ferrys & Gas (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
we are going on the ferry from portsmouth to santander.are there any restrictions on gas or is that only on the tunnel .thanks

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Hazelnut,its strictly illegal to leave your gas on,Maritine Laws.
put plenty of ice blocks and a few frozen bottles of water into your fridge and it will last till you get off the boat,HTH's(y)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I think their terms and conditions state there are limits but may change depending on which ship you travel with

I have travelled a few times with 1x 13kg and 1x6kg with no issue

If you are taking more I would contact their customer services

As Red dragon States don't leave your gas on. Heavier than air explosive gases and boats are not easy bedfellows. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We did the 2 night Portsmouth to Bilbao recently and put 2 frozen 2 pint containers of milk, filled the freezer and all was fine, the milk had just defrosted. We've eaten the food and no adverse effects so don't worry.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The ferry company I worked for had a strict two cylinder policy, I thnik this is the MCA regulation. It must be turned off at source.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
we are going on the ferry from portsmouth to santander.are there any restrictions on gas or is that only on the tunnel .thanks

you didn't mention fridge, but that's been answered

.. and presumably it's Brittany Ferries

Brittany Ferries FAQs http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/faq/travel-information/can-i-transport-gas-cylinders

Can I transport gas cylinders?
When travelling in a vehicle, a maximum of three 15kg gas cylinders may be carried. All cylinders should be adequately secured against the movement of the ship and the cylinders must be switched off during the crossing.

Can I take my LPG / LNG vehicle on your ferry?

We carry both Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) vehicles onboard all our vessels. The gas cylinder MUST be switched off on board.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why is everyone so concerned about fridges/freezers.
They still sell food on the continent i believe, so why bother chilling the fridge and freezer until you disembark.
A carton of longlife milk, not everyones idea of milk mine included, will see you through for tea/coffee until you can buy food and drink when you get there.
Packet/tinned food wont kill you for one or two meals.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have done the Portsmouth - Santander crossing in both the car (which runs on LPG and has a 58ltr tank of the stuff) and the MH. No problems in either case, in the MH you must remember to turn off the gas when you board. I usually do it when queueing to board, otherwise I will forget. There are strict limits regarding numbers of cylinders and how they are transported, but as long as they are in the locker you will be fine.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Why is everyone so concerned about fridges/freezers.
They still sell food on the continent i believe, so why bother chilling the fridge and freezer until you disembark.
A carton of longlife milk, not everyones idea of milk mine included, will see you through for tea/coffee until you can buy food and drink when you get there.
Packet/tinned food wont kill you for one or two meals.
Exactly(y) that's what we did in July however, we still seem to carry loads of 'Just in case' stuff that travels back with us untouched:(

OP
OP
Hazelnut
Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
Sorry i did not explain what i wanted very well.want to take on 2 Gaslow bottles .2 large or 1 large & 1 med .dont know what will fit in yet.did NOT mean to use on boat .evan we arnt that daft.good idea about ice packs wii do that.this is our first time on a ferry with the van.even though we have had 8. thanks

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sorry i did not explain what i wanted very well.want to take on 2 Gaslow bottles .2 large or 1 large & 1 med .dont know what will fit in yet.did NOT mean to use on boat .evan we arnt that daft.good idea about ice packs wii do that.this is our first time on a ferry with the van.even though we have had 8. thanks
If they are fitted, then I believe there is no problem. If you are carrying them loose, big no no.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Strange I once owned a 32 ft cruiser(Boat) , we had gas fridge and gas water heater both of which were in use at sea!
We lived to tell the tale. !

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My question relates to gas as we have 60 litre under slung tank. I have a series of knobs inside the van which shut off the gas to each appliance. To turn off the tank 'at source' is difficult to get at to say the least. Do people think turning off inside the van is sufficient or it should be turned off at source?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back