Anyone use solar to keep car battery charged while away? (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We pick up van and leave my car in the storage facility. After a few months lying idle it is very sluggish to start, must use some power for immobiliser etc.
Thinking of a small panel on dashboard, anyone else tried this?
Other suggestions gratefully received.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Yes, we've done it two years in a row [away for 5 months each time]....the solar panel[ AA model] sits on the rear parcel shelf of our Honda Jazz and connects to an input under the dash.

On both occasions when we've got home the car has started straight away...that Jazz's for you!

We also over inflate the tyres by about 10psi on each tyre...

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My discovery is notorious for the battery going flat if left for weeks/months on end. I use a 10w panel on the roof connected to the permanent 12v contacts on the towing electrics ( just plugged in). I have put some magnetic tape on the back which probably doesn't do much but it has never moved.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Yes, we've done it two years in a row [away for 5 months each time]....the solar panel[ AA model] sits on the rear parcel shelf of our Honda Jazz and connects to an input under the dash.

On both occasions when we've got home the car has started straight away...that Jazz's for you!

We also over inflate the tyres by about 10psi on each tyre...

My discovery is notorious for the battery going flat if left for weeks/months on end. I use a 10w panel on the roof connected to the permanent 12v contacts on the towing electrics ( just plugged in). I have put some magnetic tape on the back which probably doesn't do much but it has never moved.
Thanks for the replies, just need to get it through it's MOT, never buy a car registered in November, it eats into the Christmas booze fund.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back