Sleep Tight security system (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
May be of interest, has anyone got one or heard anything about it ?

Certainly looks good ...

The Sleeptight is a 16-channel ultrasonic sensor/alarm unit, 2 alarm levels locally (lights or buzzers etc), 1 remote RF alarm level. Adjustable sensing distance from 3 inches to 100 inches approx. Arming and disarming by RF key fob which has come about using extensive research and the latest technology from the UK and Switzerland.

SleepTight

Edit

I've emailed for a price.. and if available for DIY fitting

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looks good to me.....

and i like the 'silent' warning before the full blown alarm warning.
useful for animals at night and kids playing during the early morning hours without being woken every five mins.

the only drawback i can see is it will detect chairs/tables etc left outside unless its turned down or stuff moved 'out of range' from the sensors.
and the sensors will need careful positioning so as not to detect the ground.
but otherwise it looks good.:thumb:

now, why is there no price shown?:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
May be of interest, has anyone got one or heard anything about it ?
Certainly looks good ...
Edit

So what about animals ?

Ultrasonics is not the best technology outside where wind affects them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So what about animals ?

Ultrasonics is not the best technology outside where wind affects them.

that was my point Brian,

unless its a fox lickin' yer BBQ or a couple of amorous rabbits most things are passin' through and will only trigger the lights, which should scare 'em off, and not the bells 'n' whistles which take a while longer to trigger.:thumb:

i do agree that infra-red would have been a better choice but then its not proximity variable like ultrasonic.
look at u/s reversing sensors...the closer you get, the faster it bleeps/flashes.
infra-red's either on or off, security light style.:Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It does seem a good idea for the wildcamper and if a van I bought had it fitted I would not remove it. But I think I will let a few people Beta test it before I bought one. . How good are the sensors after a year or so on the road, that would be a worry. False alarms are my only concern as they would be an absolute pain; then you would not bother to set it and might as well have not bothered buying it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How good are the sensors after a year or so on the road.

good point Jim,

the reverse sensors on my hilux do have a mind of their own from time to time.

bloody annoying when you get out to double check and theres nowt there.:Angry:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Replies from Sleep Tight

I emailed Sleep Tight with the concerns expressed.. this is their reply ..

Hi James,

Thankyou for all the feed back and information. I will try and answer it all as best as I can.

The reason for the silent alarm first is a main feature of the alarm. Like you said, it allows people to walk past, animals to go by, without waking you up every five minutes, but more importantly it warns potential thieves that the vehicle is alarmed and that they have been detected. This will deter the oppertunist and you will never even know that he has been outside, (instead of having to replace a broken door or window).

The sensors do need to be positioned correctly, and is important. However if we fit it, we will take the worry out of your hands. If you decide to fit the system and you tell us which van you have, we can recommend where to place them. You only need to ring and we will give any advice needed.
I do understand the problem with chairs and tables outside, however im sure if safety is as important to you as it is to me, putting a table and chairs away of a night is not a big problem.

As for the sensors breaking after a year or so. We guarentee the system for as long as you own the vehicle. Therfore if they did incur a problem, you could just ring us, we would arrange to meet you, and we would change them. Giving you total peace of mind about the system.

As for the price not being on the web page. We are still a new company. We are still in negotiations with our suppliers, and through number of sales are still trying to find the best price possible. We have a set price now, however, if we received a thousand orders tommorow our price would come down. Just the same as any new technology when it first enters the market.

We have three prices....

16 sensors and 8 lights £699
12 sensors and 6 lights £599
8 sensors and 4 lights £499

These prices are for the kit and come with full DIY instructions.

If you would like us to fit the system, you can either come to us, we are based in Liverpool or we can come to your home and fit it there. We have tried to make the system as DIY freindly as we can, but if that is not an option, as easy as possible for you to have it fitted. We have even in the past fitted the system for our customers in campsites whilst they have been on holiday.
We are trying to make it as easy and be as helpful as we can

I hope I have answered everthing that you asked, and I hope to hear from you again soon

Anthony Mullis
Managing Director
Welcome to SleepTight Security Systems - Home :: SLEEPTIGHT LTD
0151-2204201

Edit
I replied and asked what the fitting charges were..

£100 if you visit them and £200 if they come to you, fitting time 5-6 hrs.

Last edited:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Jim, I can only presume as they DON'T mention it in either their original information or the additional stuff they sent you that this system ISN'T Thatcham Approved :Eeek: quite an important detail to leave out if it is?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, I can only presume as they DON'T mention it in either their original information or the additional stuff they sent you that this system ISN'T Thatcham Approved :Eeek: quite an important detail to leave out if it is?

Hi Mick

It's not meant to replace or be fitted instead of a conventional vehicle alarm/mobiliser system so I don't think it will be Thatchem approved..

