Exhaust problems (1 Viewer)

Feb 28, 2015
Rothwell Northants
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Since 2014
I have a 2001McLouis motorhome with a Fiat 2.8jtd engine. Last year 3 of the rubber rings holding the silencer split, and had to be replaced.
Now we find that 2 of the new rings have split and 1 has fallen off. A mechanic said this could be caused by worn gearbox mountings.
Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and whether they found a cure?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am pretty much with your mechanic to be honest.. Though I would have said gearbox and engine mounts.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's worth checking all three engine mounts but the one that suffers most is just behind the diff. It prevents the engine/gearbox from rotating and has a hard life. Often the other two (top left & right under the bonnet) are in good order.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
An easy way to spot worn engine mounts is drive along at a steady speed and watch for the gearshift to jump when you take your foot on and off the throttle. Do it in fourth gear if little or no movement the engine mounts are not suspect. If you do it in top gear there will always be some movement , fifth gear sits outside the main gearbox and it always rocks a bit between foot on/off even when new.

HTH

Augusta08

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
This is/was a common problem with the rubber exhaust suspension rings. They were reinforced with a circle of some sort of plastic should the rubber break as ours did, three years ago. I check them before every trip and have replaced one more this year. It was nothing to do with engine or gearbox mounts, just degradation of the rubber. Not saying your mechanic is wrong, but I would get a second opinion before you agree a potentially expensive repair which may not be required. The rubber exhaust mounts are cheap too.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's worth checking all three engine mounts but the one that suffers most is just behind the diff. It prevents the engine/gearbox from rotating and has a hard life. Often the other two (top left & right under the bonnet) are in good order.
gearbox one normally bangs if it goes completely.

OP
OP
John de Manche
Feb 28, 2015
Rothwell Northants
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Since 2014
They came from a Norauto shop in Spain. We have a Fiat main dealer near us. I will get some from there.
Thank you for your reply

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Mine went when the MH was not that old, I replaced them with some heavy duty ones from Ebay, and put a large plastic tie wrap around them as well. no problems since then.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
They came from a Norauto shop in Spain. We have a Fiat main dealer near us. I will get some from there.
Thank you for your reply
If you want I can price you some Bosal ones.

OP
OP
John de Manche
Feb 28, 2015
Rothwell Northants
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Since 2014
Managed to get the motorhome over a pit yesterday. All the remaining rings were perished, so now all 6 have been replaced. The rear engine mounting was worn, so have ordered a new one. I will get this fitted before our trip to Spain and Portugal in February.
Thanks again for all your replies

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you get chance collect some of the red-coloured exhaust hangers that Ford and others use on the hotter parts of the exhaust. They're a different rubber compound to the usual black ones (probably silicon) and do not perish. Ever.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back