Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bought from Tesco..

Package wording.. "Skinless Wild Alaskan Salmon Fillets "

but on the back of the pack .. "Produced in China "

now.. it may well have been caught in the North Pacific ocean ..but I think it is misrepresentation verging on fraud by saying it is "Alaskan" .. I bought thinking it had been caught and processed in Alaska..

What do you think ?

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 36
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@ScotJimland Alaskan refers to the exact species of the fish Jim, not where they are from. They are a different species from the ones we get here. The meat is usually darker in colour and the flavour is slightly different too. You sometime see them called Pacific Salmon. Either way they are just as good, if not better than our Atlantic variety. Treat it the same when you cook it.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@ScotJimland Alaskan refers to the exact species of the fish Jim, not where they are from. They are a different species from the ones we get here. The meat is usually darker in colour and the flavour is slightly different too. You sometime see them called Pacific Salmon. Either way they are just as good, if not better than our Atlantic variety. Treat it the same when you cook it.

ok.. I get that .. but it's still a bit fishy ..

as for eating.. well.. it was dire.. I panned fried in butter with lemon juice and seasoned with black pepper.. it had a strong taste and not very tender..

I think there is more to this than meets the eye.. will do some internet trawling and see what I can drag up ..

this sheds some light

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/nw-salmon-sent-to-china-before-reaching-us-tables/

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Try lidls salmon, every bit as good as tesco, and a lot cheaper

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Try lidls salmon, every bit as good as tesco, and a lot cheaper

I'd rather buy fresh farmed Scottish.. read this

The fish are de-headed and gutted on the ship in the Bering Sea, then frozen and sent to China, says Douglas Forsyth, Premier Pacific’s president. Once there, they are boned, skinned and cut into portions of 2 ounces to 6 ounces, he says.

Supermarket chains and nationwide retailers are helping to drive the practice, Forsyth says. “You’re dealing with national retail chains that have strict product specifications that are so exacting that they require hand processing,” he says.

Even factoring in 20 cents a pound in transportation costs, processing in China is still cheaper for the most labor-intensive fish, says Trident’s Bundrant.

The company freezes its salmon within hours of harvest and then ships them to China, where they are thawed to 40 degrees and boned. The journey there and back takes two months, Bundrant says.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
ok.. I get that .. but it's still a bit fishy ..

as for eating.. well.. it was dire.. I panned fried in butter with lemon juice and seasoned with black pepper.. it had a strong taste and not very tender..

I think there is more to this than meets the eye.. will do some internet trawling and see what I can drag up ..

this sheds some light

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/nw-salmon-sent-to-china-before-reaching-us-tables/

Wow that's shocking. No wonder it wasn't very good.

Whenever I've had Pacific Salmon it's been excellent. I'll be keeping an eye on what I buy now though.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
It is shocking , but they do taste nice

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Difficult to find much that's not produced in PRC .
I believe its ok if produced in one place and processed and packed in another, although quite misleading.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Some one gave me some fresh salmon once , all I could taste was mud! We cooked the lidls well travelled the same way and it tasted lovely. What does one do ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Difficult to find much that's not produced in PRC .
I believe its ok if produced in one place and processed and packed in another, although quite misleading.

It is allowed but it's usually done the other way, one example being Magners cider. That's a Matthew Clark brand, it's produced in Shepton Mallet and then sent to Ireland to be bottled so they can call it Irish cider.

In this case though it doesn't really apply as the word Alaskan refers to the species of the fish not necessarily where it's from.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I never eat salmon now, was brought up on wild Atlantic salmon, caught by my dad and even the organic farmed stuff doesn't come anywhere near for taste. Even sea bass, my other favourite is mostly farmed now, sign of the times I suppose :(

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've never been keen on frozen fish of any variety.. we usually buy fresh from the local fishmonger or the fresh fish counter in Makro..

we live and learn.. won't be buying frozen fish again.. from any store

My great aunts were fishmongers in Kilbarchan, proper old fashioned shops.. On Saturdays I helped out, I went to the train station to collect the fish from Aberdeen.. it was packed in ice in wooden boxes.. then delivered it on a butcher style delivery bicycle ..
As kids, fresh fish was always on our table..

