Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
Hi,any help please, I'm thinking of replacing the decals on my 2000 w reg wayfarer,they are faded and look as if they will be very difficult to take off,has anyone anyone done this,and is there any tips for taking them ofF thanks in advance,JABBAMAN:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,any help please, I'm thinking of replacing the decals on my 2000 w reg wayfarer,they are faded and look as if they will be very difficult to take off,has anyone anyone done this,and is there any tips for taking them ofF thanks in advance,JABBAMAN:Blush:

If they are vinyl then a heat gun - hairdryer - used with care and your finger nails.

Get a corner off then a tease the rest by pull-heat-pull-heat.

Pig of a job, have beers to hand.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And take it from someone whos been there. unless you have the same pattern (or bigger to cover all the old design) put back on, you will have a monthly T cut and polish job to keep the marks away were the old design was:Eeek: and even after a very thorough polish the first signs of damp weather or dew and the old design will stand out like a beacon:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And take it from someone whos been there. unless you have the same pattern (or bigger to cover all the old design) put back on, you will have a monthly T cut and polish job to keep the marks away were the old design was:Eeek: and even after a very thorough polish the first signs of damp weather or dew and the old design will stand out like a beacon:cry:

Believe this man - we have the same problem. I'm *&^^**& if I can shift the ghost of stickers past.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Forgot to add I did cure the problem in the end Brian:thumb:

Sold the bloody thing :Cool:

Upvote 0

exwafu

Free Member
Jan 25, 2008
Wirral "over the water"
Funster No
MH
B class RV
Exp
not long enough.
Hi Jabbaman,
I am doing the decals on my Winnebago , they too are faded and not to my liking anyway.
My truck is older than yours and the decals are a "B" to remove. When I was on the tools we often used to have to strip off vinyls from truck bodywork. We used to use a heat gun and plastic razor blade (available from vinyl suppliers), in hot weather I'd take the truck outside and catch some rays as well. If they are a bit stubborn, use a stripe remover wheel (available from vehicle refinishing suppliers). Held in a drill chuck they strip off the stripes without damage to the underlying paint job. Basically the wheel is a 4" circular rubber and cost about £10. Hope this helps, I'm on my third wheel now and still have a bit left to do, lucky I brought them off the job when I left! :winky:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
When you put the new ones on, put some diluted Fairy washing up liquid on the panels, this will allow you to 'slip' the decals into position easliy and then brush out any air bubbles.

When the Fairy liquid dries out, the decals will be stuck firmly

Peter

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome

i dont know what your decals are made of , or what the surface of your van is, but i can teel you how i got my `line stickers` off my campervan!?

i used nitro-moors stripper, just dabbed it on and let the sticker bubble up and hey presto, gone, then i washed quickly with a sponge with washing up liquid on :thumb:

worked for me, id suggest you test a small area of your van decal first, good luck:Smile: xjx

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JABBAMAN

JABBAMAN

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
Hi ,Thanks for the quick reply,I will be putting larger decals on to replace old ones,my m/h had been in Portugal for 3 months before i bought it,and the sun faded the decals realy bad,not looking forward to doing this but i'll have a go,thanks JABBAMAN:Doh:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JABBAMAN

JABBAMAN

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
If they are vinyl then a heat gun - hairdryer - used with care and your finger nails.

Get a corner off then a tease the rest by pull-heat-pull-heat.

Pig of a job, have beers to hand.
Thanks for quick reply,I think your right i'll keep the beers close to hand,cheers JABBAMAN:shout::shout:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JABBAMAN

JABBAMAN

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
Hi Jabbaman,
I am doing the decals on my Winnebago , they too are faded and not to my liking anyway.
My truck is older than yours and the decals are a "B" to remove. When I was on the tools we often used to have to strip off vinyls from truck bodywork. We used to use a heat gun and plastic razor blade (available from vinyl suppliers), in hot weather I'd take the truck outside and catch some rays as well. If they are a bit stubborn, use a stripe remover wheel (available from vehicle refinishing suppliers). Held in a drill chuck they strip off the stripes without damage to the underlying paint job. Basically the wheel is a 4" circular rubber and cost about £10. Hope this helps, I'm on my third wheel now and still have a bit left to do, lucky I brought them off the job when I left! :winky:
tHANKS,a lot for all your great suudgestions, I apprieciate them , i'll be given it a go next week end, you've been very helpful,cheers JABBAMAN
:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JABBAMAN

JABBAMAN

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
When you put the new ones on, put some diluted Fairy washing up liquid on the panels, this will allow you to 'slip' the decals into position easliy and then brush out any air bubbles.

