Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
It would be interesting to know from all of you that purchased a motorhome from a dealer.

How many times did it have to go back to the dealers in just the first year.
How far was that dealer was from your home.
Who manufactured your van.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
150 miles from home and returned 4 times in first 3 months. Never again will I deal with the dealer!! To the extent I wouldn't use them to undertake the annual hab service that is required for the manufacturers warranty.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
It would be interesting to know from all of you that purchased a motorhome from a dealer.

How many times did it have to go back to the dealers in just the first year.
How far was that dealer was from your home.
Who manufactured your van.

1. Once
2. 200 miles +
3. Hymer

Stef.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
None in the first year, just minor problems in the second year.
Brought from Belgium dealer 170 miles away, taken it back twice to local dealer 20 miles away would have only been once, but they sent the wrong part, only minor faults, if there had not been a local dealer probably wouldn't have bothered.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No problems with our Murvi bought directly from the manufacturer five miles from our home in the first two years. We had a minor cosmetic issue recently which they fixed free of charge. They also replaced the water pump with a different model. We hadn't had any problems but they said a few of the original pumps had failed so they were replacing them.

Our experience gives the lie to the belief you can't get a well made MH from a UK manufacturer or get good service.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
1. None - 10yr old MH purchased last year
2. 30 miles Motorhome Depot, Padworth
3. Adria

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
So far, once to have some options fitted and once to have some minor warranty work done on fresh water tank. Dealer is 160 miles away so we had the work done in conjunction with long weekend trips to the Peak District.

Allan

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
1st Moho - once a few months from new in 2009, to cure a prob that was identified by the dealer before they handed it over, they'd done the repair to stop it which it did, but the cosmetic result meant further work was necessary. That completed, nothing else thereafter. A Swift Bessacarr, from Marquis at Billing, Northants.

2nd Moho - the installation of the solar panel they'd taken off the Bessie we PX'd needed sorting - we actually needed this doing whilst on hols in France for a few months just after purchase in March 2013 and it would certainly have gone back to Hayes at Wolverhampton had we been here, and we might have expected them to do it (dunno really, it wasn't their fault) except for the cost of the regulator (also off the Bessie) which turned out to be the prob, they weren't to know that and nobody could tell it had gone before we went as it was wall to wall snow in between pick-up and travel to France. So with the van itself - no problems really. The fridge vent got sludged up a bit quick and stopped working on gas (that first summer) but Dometic came here and sorted that out under warranty but as far as Pilote are concerned - so far - zilch!

Hab services on both done by Mark from Central Leisure Services, vehicle servicing done by Alan from arrgghh - what is the business called? Both done here on our drive anyway! so no travelling involved.

More than happy with everyone and everybody so far thanks!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
1.Twice. ( + Once to Autosleeper factory in Wellesley, but they collected it and brought it back and did a free hab check)
2. 15 miles away.
3. Autosleeper

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Returned once. This was for a replacement leisure battery. The other minor problems I prefer to rectify myself . Without trying to sound like a clever arse I take my time and put things right better than most so called engineers have the time or inclination to do.
I don't mess with gas or electrics though and when it comes to fitting Solar or Satellite kit I will go to the recognised expert traders we have here on this forum .

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
None...
365 miles each way.... Bought in April 2015

Not been back - Don't envisage being back until April 2016

However, the few snags surfaced - which I fixed... as they where so small that I felt it didn't warrant the hassle.. Oh! I am a competent DIY'er (Builder in previous life - and it's just a house on wheels)

e.g... Sink waste had a small leak - sorted with silicone from garage... Hinge (plastic) came adrift - screw had been over tightened.. refixed and still ok...
Roof light outer casing coming adrift - two ( hidden ) screws sorted it...

Knaus Sky I A-class

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Once, and that was because I asked him to fit Gaslow, so not because of a problem.
300 miles from where we are now, but 60 when we bought it.
Hymer

Gary

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Purchased May 2014 from Hayes leisure darlaston - Pilote G690 A class.

Went back once en route to somewhere for the fuel filler surround to be sorted (I could have done this myself but was passing and it was a minor warranty issue) and again in May this year for a hab service. All other issues were very minor ones and first class telephone support from them enabled things to be sorted.

Will probably take the van back there next May but only if passing as it is nearly 3 hours away. I only bought from them in the first place after reading about their good reputation, which proved to be correct

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
1. None
2. 100 miles ish
3. Rapido

There's a very minor issue now, one that I wasn't going to bother with a warranty claim for as the cost in time and fuel to take it anywhere would have been more than the cost of buying the part and doing it myself. I spoke to a different dealer whose parts department are brilliant and they, at their suggestion, have managed to get Rapido to authorise supplying the part under warranty for me to fit myself which I wasn't expecting. Result (y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
3 times
220 miles
Niesmann & Bischoff

The problems were not with the motorhome itself but items within it, eg oven.

