Rally Chat Proposed whisky meet, May 7th 2016 (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Following on from @TheWM 's mouthwatering whisky tasting posts, we are proposing a whisky tasting meet on the weekend of the 7th May, 2016 at site or field in or near Essex that will allow open fires. We may have to extend the search but Essex is our first choice as a venue.

We are looking for an idea of numbers so that we can look for places to meet - feel free to post below if you are interested or have suggestions on venues.

Children will be included in the weekend so there could be a visit to local child-friendly places on Saturday daytime.

Site facilities and restrictions are unknown; they will be published when we find somewhere to stay as will the pitch fees etc.

Everyone is welcome.

Participation in the tastings is optional but I would anticipate that everyone who joins the tastings will bring a bottle of spirit to share. The focus will be whisky / whiskey / bourbon but brandies, gins and vodkas could be included. At a later date, we could share the names of the spirits we are planning to bring to avoid too much duplication.

The aim is for a chilled time with good company, good drinks and a camp fire.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Thanks @Mattyjwr this is a great idea and I know some have previously expressed an interest so I'll tag them in now @DanielFord @Ambilkate @Electraglide @Bill_OR @ROB1CHELSEA1 just in case they may have not seen this. There are others too who I know may be interested, so I may give them a gentle nudge in the next few weeks.

I think Matty has summed it up perfectly, this is just really an impromptu meet to get together and share a dram or two (ideally) around a fire. Personally, I couldn't think of anything more I'd rather do :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm interested but the dates might clash with a family do......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We (I mean I) would be interested in this, sounds like a great idea,

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
:crying: Pfft ...........what happened to the Peak District too cold for you southerners ? or don't we have the ideal water for adding to the dram :beerchug:

I love the Peaks but we are struggling to find a weekend where we can both get there in a sensible time - @TheWM has a longer journey and it could be 4 hours for him to get to the White Peaks and we don't have any bank holiday weekends when we are both free. Let's see where we end up with possible venues.

As for your water, it is a dam site nicer than wot we soverners 'ave.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks @Mattyjwr this is a great idea and I know some have previously expressed an interest so I'll tag them in now @DanielFord @Ambilkate @Electraglide @Bill_OR @ROB1CHELSEA1 just in case they may have not seen this. There are others too who I know may be interested, so I may give them a gentle nudge in the next few weeks.

I think Matty has summed it up perfectly, this is just really an impromptu meet to get together and share a dram or two (ideally) around a fire. Personally, I couldn't think of anything more I'd rather do :)
Thanks for the tag, I had been peeking in here just to get an idea.
This may play out quite nicely, it's the wifes 21st birthday again, you know, the one that isn't 30!!! :D Need a firm date and venue though.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
:crying: Pfft ...........what happened to the Peak District too cold for you southerners ? or don't we have the ideal water for adding to the dram :beerchug:

Listen, I'm off to Scotland next week - I've got my string vest at the ready :LOL: but, unless it is during school holidays then it would have to be closer to home.

Need a site that doesn't mind open fires...... Looks like it might be fun, but watch out for Cruiser decanting Tesco value scotch into a malt bottle.....

(Or was that me when we have visitors?? :sneaky:)

How I laughed. My Dad did (in fact he still does) decant JW Red Label into a posher bottle for guests :whistle: What's worse, I model myself on my dad (so SWMBO says!!!)

Thanks for the tag, I had been peeking in here just to get an idea.
This may play out quite nicely, it's the wifes 21st birthday again, you know, the one that isn't 30!!! :D Need a firm date and venue though.

:D Let me guess, she does a birthday week too (or is it a fortnight, I lose track...!)

Clewsy

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin
Exp
since June 2014
We are keen but not sure yet if the dates will work.
We always enjoy whisky tasting so this sounds like the basis for a good meet.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
MMM, 7th May 2016 is my 65th Birthday so I had better check if we are already doing something but i have not been told

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
May have a family commitment around those dates so will have to wait to see if dates coincide or not fingers crossed for not as Bill is always in about his malts :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Following on from @TheWM 's mouthwatering whisky tasting posts, we are proposing a whisky tasting meet on the weekend of the 7th May, 2016 at site or field in or near Essex that will allow open fires. We may have to extend the search but Essex is our first choice as a venue.

We are looking for an idea of numbers so that we can look for places to meet - feel free to post below if you are interested or have suggestions on venues.

Children will be included in the weekend so there could be a visit to local child-friendly places on Saturday daytime.

Site facilities and restrictions are unknown; they will be published when we find somewhere to stay as will the pitch fees etc.

Everyone is welcome.

Participation in the tastings is optional but I would anticipate that everyone who joins the tastings will bring a bottle of spirit to share. The focus will be whisky / whiskey / bourbon but brandies, gins and vodkas could be included. At a later date, we could share the names of the spirits we are planning to bring to avoid too much duplication.

The aim is for a chilled time with good company, good drinks and a camp fire.
What about Rum?

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
What about Rum?

Robert. Rum is more than welcome, I'm currently supping on a RL Seale's 10 year old, and will soon follow it with a Doorly's 12 :) ;) In fact I may also push the boat out and have an English Harbour 10 seeing as it's been a long day..!

Would love to have a few other spirits on board. I know a lot less about Rum than whisky, but I'm a quick learner and have an expanding collection.

If anyone fancies bringing something else to the party, I'm all ears, especially as the flavour profiles of some rums are equal to decent whiskies.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
That's lucky, in addition to some nice bottles of Whiskey, we also have some interesting rum tucked away in the secret liquor cabinet in the van :D

Oooh - do tell!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Oooh - do tell!
Well, for the life of me I can't remember what brand it is, but when we were on the Santander ferry one year, there was a rum tasting in the shop. Which we felt duty bound to attend. They had this stuff, black rum, and it is superb, it has a real deep molasses taste to it, and is very smooth. Obviously we bought a bottle (or three). Also, just before my father died, my parents went on a holiday to St. Lucia, they returned with a few bottles of rum. When Dad died, my mother said she didn't want them in the house, could I get rid of them. I dutifully obliged :D I think one is a 20 year golden rum, it is very tasty whatever! :D

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Sounds great. If it is the Chairman's Reserve (from St Lucia) and the black rum, some kind of navy rum, I'm intrigued and need to know (taste) some to be sure..!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sounds great. If it is the Chairman's Reserve (from St Lucia) and the black rum, some kind of navy rum, I'm intrigued and need to know (taste) some to be sure..!
I will crack open the rum to all who wish to sample it, after all, my mum did say get rid of it, I can't think of a better way of doing this! :D
By the way, for the ladies, I make a mean Mojito, the golden rum is superb for this (sorry chaps :D )

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
oh yes . now you are welcome to a glass of scotch any time. But now I know you have some. I will come calling. Thanks @DanielFord. hope to you again soon.(y):devil:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
oh yes . now you are welcome to a glass of scotch any time. But now I know you have some. I will come calling. Thanks @DanielFord. hope to you again soon.(y):devil:
Ah ha! We have a guard dog now, you'll have to get past the peril of being slobbered on by a Bernese Mountain Dog. Some might argue that it is worth the risk! :D
OT is the Newbury show happening again next year does anyone know, we had a great time this year, would like to do it again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back