LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I have more or less decided on this plus antenna for our upcoming 2 months in Spain/Portugal

I believe that buying local pay as you go SIM's is the best way to use for WIFI (just email, web browsing etc. - no downloading of large files)

Any recommendations on which SIM to buy?

HUAWEI E5330 3G (Genuine UK Stock) SIM Free Mobile WiFi UK - White (21MB/s)
by Huawei
233 custom
#1 Best Seller in Mobile Internet Devices
RRP: £49.99
Price: £29.97 Delivery at no additional cost for Prime Members
You Save: £20.02 (40%)
In stock

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
???? That's an old MIFI ...

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
A huge saving. A save is a save. A most up to date one will soon be "old". 4g is good, but do they have that sort of coverage in Portugal anyway? Which site was this?

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years

This summer in Spain we used Lebara on a 30 Day packages, worked fine. They had the following available:

1GB: €8
2GB: €14
3GB: €25

Bought the SIM from a local computer shop, who set it up in the MIFI for us

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
True, but as these are only 21mps max, there are some deals where you can get a better 4G MIFI 40mps max, for a similar price, I'd go for the 4G and 'future proof' myself a bit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.MinxyGirl
Being an,"Old Fart" LOVE "Future proof" LOL keep 'em coming,i can impress the g'kids (20 and 25.....)
Tea Bag

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have more or less decided on this plus antenna for our upcoming 2 months in Spain/Portugal

I believe that buying local pay as you go SIM's is the best way to use for WIFI (just email, web browsing etc. - no downloading of large files)

HUAWEI E5330 3G (Genuine UK Stock) SIM Free Mobile WiFi UK - White (21MB/s)
by Huawei
233 custom
#1 Best Seller in Mobile Internet Devices
RRP: £49.99
Price: £29.97 Delivery at no additional cost for Prime Members
You Save: £20.02 (40%)
In stock
Just done all this, the HUAWEI E5330 does not have external antenna connection which you mentioned. I bought the 4g unlocked (as standard) version on PAYG from 3 which does have an antenna socket

http://store.three.co.uk/view/plan/MBBD29122014T113122

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

with a 1gb card which is OK for Spain on the feel at home tariff! According to the 3 shop you just need to register (and use up the data only if you want to) the 3 sim in the mifi in the UK or a feel at home country (Spain) then it is OK to use a local sim card or whatever.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just done all this, the HUAWEI E5330 does not have external antenna connection which you mentioned. I bought the 4g unlocked version on PAYG
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

from 3 with a 1gb card which is OK for Spain on the feel at home tariff!
That one isn't available at that price now, it's gone up to £39:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/content/basket

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Also forgot to mention 3 have black Friday event next friday, so might be worth waiting ????

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Just done all this, the HUAWEI E5330 does not have external antenna connection which you mentioned. I bought the 4g unlocked (as standard) version on PAYG from 3 which does have an antenna socket

http://store.three.co.uk/view/plan/MBBD29122014T113122

with a 1gb card which is OK for Spain on the feel at home tariff! According to the 3 shop you just need to register (and use up the data only if you want to) the 3 sim in the mifi in the UK or a feel at home country (Spain) then it is OK to use a local sim card or whatever.

OK - thank you @campacola - to get one compatible with an antenna I have revised my choice which now is

Huawei Unlocked E5330 Mobile Wifi- Bundled with 6 GB EE Sim Card - White

Price: £54.99 Delivery at no additional cost for Prime Members

In stock

Colour Name: White - 6GB Sim Card

It now has it's own 6Gig Sim!!! -- What is that all about? -- What about the national local sim cards? -- Do I now have to have a 3 contract? o_O

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
OK - thank you @campacola - to get one compatible with an antenna I have revised my choice which now is

In stock

It now has it's own 6Gig Sim!!! -- What is that all about? -- What about the national local sim cards? -- Do I now have to have a 3 contract? o_O

I think that model still does not have the sockets for the antenna?? if you buy an EE card unless they have a reciprocal arrangement in Europe you may or may not be able to use that card?

