Tunnel weight limit (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Been checking ferry prices and would like to go via tunnel now the question I have for you all is ...height of van 3m ok length 8.5m ok weight 4.5t not ok seems they take up to 18m but only 3.5 t has anyone got a 3.5 t 18 m van surely that's not possible so do I have to go on the ferry

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
as you see full size coaches on the same train I cannot see a problem!
we are 3.9 tonne and never had a problem,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We've never had a problem now booked with 4250kg plus 1700kg trailer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Are you looking at a van as opposed to a motorhome option?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think they call them camping car or something similar - weight isn't an issue

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
18 m is the normal max length of a standard articulated lorry 41 ton weight limit ( in Europe, 44 ton in GB). Confusion somewhere me thinks.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Make sure you book as a "campervan" - makes no difference what weight/length/height you are. We are also 4.5 tonne and 3.1 m high and always use the tunnel.

Denise

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In the dropdown box for vehicle type select "campervan". You will travel in the single deck carriages along with coaches and cars with roof boxes.

You're not the first by any means - it's not very clear on their webpage.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Slightly off topic but tunnel related. We have used the tunnel lots of times. My question relates to gas as we have 60 litre under slung tank. I have a series of knobs inside the van which shut off the gas to each appliance. To turn off the tank 'at source' is difficult to get at to say the least. Do people think turning off inside the van is sufficient or it should be turned off at source?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Do people think turning off inside the van is sufficient or it should be turned off at source?

It 'should' be turned off at source, but in all my trips never had anyone actually check that it was..

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
It 'should' be turned off at source, but in all my trips never had anyone actually check that it was..
That's interesting; I've had the gas bottles checked every single time I've travelled on the tunnel, which is well into double figures. I expect, if you explain, that turning off each individual appliance valve might be acceptable.

As to the OP, as everyone else says, if you make sure you book as a camper van there is nowhere to put weight on the booking form.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's interesting; I've had the gas bottles checked every single time I've travelled on the tunnel, which is well into double figures.

that's just my experience..

last trip was Aug this year, just asked.. then told to go.. you must have a guilty looking face...

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Only not had my gas checked once and that was because they were running late and had an overflow of vehicles, it was also a couple of day's before Christmas

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have seen a you tube video about a beginners guide to the tunnel. He arrives at the check in and someone makes him wait until they have checked his gas is off. Poster says that this is the first time he has been checked at the check in point as he always has been directed to a large pull in area. There was a que where he pointed this area to be though so it certainly looks like they should check everyone. If getting to the tanks is awkward use the checker man to turn them off. - while your there mate!!!

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So, I have always been asked and even had them come in the van to check the fridge is actually off and have said I have turned them all off and they have been happy. When we had a gas locker they always checked the cylinders but now the underslung tank has a protective cover which has to be undone and then turn off gas, replace cover and reverse at the other end. This involves getting under the van so have to admit, I have never bothered. The design has 4 separate taps located in a flap under the sink. Open the flat and turn each of four knobs (hob, oven, fridge and BBQ point) to off which I have done every time.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
My advise is turn it off before you enter the area ie home or camp site , when they ask tell them its off but show them where it is, if they want to get underneath that is up to them ;) I don't think they will bother. But they have asked us every time , they dont always check.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If it's such a hassle you could put another valve in line that's easy to turn off or you could (though heaven forbid I'm not suggesting you do;)) put a false one in. :whistle:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My advise is turn it off before you enter the area ie home or camp site , when they ask tell them its off but show them where it is, if they want to get underneath that is up to them ;) I don't think they will bother. But they have asked us every time , they dont always check.
Exactly what we dos and never had a problem - even shown them the taps under the sink

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Every time we used the service we are asked to show that the gas bottle is switched off. I open the gas locker door the chap or girl looks in and that's it............. It could be on for all they know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back