Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Ive been given the challenge of making a Bullseye style dartboard for a pub game. After a couple of trys at painting an old dartboard and ending up with an almost solid block that the dart bounce out of can anyone shed any light on how and what to paint a dartboard with??

Please help im running out of old dartboards :Eeek: :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Ive been given the challenge of making a Bullseye style dartboard for a pub game. After a couple of trys at painting an old dartboard and ending up with an almost solid block that the dart bounce out of can anyone shed any light on how and what to paint a dartboard with??

Please help im running out of old dartboards :Eeek: :thumb:

food dye?
clothes dye?
poster paints (water based)
watered down inkjet refill ink
just some ideas that came to mind:Doh:

and remember you dont get anything for two in a bed lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Thanks for the replys guys :thumb:

My main problem is I need to paint the board a single colour to start with (black or white) to get rid of the original colouring, Dartboards are a really weird material and it just sucks up the paint into the core leaving very little of it on the surface :cry:.

By the time ive managed to get the thing all 1 colour to use as a starting point the paint has set like concrete and it becomes bullet proof!! (Maybe i should patent my discovery and try and sell it to the army to put on their tanks :ROFLMAO:)

Ive tried spray paints but it just gets sucked up leaving virtually no colour :cry:

Ive hunted ont tinterweb but cant find any kind of info :Eeek:, im beginning to think its a state secret ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Try white card glued onto the board and paint onto this. Water based is probably best.
Good luck
Sandy

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
They already use that but after a couple of games it gets filled with holes and starts falling to bits :Doh:.

Its so frustrating and seems like such a simple request, you cant even buy a proper Bullseye dartboard (the type with the question categories and the prize board sort) which I find astounding :Eeek: Maybe its because they cant paint the bloody things the right colour that no-one has ever produced them :ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You have absolutely no chance with a bristle board, as the fibres are dyed not painted:Doh:
Try a cheap full size paper one, that should spray paint fine:thumb:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
hi, save money on paints, this may be what you`re looking for :thumb:

Link Removed
No thats a standard Dart board, hes looking to make one like the one on the TV that you aim at for the prizes:thumb:

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
No thats a standard Dart board, hes looking to make one like the one on the TV that you aim at for the prizes:thumb:

Theres lots of the standard dartboards around with the Bullseye logo and bull on it but im trying to make 2. 1 is the prizeboard (IIIINNNNNNN One :ROFLMAO: etc etc etc) and the other is the question category board (ill have spelling please Jim!!!!:ROFLMAO:)

Looks like it back to printing off the paper covers. Ive thought of getting one of those iron on jobs for putting your own logo/pics etc on teeshirts and stapling some material over the front of an existing board but the dartboards are 18" (450mm) across and they only do the iron type jobbies in A4 size :cry::Doh:

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Now then......thats just given me an idea :Eeek:

Anyone on here got anything to do with embroidering logos etc onto work clothes?? If so how big can you go and any idea of how much it would cost to do 2 x 18" round dartboard covers if i provide the artwork?? :winky:

Cheers :thumb:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Or, find a local printer who can print on canvas from photographs - give them a digital image of the dartboard and hey presto:Smile:

skylark_irl

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
How about getting cork floor tiles, and gluing them to a firmer board (chipboard or the like), then paint your designs on the cork? This should last a while.

You might need to do a couple of tiles on top of each other to get a good depth for the darts to stick to though.

Best of luck with the project :thumb:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Here's what you could have won

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halsall-Bullseye-Darts-Set/dp/B000FOJP70]Bullseye Darts Set: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games[/ame]

Be quick, there are 2 left :thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Dart boards are usually made from cork or,the best, from end on bristle. For your project why not try using cork and then painting it with ESP primer and then emulsion paint.
Or a large piece of polystryrene,the type used by builders for insulation and painting it with water based paint.
As to printing, archery butts are a spiral of straw covered with a printed target,maybe that is the way to go with a regular board underneath.

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Thanks for all the suggestions :thumb:
Have decided to go with the digital image printed onto canvas idea

Great site this, well done everyone ::bigsmile::winky:

Tron2020

Free Member
Jan 11, 2014
United States
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
It was tough...

But I did paint a custom design and colors on a bristle board. First I took off all the wires. Then I read on the Internet to use wood furniture polish to give the bristles back the moisture they needed. Waited about a day and a half ( I would wait a little longer depending on how much you used) then I picked up some chalkboard spray paint from Home Depot and gave the board a light coat. Just enough to make the black areas black. Make sure you can still see the original lines. Let that dry for a couple days. And then I bought some Sharpie oil based paint pens from Home Depot also. This part was very tideous and time consuming but the end result was a dart that sticks in the board. Replace the wires (not as easy as it sounds) and your done.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
But I did paint a custom design and colors on a bristle board. First I took off all the wires. Then I read on the Internet to use wood furniture polish to give the bristles back the moisture they needed. Waited about a day and a half ( I would wait a little longer depending on how much you used) then I picked up some chalkboard spray paint from Home Depot and gave the board a light coat. Just enough to make the black areas black. Make sure you can still see the original lines. Let that dry for a couple days. And then I bought some Sharpie oil based paint pens from Home Depot also. This part was very tideous and time consuming but the end result was a dart that sticks in the board. Replace the wires (not as easy as it sounds) and your done.

Thanks Tron2020, they've been waiting almost five years for your answer but I know for a fact that they are very appreciative, oh and by the way...............

....................:welcomefunster: to the madhouse..........Griff:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back