If you buy the E5537 on PAYG on 3 with 1 GB there is no contract, but I was told in the 3 shop to activate the E5537 you have to use the 3 sim card first to register the unit. Then its up to you if you use the data allowance or not, but the card only lasts 1 month once activated unless you top up. But you are free to use a local sim card once it is activated as its unlocked.
I am going to do it the way they told me in the shop. So will activate the card a couple of days before going to Spain.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Che

In stock

Check the cost of EE in Europe, from memory it is very expensive compared to say O2 (£1.99) per day on contract or of course Three which will be your cheapest bet for Spain by a mile.

And the e5330 has no external antenna connection.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Ok - time for a rethink - do I need an antenna?

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I am open to advice - any mifi recommendations ? :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have a e5330 and to date it works fine without an aerial.but I suppose it would be slightly more efficient if it had a port to try ,but I am happy as it is ..there are much more knowledgeable people on here who could advise you much better than me..but value for money its great. Roy

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Was there a story of someone putting the e5330 on a pole to get reception or on the roof ??? Easier just to buy a weatherproof £10 receiver off eBay and a mifi with a port.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Was there a story of someone putting the e5330 on a pole to get reception or on the roof ??? Easier just to buy a weatherproof £10 receiver off eBay and a mifi with a port.
Not sure as to why anyone would need to do that in this country,I used mine all last two years touring the length and breadth of Britain, from the lowlands to the South the Welsh marches and northern mountains and through the north Pennines a d Scottish borders using a 3 sim with no bother at all..but that's my experience ,and can't speak for use in Europe or other peoples experience.. Roy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not sure as to why anyone would need to do that in this country,I used mine all last two years touring the length and breadth of Britain, from the lowlands to the South the Welsh marches and northern mountains and through the north Pennines a d Scottish borders using a 3 sim with no bother at all..but that's my experience ,and can't speak for use in Europe or other peoples experience.. Roy
I believe it was when some funsters were at a rally/motorhome show which had very bad coverage as not in the 'thick' of the town but outskirts in the middle of a field, hence the need to hoist it up on a flag pole!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Being a really old fart i don't know what mi fi is,,,BUSBY

It's a little plastic box gadget that you put in a SIM ( as used in mobile phones ) and it becomes your personal WiFi hotspot so the name MiFi was coined.

Most tablets need a WiFi hotspot to get on line. These MiFi gadgets will connect at least 4 at once.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I regularly got no 3 signal phone nor data in areas outside Glasgow this year. But the story will be similar in Europe.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I regularly got no 3 signal phone nor data in areas outside Glasgow this year. But the story will be similar in Europe.
You won't be using 3 network abroad (France and Spain) as they piggyback other networks ie Orange in France, and I forget who in Spain. ;)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Ok - time for a rethink - do I need an antenna?
The amount of benefit you get from an external antenna will partly depend on the type of van you have. A steel box panel van blocks the signal more effectively than wood or plastic, so an antenna out on the roof makes more of a difference to PVC owners.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

I have an E5336 mifi which does not have an external antenna socket and on quite a few occassions in France have positioned it up in the main rooflight (inside) to obtain a signal (y)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Movistar in Spain IIRC. We're relying on paying the WiFi charges at the campsite and a booster:

VicTsing® WiFi Antenna Long Distance Booster Wireless up to 3000M Away Hot Spots USB

To ensure I don't have to wander round the campsite with my notebook, looking like a lost geek....

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I am in Spain at the moment,not tec minded??

I chose 3 as it operates in 28 countries but not Portugal, I have a monthly contract easy to cancel 30 days notice cost £20 per month,no extra cost for being abroad,never yet used my full data,I can also alter it high or low at any time max £40 per month.

I have had no problems getting connections ,I Skype ,download,plus use more than most people.
Although I will have problems when I reach Portugal,there are lots of places that do free WI fi,so cannot see it being a problem.

It's nice to sit in the Motorhome ,and have the comforts using it.
So for me personally,it's worth £20 a month.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back