow for a fine not exceeding five pounds. Until new bye-laws are implemented it ain't worth taking any action.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But with all bye-laws the key question is what is the penalty for non compliance?
When our local council decided to use some local bye-laws they found that when they were made donkeys year ago the act of parliament allow for a fine not exceeding five pounds. Until new bye-laws are implemented it ain't worth taking any action.

Argyll and Bute Council..
In line with national guidelines, the PCN is set at £60, to be paid within 28 days. If paid within 14 days, the charge is reduced to £30. If unpaid, the charge increases to £90.

Broken Link Removed

but apart from the possible fine... do you think it is ok to park overnight with a motorhome where it is banned just because you may get away with it... or the fine is paltry ?

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Very true. Councils do need to ensure that their bye laws are up to date.

I think central government has recognised the problem though as legislation these days tends to set the fine according to a scale of values which are varied from time to time (this staying up to date), rather than set amounts.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Argyll and Bute Council..
In line with national guidelines, the PCN is set at £60, to be paid within 28 days. If paid within 14 days, the charge is reduced to £30. If unpaid, the charge increases to £90.

Broken Link Removed
I don't know if the parking orders cover camping at Mull, Jim, or whether it is a specific bye law. Hopefully a similar (or larger) amount though :)
but apart from the possible fine... do you think it is ok to park overnight with a motorhome where it is banned just because you may get away with it... or the fine is paltry?
I'm sure no Funsters come into the categories of FLTs who would think it OK :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back