Moroccan Mats ain't what they used to be (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
About 10 years ago we bought a Moroccan Mat. It was too thick to fold and had to be rolled. We carried in bungeed to the ladder on the back of the van. That strip of exposed mat when rolled and attached was the only bit that lost colour. This mat lasted about 5 years. It literally blew away piece by piece as it broke down, but it gave good service. The second one we bought lasted longer and it had more abuse, used on gravel and hard standing for long periods of time. It was 10m long (For our RV) its now much smaller with rotten ends trimmed but still in use to a friend we gave it to.

This year we bought a 'Moroccan" mat from the Peterborough Show. One of those you can fold. We've been using it for just one month. Not a bit of colour remains the orange is now grey, the black is grey the deep reds, grey! It's breaking up under foot already. I certainly wont be buying another at a show. Obviously poorly specced, cheap imitations of a great product.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We bought one at the Stratford show this year (man with Welsh accent) and it is doing the same thing and splitting. Not best pleased...........

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Ditto Jim we bought one at the Lincoln show went to Spain with it and it faded very fast plus breaking up like matchsticks, not to be recommended :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Still got ours 10 years on blimey its had some use, have had to cut the one end off and repair with gaffa tape but still going strong got another 10 years I reckon. (y)
Did buy a new one last year one of these modern fold up flat things, hated it horrible thing not a patch on a proper Moroccan mat used it twice then gave it to my son.

Reactions: Jim
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There were more than one seller at the shows. Do you know which sellers you bought them from, as one may have better quality than the other and it would be a shame to tar them all with the same brush and damage the reputation of a good trader. That is if its not all of them that are now poor quality.
Another thing is that it could be a bad batch, so may be worth contacting the seller. If they are reputable they will deal with the issue.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Ours is the same, it's about a year old and is slowly falling apart. We will probably dump this one when we return home from Benidorm. Will be looking for an alternative product to replace it.
Brisey.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
There is only one way to guarantee you will get a good quality Moroccan mat.

GO TO MOROCCO!

Ours is still going strong after several years - bought at Banana Village market (Taghazoute) by the metre very cheaply.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We had the same problem with our new mat too ... Ours is already grey but hundreds of the matting plastic bits have broken down within a few uses of the mat and are a blinkin nuisance as they stick to your shoes and trail into the van ...looking at the mat it reminds you of all the crabs sticking up on the sands lolol

I did go back to the seller at the show to complain about it guess what he said...no one else has complained about them ... And he just walked away , we will never buy off him again

Kath

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We had the one which you had to roll carmarthen show sold it on when changed van bought new folding one malvern 2014
Seems good mike does like to keep it rather than use it dont know why.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I bought one a while ago and I have to say I didn't think much of it when I opened the packet to have a look at it. We haven't used it yet but having read this thread I'm holding out even less hope now.

Mine came from the place that comes up first if you Google "Moroccan Mats" I'm sure the lady I spoke to said that they do the shows so I'm guessing it's the same company.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Get one in Maroc - cheap as chips as Mike said from the markets. Use it one season then sling it. Did consider filling the van up with them last time. The guy who sells them at the shows must be minted, as the big ones he sells for £55 are approx £15 in Maroc.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Like you Jim we bought one of the original ones that had to be rolled. Then changed the van and it hasn't been used since. It is rolled up in the shed and strung from the rafters!! It's not huge but if you want it you are welcome, I can bring to the next rally (Peterborough?). It's bright blue and yellow!

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Get one in Maroc - cheap as chips as Mike said from the markets. Use it one season then sling it. Did consider filling the van up with them last time. The guy who sells them at the shows must be minted, as the big ones he sells for £55 are approx £15 in Maroc.
Or give away to a very appreciative couple (and dog).......Martin

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought one at Lincoln (company called Morocco Mats?) purely because we camped at a couple of temporary sites this year where the grass was a bit long. Haven't used it yet so I hope it isn't one that degrades.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
We bought one at the Stratford show this year (man with Welsh accent) and it is doing the same thing and splitting. Not best pleased...........

Bought our first ever "Moroccan" mat at Stratford meet/rally 2014 and it is still in perfect condition. Mind you we haven't unwrapped or used it yet, best way of keeping it in good nick. Saving it for a special occasion!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Bought our first ever "Moroccan" mat at Stratford meet/rally 2014 and it is still in perfect condition. Mind you we haven't unwrapped or used it yet, best way of keeping it in good nick. Saving it for a special occasion!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:
And your point is!!!!!:(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bought one in Morocco and it was in tatters within 6 months .. went into a skip.. waste of money..

I now use proper breathable groundsheet.. lovely and soft and tough
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Softex-ec...carpet-groundsheet-2-5mtr-depth-/270937989971

• $_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Brought ours at the Newbury MH show a couple of years ago. Used it loads of times including hard standing gravel pitches. As good as the day we bought it including the colour. Cost around £45 IIRC.
Maybe a bad batch this year!!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Went into a carpet shop in Tafroute and was mesmerized by the high quality carpets on sale with matching prices. So went round the corner and bought a jacket for a fiver which is falling apart and has different sleeves on it. Love it to bit's.
Might buy a couple of carpets for the house when I go over in January.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Went into a carpet shop in Tafroute and was mesmerized by the high quality carpets on sale with matching prices. So went round the corner and bought a jacket for a fiver which is falling apart and has different sleeves on it. Love it to bit's.
Might buy a couple of carpets for the house when I go over in January.

I remember that jacket - how we larfed!
I think it was made to measure for a blind hunchback with one arm as long as an orang utang and other arm too short to get money out of a trouser pocket. :rofl::rofl:

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Mine has a label informing us not to place in direct sunlight and if it gets wet drip dry only.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I bought a carpet in Fez in 1970 and is still in good condition.

I bought a Fez Once. Off a guy in a Nightgown, wearing a Tea towel on his head, who said his name was Jock McGregor. Going out through Suez. Coming back we had to go round the Cape. Added 3 weeks to the trip!!. The Israelis and the Egyptians where chucking ordnance at each other and the canal was closed !!.

Pete

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Bought one in Morocco and it was in tatters within 6 months .. went into a skip.. waste of money..

I now use proper breathable groundsheet.. lovely and soft and tough
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Softex-ec...carpet-groundsheet-2-5mtr-depth-/270937989971

• $_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG
I have one of those,,only problem is when in Spain on dirt pitches if it rains(it does sometimes) the mud squeezes up through the mesh and makes a real mess. Use one of those cheap tarps now and throw away each season. BUSBY.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Sounds like the Moroccan mats aren't from Morocco any more.
Trade mis-description :LOL:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We bought one at a Peterborough show couple of years ago and it's still doing fine.

Sounds like it may be worth taking a trailer to Morocco............:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back