Rechargeable lamp - recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
We are trying to source a decent rechargeable 12v lamp (cigarette lighter size plug or usb)

A well built portable product is more important to us than millions of candle powers.

Has anyone got any recommendations for products they own?

Edit - were thinking torch as opposed to an external lamp

Cheers :)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I've got a fairly hefty rechargeable hand torch. It's yellow with a handle. Not a well known make, bought it for about 12 quid (two years ago). DIY stores do them BUT I've found that I hardly use it!!

I found that smaller pocket sized ones are best, because you don't want to carry a thumping great million candle power torch with you into the site bar or entertainment marquee whilst on a rally!

Head torches are useful - especially when changing over the gas (when it runs out at 2am) and you need two hands. A cheap one is around a fiver at Go Outdoors, but you can pay more if you want. Also useful if you're wild camping or cycling.

I don't bother with rechargeables at all now. By the time you pack yet another charger and buy yet another three-way cigar lighter adaptor for your ever growing kit, you might as well buy a pack of batteries from the Pound Shop.

Hope this helps
James

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I don't own one but for a tenner it seems useful to keep in the MH? I'm planning on getting one.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a couple of Led Lenser M7r torches. Brilliant ( sorry!) torches, very bright, with adjustable beam, and can be charged via usb and mains. Expensive, but worth every penny. Don't bother with the more expensive M7rx, one of ours is the X and there is very little observable difference between the two.
Mrs A is impressed with them, so they must be good.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ive got quite a few LED torches and all are better than the old lamp types. best of the bunch are the CREE torches bought in Aldi or Lidl for about Ā£10. they take 3 AAA batteries and using duracells they last for many many hours of use. bright enough to blind a mugger and focusable but light and small enough to carry in a pocket. made of good grade aluminium and waterproof. could easily use quality rechargeable cells

i used to swear by maglights and still have some unused some place, the build quality on the Ā£10 ones is comparable and a fraction the cost and weight

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have bought the Cree police torches from China for all the family. They are great. The rechargable Battery failed in one but a replacement was very easily sourced. Amazon or Fleabay will offer up a lot of options.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We bought a couple of these about 3 years ago... still working fine. Easily fit in your pocket.
$_1.JPG

Broken Link Removed

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Lidl and Aldi do some rechargeable LED hand held stick lights for about Ā£9, don't know if they are the ones mentioned above. They have a hook on top, you can hang them in the awning or in the toilet blocks (for those very annoying short-timed lights that leave you sitting in the dark) - is sitting the right word? - and can tuck away into the front seat back pockets. I've had them for years, possibly ten, and find them more useful than heavy hand-held search lights.

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
I have a couple of Led Lenser M7r torches. Brilliant ( sorry!) torches, very bright, with adjustable beam, and can be charged via usb and mains. Expensive, but worth every penny. Don't bother with the more expensive M7rx, one of ours is the X and there is very little observable difference between the two.
Mrs A is impressed with them, so they must be good.

I can second that recommendation, wired permanently to the 12v leisure battery via a usb socket, magnetically fixed to base charge unit so does not roll around and easy to pick up and replace, only charges when it is required then goes into sleep mode so always charged and beam is great, either wide or focused. A few pounds more than others but guaranteed to work when you need it most without looking for 3 AAA batteries you may have in one of those cupboards, if only you had a light to find them with!!!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Sacre Bleu!! I've just looked up the Lenser M7r torches ( coz I quite fancied putting one on my Christmas list). Cheapest was around 80 quid!! FOR A TORCH!!!!! Bloody Nora :eek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have loads of torches, but the most useful are the little metal ones with 6 quite low powered LEDS. They are incredibly cheap and as they are so small and light you can have one in every coat. They are not hugely bright but enough to see you way with. The plus is that they take three AAA cells, and in many years of using these I have never replaced a battery.

A bit like these but sometimes you see them in pound shops, two for a pound.

Broken Link Removed

t660

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
bury lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 1999
Hi I bought a small light weight lantern type from Machine Mart cost about Ā£ 25 but had it for about 12 mths now and it's great

Attachments

• 20151119_080237.jpg
    20151119_080237.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 5
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've got one of the Aldi inspection lamps and I was surprised by how much light it gives, charges off 240v or 12v.
Broken Link Removed

MyDogsTooBig

Free Member
Nov 19, 2015
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Inbetween
Exp
Since 2010
Look for one with a COB LED chip. CREE is a single chip, far brighter than LEDs that look like little LED bulbs. COB is a plate with multiple chips on it, so small and tightly packed together, you can hardly see the gap between them. The light output is therefore many times brighter than CREE. The chips are all made in China, so buy the cheapest with the largest amount of lumens. Li-on battery means light lots of power for a long time. The shape and charging type is up to you. You may say that buying a 'proper' make is better. Well the LED chip may last longer, due to better quality control at manufacture, but the price may mean you could buy several cheap ones for it. The look and feel are important, but the LED chip and battery are really all that matters. There is nothing else in a LED torch. I just type in COB LED into eBay, find the cheapest that looks okay and buy it. UK or China, I have never had anything not arrive from China and buying auto bulbs this way save lots of money.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
I use this for packing up my tools at work.
Lasts about 3.5 hrs charges on 12v & 240v
Ā£29.99 @ Screwfix

Had mine for 18 months with no problems.

image.jpeg

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Lidl and Aldi do some rechargeable LED hand held stick lights for about Ā£9, don't know if they are the ones mentioned above. They have a hook on top, you can hang them in the awning or in the toilet blocks (for those very annoying short-timed lights that leave you sitting in the dark) - is sitting the right word? - and can tuck away into the front seat back pockets. I've had them for years, possibly ten, and find them more useful than heavy hand-held search lights.
Yes, those are the ones!! There's a magnet so they stick on underneath the bonnet, outside in the awning on the side of the van, etc. Really good, cheap, and last years (but make sure you charge it with the correct charger that it comes with, I ruined one like that)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back