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Our experience tells us that we will never buy Salmon from a supermarket, farmed salmon is bloody awful when compared to a fresh run river caught Salmon.
I fish a few rivers in Scotland so we have a steady supply, mind you if this catch and release saga spreads the rivers and the B&Bs will suffer big time.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
what is that ... care to expand ?

Simply what it says, the rivers management board rule that all fish caught should be returned, Started on the Aberdeenshire Dee, a fad started in America.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
When I was in Vancouver Island Salmon fishing a few years ago they had a cannery on the island. You could take your fish to the cannery where they would clean it, can it and send it to anywhere you wanted. I choose to return all the fish I caught. Every salmon entering Vancouver rivers die after spawning. Wish I had kept that beast in my avatar now and had it canned and sent home.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Simply what it says, the rivers management board rule that all fish caught should be returned, Started on the Aberdeenshire Dee, a fad started in America.
A fad? Surely the idea is to put them back so they can spawn. Salmon fishing is supposed to be improving I think and catch and release might be helping. I haven't fished for salmon for years, my best was 22 lbs - and tasted delicious!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Fishing Canada. Cut-throat Trout from Rocky Mountain rivers and Salmon from Vancouver Island rivers PT1
33891_439239721661_7438251_n.jpg
40883_439240526661_3105589_n.jpg
44238_439239031661_1324661_n.jpg
58099_439239061661_443667_n.jpg
62167_439239906661_8310631_n.jpg
979856_10151499112216662_557371261_o.jpg
1052282_10151499109466662_1847405873_o.jpg
1052442_10151499108681662_1800832225_o.jpg
1052917_10151499111671662_1656599491_o.jpg

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
looks like you had a great time,.. and great photos
Thank you, I did!
I was on the island for 8 days and fished 7 of them from early in the morning until beginning of evening. Lost count of the number of salmon caught and had a great experience with a black bear who could smell my/his lunch in my day pack.
When I left the Island my upper back was breaking and a big grin on my chops. An experience I shall never forget.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
A fad? Surely the idea is to put them back so they can spawn. Salmon fishing is supposed to be improving I think and catch and release might be helping. I haven't fished for salmon for years, my best was 22 lbs - and tasted delicious!

It does sound a good idea but when you look at the scale of the whole picture, i.e. the massive factory ships out at sea, the destruction of the sand eel population around the coast, (The Salmons natural food) the ever increasing numbers of seals in the river mouths.
Cormorants, Gooseanders, Mink and now the growing population of The Otter, the increase in the growing and harvesting of Maize late in the season.
Salmon Farms, so farmed Salmon are escaping into the rivers mating with the natural Salmon and lowering their immunity systems, Salmon Nets. etc etc etc.

Have a look at the numbers of Rod caught Salmon and you will see it`s a tiny amount compared to the list above.

As for Salmon fishing improving, I don`t think so, we have smaller numbers of Salmon entering the river systems now every year it appears to get worse.

Reactions: DBK

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

The company freezes its salmon within hours of harvest and then ships them to China, where they are thawed to 40 degrees and boned. The journey there and back takes two months, Bundrant says.[/QUOTE]

So you bought it frozen and it's already been frozen and thawed. No thanks.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It does sound a good idea but when you look at the scale of the whole picture, i.e. the massive factory ships out at sea, the destruction of the sand eel population around the coast, (The Salmons natural food) the ever increasing numbers of seals in the river mouths.
Cormorants, Gooseanders, Mink and now the growing population of The Otter, the increase in the growing and harvesting of Maize late in the season.
Salmon Farms, so farmed Salmon are escaping into the rivers mating with the natural Salmon and lowering their immunity systems, Salmon Nets. etc etc etc.

Have a look at the numbers of Rod caught Salmon and you will see it`s a tiny amount compared to the list above.

As for Salmon fishing improving, I don`t think so, we have smaller numbers of Salmon entering the river systems now every year it appears to get worse.
Sam for sea trout in Wales. Huge decline over the last few years.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back