We've since found out that there was a general problem with the fans in that they weren't strong enough to keep the unit cool. It was a known problem so I don't know why Niesmann & Bischoff didn't recall the models affected as it would have saved a lot of frustration and wasted time!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
this motorhome. new .... Adria; 60 miles , none .

previous motorhome . new.... CI; 20 miles; about 15 times and took 2 years to resolve issues found in first week.

There is build quality and there is dealer quality; you need both.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
New Autotrail Tracker bought from Simpsons of Great Yarmouth March 2014 .
15 miles away.
Been back 5 or 6 times..
1. New hab door flyscreen under warranty.
2. Two new side windows under warranty.
3. Two attempts to fix waste water "full" warning system.
4. Top fridge vent renewed under warranty.
5. Accident repair (after Italy trip) superb job done.

An excellent dealer with a well trained team of technicians.
After reading that it sounds like I get paid for that report !!!
But you asked !!!
Mitch. (y)(y)(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Twice in 8 months.

Once called in while passing to have a fuse rating checked and changed.
Once to have two faulty LED lights replaced.

35 miles

Swift Esprit.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
5 times (yes five) on a new van. Most were relatively minor some of which I could have done myself but since we had to visit for some major jobs I got them done by the dealer. The major jobs were a new Hab door, replacement alloy wheels (6) which had discoloured under the top clear coat and a replacement for the 6m Prostor awning - the gearbox clearly wasn't man enough for the torque required for winding in and out so CamperUK replaced it with an Omnistor which has since proved reliable.
120 miles each way but we managed to incorporate each trip with some other purpose either a rally or on our way to/from the ferry.
Burstner Elegance 890i

Deleted User
Brownhills, Autotrail.

Immediately after delivery, realised a part for kitchen main cabinet was missing, Brownhills initial response bring it back 400 mile round trip. Said nope source the part post to us we will do it ourselves. Twice sent us incorrect part, made up didn't even bother to contact Auto Trail for correct one, so I contacted Auto Trail Grimsby and they arranged at zero notice for us to go to their factory on the last day before the summer shutdown and fitted missing part, also made adjustments to sliding van door whilst there. Second problem oven didn't stay lit contacted Auto Trail and got details of an approved engineer few miles from Portsmouth where we were staying, they were great immediately found fault, knew what it was as a known fault. Contacted Brownhills to update as they are the purchase dealer have no choice other than to use them for rejection if goods. There response no, we won't take your engineers word for it you will have to bring it to us to allow us to inspect. Me no I wont, your engineer can speak ours, after much debate told them they would be doing it the correct way or my next call would be to report them to Trading Standards, ok will call you back, called me back yes that's fine our engineer will speak to yours. They seem to go out of their way to be awkward and cause unnecessary inconvenience at all times and even when given simpler solution still try it on.
Any easy fix stuff do ourselves, but not gas.
Edit make sure if you do ever go back to your dealer for a problem put it in writing, email and state you will be attending and will be giving them one opportunity only to rectify the problem, if it isn't fixed or breaks again you will then move to rejection of goods and require either a new one or a refund of the cost. Tends to focus them to fix first time.
Lin :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Autotrail Delaware, 3 yrs old.
Fridge lost cooling, wife insisted dealer in Midlands should repair it, we are near Bordeaux !!
Friend (pictured) and I cleaned soot out of burner vent, 2 hours later, fridge now icing on fins.
Nice German brought along old baby bottle brush, he does his once a year!!
Then fridge door jammed, bent some wire, opened it, attached fishing line to catch in case of further jamming, got new one once home off internet, £22 and fitted in 10 minutes.
No need for dealer unless MAJOR problem.

soot.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Live in Kendal, bought it in Portsmouth, haven't been back. Like a few others I'd rather do any repairs myself.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Milliemobile : same dealer I used!! Had to ask the salesman to inform the MD that I would be taking legal advice if their after sales team didn't stop giving me the runaround.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Once , 20 miles , unholy row with customer desk totally uneccesary as boss fitter came out of workshop did a quick inspection told assissant to go back to office and order three new windows foc /rebook for fitting , Elldis Autoquest 120 2004 3 months old windows were all faulty manufacturing fault.cracking in all the corners,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back