We had a bike stolen from the back of our RV while asleep.. if this alarm had been fitted we may have have been alerted before the prowler got to work on the lock..

Having an alarmed perimeter would give me more peaceful nights instead of worrying who is prowling about .. :Sad:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The sleep tight system does seem well made and the guys that sell it seem to be personable.

For those that can't afford the prices a couple of other points to consider.

Ring make 12 volt automatic awning lights that will turn on and off automatically when movement is detected, which can be fitted either side and can be turned on from the inside as well, so useful as well as a deterrent

Or for a cheaper warn away system a ultrasonic reversing system with the sensors fitted down either side instead of the back of the camper (don't forget that they are designed to be waterproof, flush mounted, small, discreet and where necessary can be painted. The buzzer inside could be switched or linked up to 12 volt external decking lights available from B&Q or Homebase (this way you get 12 volt LED's set in small stainless steel flush mounts in a variety of colours the most common being blue.

Just a thought!

Personally I don't like anything that draws attention to my vehicles as it tends to attract kids and drunks, neither of whom get embarrassed and enjoy a laugh!

Eddie

Last edited:
A

anthony1

Deleted User
Hi, reversing sensors can be used but just to add to the last comments. You can not adjust the distance of reversing sensors so if you are parked next to something, you would not be able to adjust the distance of the sensors therefore making them useless. Also with reversing kits you can only have a maximum of 4 sensors. Which would not cover many motorhomes.
Just a little something extra for you to think about:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

When at the Aire in Le Touqouet (Marina) the big Dutch guy parked next to us in his Tag Hymer, almost wild camped wherever they went. He fitted reversing sensors to the side skirts, underneath all the windows, and had them linked into an internal warning led and buzzer. He was very pleased with it's performance, although he didn't mention any external warning to ward off the potential tea leaf.

Jock.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi, reversing sensors can be used but just to add to the last comments. You can not adjust the distance of reversing sensors so if you are parked next to something, you would not be able to adjust the distance of the sensors therefore making them useless. Also with reversing kits you can only have a maximum of 4 sensors. Which would not cover many motorhomes.
Just a little something extra for you to think about:thumb:

Link Removed

Ahem:winky:

Autoranging, eight sensors (designed four front four rear, so four each side) £119.00 Including VAT

A cheaper alternative if you want this type of attention.

I would ask the question though, where would you use them?

On a campsite you'd get shot and wildcamping in a public place everyone else has a right to walk around, even if they do walk past within a metre of your van? a pavement perhaps, or if wilder, a multitude of animals? Up and down like a Yo Yo I would suspect!

Eddie

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would ask the question though, where would you use them?

On a campsite you'd get shot and wildcamping in a public place everyone else has a right to walk around, even if they do walk past within a metre of your van? a pavement perhaps, or if wilder, a multitude of animals? Up and down like a Yo Yo I would suspect!

Eddie

Hi Eddie

Clearly not needed or much use on a camp site, but I think very useful for wild campers or when parked on an aire .. the sensitivity can be adjusted from 3" to 100" and warning lights flash before the alarm goes off .. there is also a wireless buzzer, useful for those with vans parked on driveway ..

It's definitely a product I would consider fitting but must concede the price is way too high .. so a DIY approach may be worth considering ..

Is it perhaps something you could look at incorporating into an existing strike back system ?

At the end of the day no alarm system is foolproof or perfect .. all we can hope to do is try to stay one step ahead of the scrotes.. another weapon in our armoury.

Jim

A

anthony1

Deleted User
Hi Eddie, you can get packs of eight but only four work at a time. They are so you can put four on the front and four on the back, but when one set of four come on the other four dont work, ahem:winky:
I have to admit aswel, i believe any system that helps protect us whilst we are away is something to be embraced. Be a strikeback, van bitz, or sleeptight. Lets not forget, these alarms are there to help protect people, not for people to rip apart in forums :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Lets not forget, these alarms are there to help protect people, not for people to rip apart in forums :Smile:

At what point does a discussion on practicality become "rip apart" ? Seems a very tame discussion for an open forum.

Let's not forget that we are talking scarecrows here, a flashing light, a beep, "BOO". Do NOT been drawn into a false sense of security that get get you hurt.

So there you are wild camping, the scarecrow goes "BOO". What do you do ? Watch the villain pi$$ing himself laughing and hope you can drive off before he recovers ? That jsut might work if you park with a quick exit in mind, which you should, but what if he's blocked your exit ?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Eddie, you can get packs of eight but only four work at a time. They are so you can put four on the front and four on the back, but when one set of four come on the other four dont work, ahem:winky:
I have to admit aswel, i believe any system that helps protect us whilst we are away is something to be embraced. Be a strikeback, van bitz, or sleeptight. Lets not forget, these alarms are there to help protect people, not for people to rip apart in forums :Smile:

Hi Anthony I am not ripping anything apart? I was not even discussing Sleeptight or Strikeback.