When the Fairy liquid dries out, the decals will be stuck firmly

Peter
Thanks, for great tip,i'm new to this and i'm very grateful,cheers JABBAMAN:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Why not get a price off the guy suppling the new stickers :winky:? When we had all the graphics changed on our vans the sign guys changed us £50 to take off the old one before fitting the new ones...............the best £50 i ever spent :thumb:, it took them 1/2 day to remove them (and we had 5 vans at the time :cry::Doh:)

Might be worth asking the question, also if they damage the paint in the process its their problem to put it right NOT yours!!:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JABBAMAN

JABBAMAN

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
i dont know what your decals are made of , or what the surface of your van is, but i can teel you how i got my `line stickers` off my campervan!?

i used nitro-moors stripper, just dabbed it on and let the sticker bubble up and hey presto, gone, then i washed quickly with a sponge with washing up liquid on :thumb:

worked for me, id suggest you test a small area of your van decal first, good luck:Smile: xjx

Thanks for your tip, very grateful as i am a novice to m/h's did the stripper not damage paint work under decals at all cheers JABBAMAN

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JABBAMAN

JABBAMAN

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
Why not get a price off the guy suppling the new stickers :winky:? When we had all the graphics changed on our vans the sign guys changed us £50 to take off the old one before fitting the new ones...............the best £50 i ever spent :thumb:, it took them 1/2 day to remove them (and we had 5 vans at the time :cry::Doh:)

Might be worth asking the question, also if they damage the paint in the process its their problem to put it right NOT yours!!:thumb:

Thanks for reply,that would be ideal,but buying them of the internet,cheers JABBAMAN:thumb:

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Before you buy off the web try some local vehicle signwriters first. I thought getting them off the web would be much cheaper but after going to see a couple of local guys they matched the price and gave a much better service. They ended up doing custom graphics for the same price as the off the shelf stuff and didnt charge much to fit them :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JABBAMAN

JABBAMAN

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
Thanks to everyone for your feedback ,great to know there's people out there willing to help cheers JABBAMAN:winky::Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JABBAMAN

JABBAMAN

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
Before you buy off the web try some local vehicle signwriters first. I thought getting them off the web would be much cheaper but after going to see a couple of local guys they matched the price and gave a much better service. They ended up doing custom graphics for the same price as the off the shelf stuff and didnt charge much to fit them :thumb:
Thanks again, there's a signwriters not to far from me ,i'll give them a try before i buy of the net,cheers mate,JABBAMAN:thumb::thumb::thumb::Smile:

Upvote 0

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i have a vinyl cutter my self, and am always making up decals for my vehicles, then changing my mind, taking them off and applying new uns,
everything i do is custom work, i dont just print from a database of pre-set designs, sam enjoys drawing things, then i vectorise them and cut em in vinyl.

Anyway, i had some that i got made up over 6 years ago that i wanted to take off (and i remember that decal alone had cost me 45 bloomin quid, and it was just a single line of text 6 foot long by 10 inches tall, used £12 quids worth of vinyl at the most), hairdryer and nails got the buggers off, but of course you could see where the paint had faded around them over the years,

a bottle of auto glym paint restorer sorted that out, i'd tried T-cut before and found if you press too hard it'll go through the microscopic paint layer on alli,
but a polish and buff (by hand, never use a power polisher on alli motorhomes) with the paint restorer has removed all traces of the decals, and brightened the paint up nicely without any hint of going through to the bare alli underneath.

i'm still designing what will go back on the van, but deffo agree with what one person said, idealy get a mister bottle, a drop or 2 of washing up liquid in some water, then mist the surface prior to laying the decal down,
i use some rapid tac stuff which is what my vinyl suppliers recomend, is a bit better than the old washing up liquid trick, but for most people applying one set of decals and that's it, it's not worth them buying a bottle of rapid tac.

