Breadmaking - I need a 'kneading' machine! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would love to make some bread, I used to do it when I was a tot with my Mum using an old victorian style washing bowl (the type that comes with a large water jug for daily ablutions) but unfortunately I can't do the kneading as it puts too much pressure on my hands/wrists and is bl**dy painful ... (n)

I'd still do the baking in the oven so just need something to knead! So should I look to get a breadmaker to just do the kneading or would I be better off with a food mixer with a dough attachment?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A mixer would come in for other baking jobs. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Another vote for Panasonic--- they keep going where other bread makers burn out. If you look online comparing baking costs it's cheaper to use a breadmaker rather than your oven. But if you've got an Aga that's heated already, you can't beat that!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd rather use an oven to do the actual baking as I can then decide on what type of bread I want - loaf, rolls, baps etc, can't do that if I bake it in a breadmaking machine, hence why I just need something for the kneading.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My wife makes fabulous bread using a method which does not use kneading! This is the book:

Amazon product ASIN 1849751404
It really works, she has tried other methods but has now found what works for her. It has convinced me kneading isn't necessary, the downside is it takes perhaps a bit longer which is probably why the professionals don't use it.

The Paul Hollywood book went to the charity shop.

But as a balance, I've made bread using a Kenwood Chef with a dough hook. I can make good bread but I've found you need somewhere warm to do the rising. This is critical, without warmth you get bricks. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My wife makes fabulous bread using a method which does not use kneading! This is the book:

Amazon product ASIN 1849751404
It really works, she has tried other methods but has now found what works for her. It has convinced me kneading isn't necessary, the downside is it takes perhaps a bit longer which is probably why the professionals don't use it.

The Paul Hollywood book went to the charity shop.
Is that the amazing disappearing bread making book then ??? I can't see it!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is that the amazing disappearing bread making book then ??? I can't see it!
It disappears like every loaf she makes! Not sure why you can't see it, but possibly because I was adding something to the post. :)

But its called How to Make Bread by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I would love to make some bread, I used to do it when I was a tot with my Mum using an old victorian style washing bowl (the type that comes with a large water jug for daily ablutions) but unfortunately I can't do the kneading as it puts too much pressure on my hands/wrists and is bl**dy painful ... (n)

I'd still do the baking in the oven so just need something to knead! So should I look to get a breadmaker to just do the kneading or would I be better off with a food mixer with a dough attachment?
Pannasonic for me also setting no 6 does dough
Ready to go
It takes 90 minutes I have stopped it at 60 mins
And left it to rise then baked it
£39.00 from aldi a month or so back

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry, didn't read your original post properly! If we are talking bread machines versus more traditional bread making then there is no contest - depending on what you want!

If you want adequate bread which is edible then get a bread making machine. We used them for years. Then we started making bread "properly". The result is massively better than the stuff you can make in a bread making machine.

If you are happy with a square loaf of bread which hasn't risen much with a dubious crust then get a machine.

If you like crusty bread like you can buy in a bakers then make it yourself, either by hand or perhaps using a machine with a dough hook.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't want to bake the loaf in a bread machine, just do the kneading hence whether a bread machine or a food mixer would be best ... although I do like the sound of the 'no kneading' recipes as I can have a go at these in the interim and see how I get on.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't want to bake the loaf in a bread machine, just do the kneading hence whether a bread machine or a food mixer would be best ... although I do like the sound of the 'no kneading' recipes as I can have a go at these in the interim and see how I get on.
Can't argue with that, bread machines are cheap enough. Give it a go, but don't be put off if you don't get the results you expect. As I said we had bread making machines for years, thinking we couldn't make bread any other way.

Bread making machines are also compact so could be used in the MH. Otherwise I would still recommend a Kenwood Chef. Not the most expensive or best mixer but I use ours to make a good pizza dough. Mrs DBK makes great cakes with it as well!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Can't argue with that, bread machines are cheap enough. Give it a go, but don't be put off if you don't get the results you expect. As I said we had bread making machines for years, thinking we couldn't make bread any other way.

Bread making machines are also compact so could be used in the MH. Otherwise I would still recommend a Kenwood Chef. Not the most expensive or best mixer but I use ours to make a good pizza dough. Mrs DBK makes great cakes with it as well!
Drop David Cameron a line Minxy, he knows that there are loads of kneady people just waiting for an opportunity to get their feet under someone's kitchen table. (y)(y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
A food processor (kneading hooks) is obviously more versatile but my bread makes does have recipes that allow you to stop after the kneading process in order to make/bake bread rolls.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I'd rather use an oven to do the actual baking as I can then decide on what type of bread I want - loaf, rolls, baps etc, can't do that if I bake it in a breadmaking machine, hence why I just need something for the kneading.
. Mixer every time minxy, can be used for so much else ,and wont be just another gadget in back of the cupboard . Lidl have a special on this week ,great mixer for £50. .Roy

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I use my trusty old Kenwood Chef with a dough hook.
It was one of our wedding presents nigh on 40 years ago and still going strong.
No limit to the types/shapes when you do it that way. You don't need heat for proving. It just takes longer.
I have a super recipe for a white loaf that proves overnight.
I'd be happy to post it if you want.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have a KitchenAid mixer and use the dough hook - brilliant mixer, built to last a lifetime.

Likewise.. (y)

KitchenAid Heavy Duty .. 'probably' the best domestic mixer you can buy .