The twin system that I posted a third party link was an example, I can list any number of autoranging 4 sensor systems that retail at under £50 so one for each side would be easy and cheap!

I noticed that you joined a few days ago, are you connected with Sleeptight then? In which case you'll accept that I have made a distinction between your product and an idea that has been around for years to use ultrasonisc sensors, either with or with LED's to warn away.

Hi Jim no, Thatcham exclude any warn away devices, anyone can contact Thatcham for their opinion on the effectiveness and value for money warn away systems provide. We wouldn't consider connecting any warn away device to Strikeback.

You said that they would be usefull on an Aire, but would you want to be woken up everytime some one innocently arrives during the night and streches their legs, or spends a penny? And trust me get a car load of revellers or teenagers that realise everytime they walk past your van some thing exciting happens, you draw the wrong type of attention!

Shaving foam stops them being a problem to a theif anyway:Eeek:

Eddie

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Motto on Xbox: "Don't get mad, get even!"

Whats wrong with the good old South African napalm sprayer? A couple of stainless tubes down each side of the van, with spray holes and an electric ignition source, JOBS A GOOD UN. They wont hang around to laugh at you then!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Good for traffic nazi's too.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Whats wrong with the good old South African napalm sprayer? A couple of stainless tubes down each side of the van, with spray holes and an electric ignition source, JOBS A GOOD UN. They wont hang around to laugh at you then!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LOL Now that we would incorporate in to Strikeback!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Is there any chance of you nocking up a drawing on that proposal :roflmto:

Jim
:thumb:

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Mick

It's not meant to replace or be fitted instead of a conventional vehicle alarm/mobiliser system so I don't think it will be Thatchem approved..

We had a bike stolen from the back of our RV while asleep.. if this alarm had been fitted we may have have been alerted before the prowler got to work on the lock..

Having an alarmed perimeter would give me more peaceful nights instead of worrying who is prowling about .. :Sad:

Hi Jim your Thatham alarm should have a accessery loop which you can fit a wire though the bikes and the alarm sounds if the cable is cut Paul

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Everything has some truth in its roots......

Is there any chance of you nocking up a drawing on that proposal :roflmto:

Jim
:thumb:

CNN - Flamethrower now an option on S. African cars - December 11, 1998

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (CNN) -- Crime-obsessed South Africans have a powerful new weapon with which to stop likely criminals: the car flamethrower.
Casting a man-high fireball, reportedly with no damage to the paint, the Blaster has been placed on 25 South African vehicles since its introduction last month.
At 3,900 rand ($655), it offers a cheap, dramatic defense against carjackers. It has yet to be deemed illegal.
South African courts allow killing if convinced that it's in self-defense. The defense is not unheard of. In last year's 13,000 carjackings, criminals often brandished weapons or used them with little provocation.
The Blaster squirts liquefied gas from a bottle in the automobile's trunk through two nozzles, located under the front doors. The gas is then ignited by an electric spark, with fiery consequences.
Both sides flame at the same time, regardless of whether the attack is coming from just one side of the vehicle, or whether passersby are on the other side. But the breadth and depth of blast can be modified according to individual preference.
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fire blinds, not kills, maker assures[/FONT]

Blaster inventor Charl Fourie, 33, disputed concerns that the flamethrower could burn someone to death.
"My personal feeling is that it would definitely blind a person. He will never see again," he said
Firefighters, medical personnel and the police agree 100 percent "that it will never kill a person," Fourie asserted. "This is definitely non-lethal.... A person is not going to stand there for a minute while you roast him. It will fend off the attacker, and that's the end of it."
Fourie has filed an international patent application. He anticipates thousands of orders nationally and from abroad. "The demand is huge," he said.
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]First customer a Johannesburg police official[/FONT]

The first buyer, Police Superintendent David Walkley of Johannesburg's crime intelligence unit, is satisfied the Blaster is legal, provided it is used correctly.
"It depends entirely on the circumstances and whether you can justify self-defense," he said.
"Yes, there are certain risks in using it, but there are also risks in not having anything at all."

Will that do for you?

Last edited:

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
sleeptight

Had the sleeptight system fitted today. Very professional and friendly team. Even took us into town for the day while they did the job.

Surely anything that makes our family safer is a good thing. As for the shaving foam, well by the time anyone gets so near it will trigger the alarm anyway. Seems to me that the people who seem most against this product are the ones trying to sell us another system. And by the way I have also a Toad alarm on our van. Just sounded a good idea to have another deterant as the world gets more crime ridden.

Sooty10

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back