but once the decal is laid over the wet surface, use either a proper vinyl squeegee, or a credit card, and gentyl scrape the air out from the decals, working from the middle outwards,
your scraping on the application paper, so arent dammaging the decal, when your sure you have all air bubbles out, leave the decals alone for a few mins for the wetness to dry,
then mist over the application paper to soak it, this helps release the adhesive on the paper, and gently pull the paper off the decal at a 45 degree angle from the surface,
wetting the paper helps big time, less chance of lifting the decal from the van,

then give the decal a quick wipe over with a dry cloth, and admire it, (and now is the time you find out you applied it off level :roflmto:

Most decals are made using 5 year vinyl, so they should stay put and not fade too much for 5 years, but there are some really cheap and nasty chinese vinyls out there, something to check if buying off ebay and the likes, ask for the name of the vinyl they use,

i use oracal vinyls mainly, but occasionaly if i need a specific colour of finish they dont do, then i will use LG chem or avery ones, as i know these vinyls are good, and do tend to last the 5 years at least... that's staying stuck and fade resistance, i dont really seem to get on with ri-mark and mactac vinyls, tears as being cut and stretches too easily.

But my vinyl cutting 'operation' is only a hobby, sam also uses the cutter to make arty stuff out of papers and cards, which is a bit of a bummer as it blunts the blade even faster than vinyl does, and the blades are bloomin expensive, but she makes some nice things so i let her off :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JABBAMAN

JABBAMAN

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
GLASGOW
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
2 YEARS
i have a vinyl cutter my self, and am always making up decals for my vehicles, then changing my mind, taking them off and applying new uns,
everything i do is custom work, i dont just print from a database of pre-set designs, sam enjoys drawing things, then i vectorise them and cut em in vinyl.

Anyway, i had some that i got made up over 6 years ago that i wanted to take off (and i remember that decal alone had cost me 45 bloomin quid, and it was just a single line of text 6 foot long by 10 inches tall, used £12 quids worth of vinyl at the most), hairdryer and nails got the buggers off, but of course you could see where the paint had faded around them over the years,

a bottle of auto glym paint restorer sorted that out, i'd tried T-cut before and found if you press too hard it'll go through the microscopic paint layer on alli,
but a polish and buff (by hand, never use a power polisher on alli motorhomes) with the paint restorer has removed all traces of the decals, and brightened the paint up nicely without any hint of going through to the bare alli underneath.

i'm still designing what will go back on the van, but deffo agree with what one person said, idealy get a mister bottle, a drop or 2 of washing up liquid in some water, then mist the surface prior to laying the decal down,
i use some rapid tac stuff which is what my vinyl suppliers recomend, is a bit better than the old washing up liquid trick, but for most people applying one set of decals and that's it, it's not worth them buying a bottle of rapid tac.

but once the decal is laid over the wet surface, use either a proper vinyl squeegee, or a credit card, and gentyl scrape the air out from the decals, working from the middle outwards,
your scraping on the application paper, so arent dammaging the decal, when your sure you have all air bubbles out, leave the decals alone for a few mins for the wetness to dry,
then mist over the application paper to soak it, this helps release the adhesive on the paper, and gently pull the paper off the decal at a 45 degree angle from the surface,
wetting the paper helps big time, less chance of lifting the decal from the van,

then give the decal a quick wipe over with a dry cloth, and admire it, (and now is the time you find out you applied it off level :roflmto:

Most decals are made using 5 year vinyl, so they should stay put and not fade too much for 5 years, but there are some really cheap and nasty chinese vinyls out there, something to check if buying off ebay and the likes, ask for the name of the vinyl they use,

i use oracal vinyls mainly, but occasionaly if i need a specific colour of finish they dont do, then i will use LG chem or avery ones, as i know these vinyls are good, and do tend to last the 5 years at least... that's staying stuck and fade resistance, i dont really seem to get on with ri-mark and mactac vinyls, tears as being cut and stretches too easily.

But my vinyl cutting 'operation' is only a hobby, sam also uses the cutter to make arty stuff out of papers and cards, which is a bit of a bummer as it blunts the blade even faster than vinyl does, and the blades are bloomin expensive, but she makes some nice things so i let her off :)

Thanks, for taking the time and thought into your very helpful reply,there's a lot excellent tips there and i really apprieciate them ,I'll be having ago at removing decals this weekend ,hopefully not to much strong language,thanks again JABBAMAN:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back