Is it illegal to alter your satnav while driving (1 Viewer)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just a thought, while going to work this morning I needed to change address and did so on the sat nav, is this illegal to do whilst driving, interesting to know for future reference. Thks

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I understand that's it's illegal to do anything that might distract you from driving, entering data into your satnav is much the same as texting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Some sat navs you have to accept the disclaimer that states in some places it is illegal. Don't think it is here but if you had an accident, or even wondered across the road, the coppers can say driving without due care and attention. Just pull over, probably best for the sat nav to pick up a new destination whilst stationary anyhow.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Not specifically an offence but Rule 150 of the Highway Code gives advice regarding use of in car electronic devices and possible distractions.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-hig...-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

Proving non compliance with any section of the Highway Code goes a long way to evidencing an offence of driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving (as far as the courts are concerned).

If you have a crash causing serious injury or death then the powers that be will look VERY closely at any electronic devices in your vehicle.

Failure to follow the advice of the Highway Code may provide evidence in support of an offence. If a death is involved, prison may follow.

To re-cap, not specifically an offence but it's good advice to follow the Highway Code's advice.

Mike.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You could be charged if caught falling to be in charge of a motor vehicle just like mobile phone but every one just ignores those laws so I would not worry to much
bill

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's not illegal but if you cause an accident that is put down to you doing anything other than concentrating on driving, ie, changing a CD, playing with the radio, eating, drinking, smoking, swatting anoying backseat children, putting on make up then you are in the doo doo.

You can also be done for dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention even if no accident is caused.

And exception was made to make holding a mobile phone an offence in itself whether an accident is caused or not.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Mostly good advice above but there is an offence, which not specific, is or can be used as a 'catch all' and that is:
'Failure to have proper control of vehicle or full view of the road and traffic ahead, or using a hand-held mobile phone while driving (CU80)'
Section 41D Road Traffic act 1988.
Whilst this IS primarily used for drivers using mobile phones etc, whilst driving, it can also be applied to any situation where you remove a hand from the steering wheel, except to change gear or operate a control system in the vehicle (window, de-mister, etc) provided that your control of the vehicle is not affected.
IF you are having a fag, eating/drinking, operating the radio/CD, twiddling the satnav or doing anything where your attention and actions detract from your 'proper control' of the vehicle then you can, depending on the individual circumstances at the time i.e danger caused, be summonsed or given an FPN (E) for this offence.

It is often solely dependant on the interpretation of what has occurred, by the officer involved, as to whether this section is applied instead of a more serious or defined offence.

Either way you stand to go through a period of angst whilst you await a court appearance, or the FPN is processed and your driving licence returned with the requisite points attached plus you have to pay the fine and then ASAP inform your insurance company that you have been prosecuted, with the associated rise in premium for the next 5 years.

Hope this helps.
Safe driving
Best regards
Nik.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
As I thought, not advisable for reason given but wasn't sure if it was an offence , and very rarely do I do it and probably the first time that's what made me think about it, however having thought about it what if you were using your mobile as a sat nav which is certainly an offence but how different is this from a sat nav
As I said only ever done it a couple of times but a bit like going over 70, which I occasional do, no ones perfect

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could be charged if caught falling to be in charge of a motor vehicle just like mobile phone but every one just ignores those laws so I would not worry to much
bill
Er, no not ALL of us ignore them! I do NOT use my mobile at all in the car if I'm driving, and neither does hubby. If we are on our own and can't stop to answer we just ignore it until we can or ring the person back assuming its registered their number ... NO phone call is important enough to risk killing or injuring someone, you or someone else! About time smoking was banned whilst driving ....

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Er, no not ALL of us ignore them! I do NOT use my mobile at all in the car if I'm driving, and neither does hubby. If we are on our own and can't stop to answer we just ignore it until we can or ring the person back assuming its registered their number ... NO phone call is important enough to risk killing or injuring someone, you or someone else! About time smoking was banned whilst driving ....
high way coad rule 148 Rule 148: Safe driving and riding needs concentration

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Got to shut that bitch up somehow, just do not have an accident, concentrate on driving.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
The tom tom I use in my car won't allow you to use it when the vehicle is moving (even if I'm a passenger ) which I personally think is a good idea....if a driver is altering a sat nav they are not concentrating on their driving

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Rule 148
Safe driving and riding needs concentration. Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as

• loud music (this may mask other sounds)
  • trying to read maps
  • inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio
  • arguing with your passengers or other road users
  • eating and drinking
  • smoking
You MUST NOT smoke in public transport vehicles or in vehicles used for work purposes in certain prescribed circumstances. Separate regulations apply to England, Wales and Scotland.
Laws TSf(EV) regs 2007, TSfP(W) regs 2007 & TPSCP(S) regs 2006
http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/148

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Got to shut that bitch up somehow, just do not have an accident, concentrate on driving.
You do know you can change the voice don't you? I prefer the Irish lady, must more pleasant than the snooty English one! There are male as well as female ones, or you can get one of the numerous 'celebrity' ones ... wouldn't recommend Han Solo and Chewbakka though as Chewy making a noise can't half make you jump!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Rule 148
Safe driving and riding needs concentration. Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as

• loud music (this may mask other sounds)
  • trying to read maps
  • inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio
  • arguing with your passengers or other road users
  • eating and drinking
  • smoking
You MUST NOT smoke in public transport vehicles or in vehicles used for work purposes in certain prescribed circumstances. Separate regulations apply to England, Wales and Scotland.
Laws TSf(EV) regs 2007, TSfP(W) regs 2007 & TPSCP(S) regs 2006
http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/148
I know about that but its not actually banned ... hence the 'Eh?' comment. Mind you, if they could I'm sure they'd ban us from even sneezing!

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Re Sat Nav voices, I experimented with a few;
Andy Murray - not good, fell asleep at wheel;
Margaret Thatcher - not good, couldn't help turning the exact opposite way;
Adele - not good, threw unit out window;
Mrs Candapack - not good, didn't realise voice not coming from unit, called her some unfortunate names.
Now find it better with no voice at all. Mrs C hasn't quite got the hang of that yet. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back