I bought mine from this company . https://www.cs-catering-equipment.co.uk/kitchenaid-5kpm5ber-red-planetary-food-mixer

I started out with a Panasonic bread maker.. does a good job.. but not a patch on 'hand made' It is now 'retired' to the shed..

I make a large plain Bloomer every other day...

Has it been mentioned that we have bread making group .. ?
Broken Link Removed

My basic bread mix is very simple .. the salt and sugar can of course be adjusted to your preference..

500gm strong white bread flour
1 ts Sugar
1/2 ts salt
40ml olive oil
320ml cold water
1 pack of dried yeast 7gm

Mix the dry ingredients in the mixer, then add the olive oil and finally add the water gradually.. mix with the dough hook until it is nice a soft.. about 10 mins or mix and knead by hand.

Remove from mixer and knead into a round ball. Place in an oiled covered bowl and let it prove in a warm place until about double in size. (This can take several hours depending on room temperature)...

'Knock back' on a floured surface and shape into whatever loaf you want... I usually do a round one which requires the dough to be folded over on itself several times and kneaded each time until it is a nice ball shape.. .. or a long bloomer .. or cut into 12 or 8 pieces to make rolls (baps) and knead each one as per the round loaf.

Place on a floured baking tray, cover with clink film and prove until it starts to rise again.. but not too much or the loaf becomes too airy .

Spray with cold water , dust with bread flour, and cut a cross on top by sliding a sharp knife across it.

Bake for 30 mins at 225c (fan assisted oven) .. turn oven down to 200c for the last ten minutes.

The 'bloomer'
DSCF2401.JPG DSCF2402.JPG

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
. Mixer every time minxy, can be used for so much else ,and wont be just another gadget in back of the cupboard . Lidl have a special on this week ,great mixer for £50. .Roy

Got to agree, have used both and mixer with dough hook wins every time (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have the Panasonic breadmaker for the best of both worlds. Quick loaves whenever we want them. But the dough setting for when we want the kneading and perfect proving done for us, but want to bake rolls or different shaped loaves. Win Win

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We used a previous bread machine to just knead dough and the paddles wore out where they fasten on the shaft. We now have an argos own brand bread machine (works really well dead cheap) but if were going to just make dough would get a mixer with dough hooks as its made for the job!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Likewise.. (y)

KitchenAid Heavy Duty .. 'probably' the best domestic mixer you can buy .

I bought mine from this company . https://www.cs-catering-equipment.co.uk/kitchenaid-5kpm5ber-red-planetary-food-mixer

I started out with a Panasonic bread maker.. does a good job.. but not a patch on 'hand made' It is now 'retired' to the shed..

I make a large plain Bloomer every other day...

Has it been mentioned that we have bread making group .. ?
Broken Link Removed

My basic bread mix is very simple .. the salt and sugar can of course be adjusted to your preference..

500gm strong white bread flour
1 ts Sugar
1/2 ts salt
40ml olive oil
320ml cold water
1 pack of dried yeast 7gm

Mix the dry ingredients in the mixer, then add the olive oil and finally add the water gradually.. mix with the dough hook until it is nice a soft.. about 10 mins or mix and knead by hand.

Remove from mixer and knead into a round ball. Place in an oiled covered bowl and let it prove in a warm place until about double in size. (This can take several hours depending on room temperature)...

'Knock back' on a floured surface and shape into whatever loaf you want... I usually do a round one which requires the dough to be folded over on itself several times and kneaded each time until it is a nice ball shape.. .. or a long bloomer .. or cut into 12 or 8 pieces to make rolls (baps) and knead each one as per the round loaf.

Place on a floured baking tray, cover with clink film and prove until it starts to rise again.. but not too much or the loaf becomes too airy .

Spray with cold water , dust with bread flour, and cut a cross on top by sliding a sharp knife across it.

Bake for 30 mins at 225c (fan assisted oven) .. turn oven down to 200c for the last ten minutes.

The 'bloomer'
View attachment 83641 View attachment 83642

Broken Link Removed
Well that ones look better than my Panosonic results, much better!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well that ones look better than my Panosonic results, much better!
thanks Eddie..

The Panasonic makes a passable loaf.. certainly better than shop bought, used one for several years in the van when living in it... but you can't beat hand made .. downside to home made is it doesn't last nearly as long factory bread.. It gets eaten as soon as it's cool ..

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

I`d go with Scotjimland`s post though would suggest a couple of alternatives, I use a very similar recipe but always mix by hand, 10 mins minimum stretching the dough out, make sure you only use one hand for mixing that way you have a clean hand for other things that might picking up...

I use warm water, I also use the dried yeast but mix it with a little warm water and sugar, this wakes the yeast up so it starts it`s work straight away.

I place mine on a floured tray and place a large plastic box over it to rise, usually about 40 mins to an hour.
As Jim knock it back to get all the air out, reshape and then the most important stage The Proving, you can
cover in a fine coating of olive oil to stop from drying out, can take another hour.

Into the preheated oven for 25 mins but I place a baking tray in the bottom, as I put the bread in to bake I add some boiling water to the baking tray.
This will add a steam mist to the oven that will ensure you get a lovely crust.

Enjoy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Making one this morning.. photos of process... now waiting till it rises , it will almost fill the mixing bowl when it's ready to knock back and shape...will post them later..

IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0204.JPG

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
A vote for Kenwood chef from this camp too - bought one for the wife 45 years ago and its still going strong. Dough hook does all the hard work and we enjoy the results

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back