Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
My pride and joy has failed its test today :Sad::cry:and I am confused by one of the fail items. The exhaust ends under the motorhome - there is no tailpipe sticking out of the side. The fact that this is listed as a fail item confuses me for two reasons. First, the exhaust itself is sound with no leaks - the only problem with it could be that the underside of the vehicle is getting dirtier than it should. Second, the tailpipe fell off almost two years ago, and the MOT was passed with flying colours at the same garage last year:Doh:

I can't speak to the tester until tomorrow afternoon but I thought I would see if anyone knew what the legal position actually is. Does the absence of a tailpipe mean a failure? If it doesn't, can I argue the point with the tester or am I best taking it somewhere else for a second opinion?

Phil

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the only problem with it could be that the underside of the vehicle is getting dirtier than it should. Second, the tailpipe fell off almost two years ago,
Phil

I would think thast the HUGE risk is that when stopped at lights etc exhaust fumes could be seeping into the vehicle.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi. our resident MOT man Geo is on a rally , but I have searched and according to the information it is a FAIL .. on the grounds that a part of the system is missing ..

Link Removed

Fit a new tail pipe and don't risk gassing yourself ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Confusing because that's how my Mercedes Sprinter Panel Van came from the factory as far as I'm aware = we've had it from new.

:Sad:
Keith

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Exhaust

Several years ago I had a similar failure on a Austin Maxi where the tailpipe had been cut and a chrome bit added. I lost it and it failed because the exhaust did not equate to, or extend beyond the body. I guess it is the same situation as yours where the fumes could go into the vehicle from underneath.
Graham

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
So as I'm reading it: provided the exhaust is intact and untampered with have I missed the bit where it says it has to extend beyond the vehicle.

:Smile:
Keith

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
dosent have to extend beyond the body, or my iveco would have failed it's last 7 mots, there is an option to have an extension pipe added, but i never felt the need for it, i dont have any vents in the floor for fumes to come in, and if they did, it's diesel so not gonna gas you like petrol fumes can,

makes it a bugger to do the smoke test tho, due to my motorhomes body being lower than most, the tester apparatus wont fit under the body, so it has to be put down the pit before we drive back over after the brake test.

i can only imagine the OP's failed as it's supposed to exit the body, is there clear evidence that it did?? like a rusty jagged bit where the pipe broke off or something?

on my exhaust there's a short stub on the end of the silencer box, so it's not just a box with no pipe at all on it, so is easy to see it's supposed to be like that.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, just like gazznsam a friend has his iveco in my yard n its exhaust is along way under the van. its still the original.i would kick up. ask to see the reason for faiure on the computer screen .or visit the local truck testing station n make a complaint.

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Buy a tailpiece crawl under neath and fit it with the end either pointing down or to the offside of vehicle

Voila

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi ,part of the exhaust system missing is most deffinately a reason for rejection ie (fail) no amount of second opinions will alter that.if you dissagree with the testers desision your only option is to get a form vt17 pay another £54 test fee,and get another test done by vosa ,but it will fail again ,you would be far better spending the money on a bit of pipe and sending it out the side of the motor. hope this is of some help, (by the wayi am an mot tester myself).steve.:thumb:

OP
OP
philw111

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all the replies. As I say, the bit that most confuses me is the fact that it passed last year in the same condition - is this down to individual tester judgement?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks for all the replies. As I say, the bit that most confuses me is the fact that it passed last year in the same condition - is this down to individual tester judgement?

Hi Phil although rules are set it does come down to individual tester judgement.Think yourself lucky last year :thumb::ROFLMAO:Just the same as some will give advisories and some will fail.Could it be that it failed on a few other things so he added it to the list ? to save you getting another fail in case somebody else did the retest.
terry

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have always felt a bit uneasy about the exhaust not coming out of the back of the vehicle, its one thing to have it out the side when the vehicle is still in its commercial form but MH's have all kinds of vents under the floor and if the conditions are right cold come into the accommodation when driving.

Doug...

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Hi, Think you are right about down to testers opinion, as we had a pass
last year, with a short pipe, this year same pipe but a failed test. Had a
small extension put on at time of re-test problem sorted.
With hind site could the heat and fumes (toxins) from exhaust when stood
still be detrementel to the integrety of the tyres,
(thats the 2 biggest words i know LOL) ???. :yeah:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi ,part of the exhaust system missing is most deffinately a reason for rejection ie (fail) no amount of second opinions will alter that.if you dissagree with the testers desision your only option is to get a form vt17 pay another £54 test fee,and get another test done by vosa ,but it will fail again ,you would be far better spending the money on a bit of pipe and sending it out the side of the motor. hope this is of some help, (by the wayi am an mot tester myself).steve.:thumb:

:Eeek::Eeek: Oh, how lucky i am to get mine at trade rates::bigsmile::winky:
30 odd quid this time:RollEyes:

i remember when ROAD TAX was less than half that and the MOT was around £7

god, im getting old.:cry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
philw111

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Finally got it back, with a PASS:Smile:, and the MOT was £50. I didn't get the chance to speak to the tester as he had gone before I picked up but they had put a new tail piece on and didn't charge me for the part - possibly an oversight but do I care. They charged me enough for the other bits that needed doing.

S

s700hymmerc

Deleted User
the reason for test ,

well i think now i might tell you , :cry:
it was my job to make sure test is accurate you should have failed 2 years ago if you had come in to my garage for a test i would have failed you their and then , the law states you must have a full exhaust sytem down to the tail , exhaust fumes are passed out of the side of the vehicle . notice why the exhaust come,s out driver side , in to the centre of traffic just like left hand drive vehicles have theirs also on drivers side , in to the traffic if you were in the town maybe one hot sunny day , and the traffic is just stopped , because your right hand drive vehicle will put fumes in to the centre of the road and not gas the shoppers to death , and it would leak into the vehicle, you are not a submarine all sealed in :Doh: , also if you ran some one over the unfinnished exhaust would cause damage lol!! would be damage to any body if they went under your camper but it would minimise damage caused , also a complete exhaust is good for your engine as half is bad can put your engine out of tune making mixture rich. ect,ect,
and my m.o.t. costs me £25.00. lol!!
hows that,
lol!!!!!!!!!, take care mate , denton.:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread